Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:03:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What form of physical bitcoins would you prefer?
High Quality Paper (similar to dollar - ala PrintCoins)
Coins (ala Casascius)
Business cards (thin cardstock)
Plastic Cards (credit card/gift card medium) (ala BitBills)
Other (suggest in thread)
I am not likely to buy physical bitcoins

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What form of physical bitcoins would you prefer?  (Read 2687 times)
PrintCoins (OP)

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 10:56:15 PM

Only vote if you would intend to actually buy them.

I am trying to determine what form to really make PrintCoins in. Before starting I was flipping back and forth between business cards and paper fiat style bills. The bills just happened because I happened to have a ream of really good paper available and no business card sheets.

After talking with Mike (Casascius) some, I realize that coins aren't as big of a cost compared to the actual holograms (and the effort).

I think the plastic form would just not be worth it since it would require a plastic printer. Also if you had 5 bills in your wallet, it would be bursting at the seems.

What would your preference be, and if you have some reasons, feel free to post here.

Feel free to multi-select if you are cool with any one of multiple formats.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
istar

Activity: 523
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 11:14:45 PM

You need a great design, something that makes people go wow and for that, the material is important but so is the design and they need to go hand in hand.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
PrintCoins (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 11:25:56 PM

What do you think of the current design?
http://printcoins.com/images/gallery/spread.jpg

Please be more descriptive than good/bad. I am looking for what to improve if anything.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 11:32:32 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2011, 11:55:46 PM by cbeast

Howsabout CVD Superdiamonds with single atom arrangements forming the keys.  Grin

Really before we go crazy over physical bitcoin, shouldn't we have a way to redeem them that doesn't require 3 forms of ID and 8-10 business days.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
kronosvl

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 11:49:51 PM

I was thinking that we could have have something like a credit/debit card with chip(without magnetic strip)
This chip will be somewhat like TPM is now(mostly in laptops). No way to know what it data contains exactly just some communication gates/functions. You can know what addresses contains but the chip will never release their private keys, you will have to request a transaction signing to the chip itself. This way you will always have bitcoin wallet with you, maybe protected by a PIN.
The private keys are on that card(chip) only. Lose it and you will lose money, just like walet with cash these days but the thief/founder will not be able to spend them.

I don't know if somebody else has already described something similar in a different thread, just thinking out-loud.

Ofcourse this asumes that we will also have lot's of machines (on comerciants) that can use this card.
The simplest form would be something like a card reader (modified ofcourse) with a software that knows about the chip.

Donations are accepted @: 19Uk8zVhdgfrRo5Z6wH9yghWxZUtdiNtX9
OTC: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewgpg.php?nick=kronosvl
PrintCoins (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 12:00:54 AM

I think mobile phones end up working better than credit cards since they can act like credit cards, and no fancy extra hardware is needed. In fact I think phones will replace credit cards in the future (if this bitcoin thing doesn't work out)

Physical bitcoins I think are more off grid transactions and for new users that don't have wallet software. They are also good for people that just like cash.

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 09:44:43 AM

Howsabout CVD Superdiamonds with single atom arrangements forming the keys.  Grin

Really before we go crazy over physical bitcoin, shouldn't we have a way to redeem them that doesn't require 3 forms of ID and 8-10 business days.

StrongCoin lets you do it quickly and securely.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 09:51:01 AM

Please be more descriptive than good/bad. I am looking for what to improve if anything.

I think some sort of background imagery would help. Perhaps a faded picture of a pile of bullion, or maybe you can create a theme for the product and have a different pic on each denomination... since these are paper, perhaps the 1btc note could show a nursery of pine saplings, the 100btc note could show a single majestic oak, etc.

Leaving just the bitcoin symbol by itself is just a little too simple, imho.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
tritium

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 11:26:00 AM

i agree that it needs some sort of background image, english notes have famous/influential people, USA has presidents. bitcoins could have cryptographers, computing pioneers, revolutionaries. anything that can be associated with bitcoins

1FCzN34C1xCLsDaLxfY7yB5CQKN74ruGHV
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 11:43:12 AM

i agree that it needs some sort of background image, english notes have famous/influential people, USA has presidents. bitcoins could have cryptographers, computing pioneers, revolutionaries. anything that can be associated with bitcoins

This is an outstanding idea.

Charles Babbage
Claude Shannon
Alan Turing
Gordon Moore
Jack Kilby

and there's many more.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 12:04:01 PM

Put a picture of Moh Jesus on it.  Shocked

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
db

Activity: 279
Merit: 261

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 12:20:22 PM

Design for global use. I assume you wish them to be used not just in the USA? Drop the USA legalese ("not recognized as legal tender"). Remove all usage of the English language. Look at the Euro notes, they don't require the users to know any particular language. That includes the plural "s"; make it "5 Bitcoin" instead of "5 Bitcoins".
db

Activity: 279
Merit: 261

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 12:27:29 PM

And "bitcoin" or "BITCOIN" for the unit, instead of "Bitcoin" which means the system.
PrintCoins (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 04:37:45 PM

I think some sort of background imagery would help. Perhaps a faded picture of a pile of bullion, or maybe you can create a theme for the product and have a different pic on each denomination... since these are paper, perhaps the 1btc note could show a nursery of pine saplings, the 100btc note could show a single majestic oak, etc.

Leaving just the bitcoin symbol by itself is just a little too simple, imho.

The size of the coin increases logarithmically based upon its value. I have printed 0.01 bitcoin bills while testing, and the coin in the middle is only a few centimeters. The 100 BTC bill fills the bill to the point where it almost overlaps the text.

I might do commemorative bills with different people and events, and do limited runs (semi-collector items). The mainline bills (big center coin) I would like to keep away from the cult of personality.

oOoOo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 11:20:46 PM

You can use this little tool (OSX only ATM) to create a new wallet.dat containing your priv key. Note however, this tool does not support encryption or any advanced features, it just creates a wallet with a single key in it.
I already started working on an updated version, but this takes a lot of time, so I can not make any announcements right now.

hf
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2011, 11:30:03 PM

You can use this little tool (OSX only ATM) to create a new wallet.dat containing your priv key. Note however, this tool does not support encryption or any advanced features, it just creates a wallet with a single key in it.
I already started working on an updated version, but this takes a lot of time, so I can not make any announcements right now.

hf

I'm naming my next child oOoOo

kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 08:48:44 PM

All of those physical solutions allow the private key to be read without damaging the 'seal', so i won't use them Smiley

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 09:37:00 PM

Huh, I'm the only one who ticked "other"? Huh I guess I have to explain myself then. Wink

Let me add, I don't necessarily switch away from Casascius. I like both his brass 1 BTC and gold plated 25 BTC coins, even with better design decisions, his craftsmanship will be hard to top.

But at times, they seem a little... conservative. Gold-bar imitations, silver coins... meh, come on. It's Bitcoin, do something avant-garde! I'm thinking rings with spirals inward, or rectangular coins like the old Asian ones, or a yin-yang colored disc with text instead of the dots, or... you get the idea. Cool, novel eye-catchers, not something that looks like an imitation of ordinary stuff from 20 years ago!

I'm just a fan of the combination of exotic design with high crafting skill. I guess this is again a lost cause, because it looks cheap and stupid if done wrong and I'm the only one who voted "other" in the first place.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 10:30:46 PM

All of those physical solutions allow the private key to be read without damaging the 'seal', so i won't use them Smiley
I have many of the coins and I have tried very hard to read the private key without damaging the hologram - to no avail.  Please explain how you can read the private key from one of the coins without damaging the seal/hologram.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: