Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:21:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Lightning] The Lightning Address  (Read 489 times)
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2021, 11:16:39 AM
Merited by Rath_ (1)

You can't do that with Lightning invoices because they do expire. Hence Lightning Addresses, don't expire and don't expose your privacy.
I think lightning address can be easily replaced by Lightning features like lnurl-pay, keysend and offers.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
September 10, 2021, 12:27:03 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

BlueWallet added support for Lightning Address a few days ago. I don't think that it supports keysend payments so it's a quite surprising turn of events to me.
ndalliard (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 177

View Profile
September 11, 2021, 08:46:46 AM

BlueWallet added support for Lightning Address a few days ago. I don't think that it supports keysend payments so it's a quite surprising turn of events to me.
saw that too. i personally would prefer that bolt12 finds adoption, with which you can achieve the same that lightning address achieves
PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
September 11, 2021, 08:35:49 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

According to the documentation, for all intents and purposes, you must be hosting your own email server in order to use this program. You cannot use popular email providers such as gmail (unless such email provider decides to offer this type of service in the future).
no you don't have to host your own email server to offer a lightning address. it only uses the known format of an email address, besides that, it has nothing to do with email or email hosting or email servers. you are right, that gmail doesn't offer lightning address atm
Well, according to the documentation, you need to control the domain in order for this to work as intended. For example, if my email is PN7@google.com, if someone was directed to go to google_ln_payments.com/.well-known/lnurlp/PN7 in order to pay me via LN, how would they know the owner of PN7@google.com would receive the payment? Anyone who controls the other domain would be able to receive the payment.

I don't see many email providers offering this type of service due to the increased risk of account hijackings. The majority of email services are intended for personal use, and this type of service is really for business users.
i disagree about that last part. we are basically talking about sending bitcoin, that is personal
In general, someone receiving a "personal" number of payments can create a LN invoice (or generate a bitcoin address) on an ad-hoc basis manually. A business will typically need to automate the generation of LN invoices and the generation of bitcoin addresses for their customers to pay.
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2021, 11:17:44 PM

A business will typically need to automate the generation of LN invoices and the generation of bitcoin addresses for their customers to pay.
... and for that, they can just use lnurl-pay or host a BTCPay Server.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
September 13, 2021, 04:11:10 AM

A business will typically need to automate the generation of LN invoices and the generation of bitcoin addresses for their customers to pay.
... and for that, they can just use lnurl-pay or host a BTCPay Server.
Or they could use the software being promoted in the OP. I was trying to make the point that the software in the OP has a target market of businesses, not individuals acting as not in a business capacity.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: