Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:36:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I am in the process of opening a Bitcoin-accepting computer hardware store...  (Read 5984 times)
Anonymous

April 03, 2011, 07:53:34 PM

I am in the process of opening a Bitcoin-accepting computer hardware store and I want to know what products you all prefer. I plan to start with a line including essential components:  motherboards, CPUS, memory, GPUs and etc. to allow customers to get complete builds going. I have my eyes set on Gigabyte, Asus and Foxconn as starting manufacturers.

I still want to get your word. What do you usually purchase when it comes to computer hardware? What are your requirements? Manufacturers? GPU models?

Thank you!
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PLATO

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
April 03, 2011, 10:42:13 PM

When I build a system, I'm usually looking on Newegg for ideal price/performance ratios. I don't get the highest end graphics card, instead I get, say, the second-best last year's model, secure in the knowledge that it'll last a couple years at half the cost of the alternatives. You can probably trawl Newegg for the most popular components and just carry those.

This is really cool btw - good luck!

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 12:19:26 AM

As Plato once said,
When I build a system, I'm usually looking on Newegg for ideal price/performance ratios.

What about specialty items for moding or special purpose computers?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 02:37:00 AM

I usually have more computer junk laying around than I could possibly want.  But here are some ideas that might resonate with the BTC audience:

Graphics cards that are good for mining (high performance / watt)
Open source compatible hardware
Arduinos
Water cooling stuff
Rackmount stuff

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
demonofelru

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 04:09:16 AM

One thing that would be REALLY cool but may be hard to do is some niche stuff like guaranteed steppings for CPU's I remember I didn't want to purchase a q9550 from newegg for a while because I wanted to have the newer stepping.  Could also work with something like vertex 2's you could sell guaranteed 35nm nand ones. 

Names do not matter; however, if you insist...id...
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2011, 04:43:51 AM

I don't actually buy a lot of hardware, because my requirements are pretty modest and I rarely discover a need to upgrade. But my next upgrade will probably be a solid-state drive, and I will definitely look at your store if it has reasonable prices on those.

I really like ITX and low-power stuff, since I like the idea of building dedicated machines for different purposes. (Still need to get around to that car PC.) Having "guides" for things like building a DVR or a home security system would be cool.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 05:16:28 AM

I usually have more computer junk laying around than I could possibly want.  But here are some ideas that might resonate with the BTC audience:

Graphics cards that are good for mining (high performance / watt)
Open source compatible hardware
Arduinos
Water cooling stuff
Rackmount stuff
Would arduinos fit in this category? Wouldn't that be just more of a general electronics component?

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
qed

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 09:33:58 AM

I like this initiative! Go for something very standard and nothing like modding/watercooling or other useless stuff.

Mobile App (Android)

Monitor miners, exchange rates and Bitcoin network stats.
Diablo

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 09:37:44 AM

I really like ITX and low-power stuff, since I like the idea of building dedicated machines for different purposes. (Still need to get around to that car PC.) Having "guides" for things like building a DVR or a home security system would be cool.
I'd be interested in this too. My computers powerful enough for now, but we our satellite contract is over and current old computer I'm using is a bit loud.
TenthReality

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 12:03:16 PM

Arduinos

Big plug here, arduino/offshoots, shields, standard components would be a fantastic thing to spend btc on.
fetokun

Activity: 210

Presale is live!

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 12:09:15 PM

I'd like the simple stuff that everybody needs from time to time: mouses, keyboards, headsets,... =D

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 12:55:51 PM

You'll need to build trust. Don't sell junk you wouldn't use yourself. Don't go for highend (except maybe mining stuff). Remember that computer hardware tends to rot over time (prices falling), so keep the selection small.

I'd probably buy from you if shipping is cheap and fast enough (germany) and prices are not too much above EUR

My BTC 0.02

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
sirius
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429
Merit: 974

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 01:03:21 PM

Competing with big suppliers sounds difficult. You could buy used stuff from ebayers and bitcoiners who are in need of quick money. Verify it works and resell with a profit margin.

Iris — for better social networks
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.
­­­Atlas_

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 01:07:15 PM

Competing with big suppliers sounds difficult. You could buy used stuff from ebayers and bitcoiners who are in need of quick money. Verify it works and resell with a profit margin.
The big suppliers don't accept Bitcoin. I think that is sufficient reason alone to test this venture. Anyways, retail isn't too difficult. ...and when it comes to the bigger guys, you just have to one-up them one weakness at a time.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2011, 01:21:10 PM

The big suppliers don't accept Bitcoin. I think that is sufficient reason alone to test this venture. Anyways, retail isn't too difficult. ...and when it comes to the bigger guys, you just have to one-up them one weakness at a time.

Price is a big issue.  With companies like Newegg shipping on time with wholesale like prices you do not have much room to compete.  If you price an item anymore then 15% above newegg most people will convert bitcoins to $ and just purchase at Newegg.   

­­­Atlas_

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 01:25:01 PM

Price is a big issue.  With companies like Newegg shipping on time with wholesale like prices you do not have much room to compete.  If you price an item anymore then 15% above newegg most people will convert bitcoins to $ and just purchase at Newegg.   
I'll verify the sustainability with my distributor once the paperwork goes through. Newegg may be near mid-tier distributor-level but they certainly don't have a monopoly.
PLATO

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 01:29:06 PM

Consider getting volume discounts from places like monoprice.com and dealextreme.com

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
­­­Atlas_

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 01:35:43 PM

Consider getting volume discounts from places like monoprice.com and dealextreme.com
Buy from retail and then sell it retail? Heh?

http://www.metalez.com/photos/web%20images/Supply-Chain-Management.jpg

When you purchase from the distributor, "volume discounts" are innate. It's how retail works. : P
PLATO

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 01:39:46 PM

cool graph. monoprice is both a manufacturer and a distributor, dealextreme, I assume is just a distributor. both are far cheaper than retail

­­­Atlas_

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 01:46:34 PM

Hm, I see. Well, when I see that ordinary consumers can purchase from these guys, I assume they have to raise their prices for retail overhead. I'll consider them regardless.

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: