Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:11:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Energy saving idea I just had  (Read 163 times)
badbbware (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 26, 2021, 02:25:39 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2021, 06:21:08 PM by badbbware
Merited by ABCbits (1), Pmalek (1)

Hi!  Smiley

It's just an idea for energy saving in any proof-of-work chain.

Half-overlapped 'serialing'

The basic idea is that m2 (miner 2) re-computes what m1 (miner 1) already has computed. I'm interested in the case where m1 does not tell m2 the result, but gives m2 the same puzzle, and m2 adds the same amount of work himself. That is the overlapping. The miners make a serially-nested hashes-chain on top of the normal PoW-chain.

In other words, it is the additional puzzles-chain for slowing down the PoW-chain, and it looks like this:

Code:
[-b1-]  [-b3-]  etc
    [-b2-]  [-b4-]

Code:
   exact same work
   |
   V
 b1->       arrow is the hashing done by the previous miner
   ->b2     arrow is the hashing done by the current miner
     b2->   arrow is the hashing done by the current miner
       ->b3 arrow is the hashing done by the next miner

and so on

The puzzle making takes N computations, the puzzle solving also takes N computations.

The puzzles are for energy saving, they are not the Proof of Work.

h(x) = hash(x)

Blocks:
b1 b2 b3 b4

Their miners:
m1 m2 m3 m4

So in this picture each miner happens to mine one PoW block, in other words, m1,m2 etc are the successful miners.

Steps:

m1
1. x1 = 0
2. Miner m1 computes h(h(h(x1)))... Serial, nested hashing, N times. Value b1_r is the result.
3. b1_r_h = h(b1_r + 1).

Alternative method for step 3:
3a. b1_r_h = h(b1_r).
I think the keyed hash looks easier to remember, but hashing hardware might benefit from needing less different instructions, so 3a might be faster.  

x1 is the ever ongoing x that is partially kept secret by calculating b1_r_h. The next successful miner has to find the pre-image b1_r.

4. x1 and b1_r_h are stored in the block b1.
5. Then m1 mines the actual block, using b1_r_h for the top of the usual Merkle hashing.

m2
1. The block b2 will only be valid if it has used b1_r as x for the h(h(h(x))).
2. Since miner m2 does not know (and as it fits to BFT, cannot know) b1_r, he re-computes what m1 did N times.
3. Then m2 will know b1_r and makes an equal-work-check: b1_r_h == h(b1_r + 1).
4. m2 now acts the same as m1 started, starting with x2 = b1_r.
5. Here is the first time the connection between two blocks is made, because b1 was the genesis block and just used zero as x1.
6. From here on everything just repeats.

The equal-work-check is the check that every client also needs in the end, and the user community should do the same checks, slowly. They should do so in a probabilistic way or centralized validation center with a trust mechanism, so that user clients don't get denial-of-service attacked by noise blocks, and have faster access to the transactions data.

N amount of serial work will be done two times by each miner. N times can be as big as you want, but it introduces the risk. A faster single thread worker can use more time for parallelism when it uses less time for the serial work amount N. The benefit of N is to get in-between hardware-off phases so to speak.

Why

Assumption: In 'normal BTC' blocks next to each other are not likely to be mined by the same party in game theory.

Conclusion: So in 'half-overlapped serialing BTC' the current miner will not be likely to give his secret to the next miner, because they don't cooperate. If they cooperate, it will not save energy. But there should not be the risk of a 51% attack by a slow chain, because there is no way to spare out the serialing-block between two conventional blocks.

The puzzle making takes as long as the puzzle solving. Adjacent miners will, by BTC rules and probability not know the (additional) secret.
And it cannot be guessed with parallelism, because h() is not a reduced entropy hash as used for PoW targets, it's the hard one, e.g. sha256(), and the so called serialing (not to be confused with the normal chaining of the underlying PoW-chain) consists of nested hash computations. Ideally it is simpler than a cryptographically secure hash and is hard to optimize over a certain limit in hardware.

The overlapping double work is the key idea. It's there for mitigating the worst case: Everyone knows all secrets. In this case, it should not exist a fast path for checking validity as it would be the case when using Makwa or LCS35, or even discrete logarithm puzzles. With the latter parallelism is an option, and with the other two the fast path makes calculating an unwanted new chain faster by a too big amount.

My conclusion

So, a block chain can be slowed down. And it can be made so that there is no way to create an unwanted block-chain by being the adjacent miners yourself in a too efficient way.

This is because the attacker (conspired cooperating miners) will in effect have to compute N times h() and will only be faster than non-cooperating miners by this factor:

2 * // no re-computation needed
single_thread_factor // faster hardware

So single thread performance will benefit the attacker, but ideally it's not sufficient, as there is no way become faster than the proposed factor (2 * stf) at the serialism part than the non-conspiring general public.

In the best scenario, the parallelism should outweigh the serial work, so fast and limited hardware would be the ideal base for it. The risk is there, but with a fail proof way it should come down to comparing single thread performances, or proving that a physical device has a speed limit for a wanted effect to take place.

In an old post I had some basic formula of how likely the attack is with a speed increase of some x - can't find it, too tired. Whether there is no possible attack would still have to to be investigated. There is, but the result should be found out.

I don't see how this could be easily attacked or parallelized. What it indeed does is making chain validation and clients slow, but that work could be delegated and trusted and should have no environmental footprint.

Maybe it can be attacked and my post is dumb, but i tried. Smiley My older scheme fell apart much quicker. I'm not sure about the pseudo code and the hash-chaining. But the 'm1 doesn't tell m2 the secret' should work. It's not a must, but a risk. The idea is just that each time this happens, energy is being saved.

I have had a few other ideas, but this one looks solid. If anyone want to help, you're welcome. In particular, calculating the attack risk with single thread speed factors between user and attacker. Maybe there is some good mitigation system that could be found.
Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
September 26, 2021, 02:37:20 AM

Let me suggest you to move this topic to Development & Technical Discussion board, I'm sure you will get better input there rather than on this board.
badbbware (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2021, 05:21:38 AM

Let me suggest you to move this topic to Development & Technical Discussion board, I'm sure you will get better input there rather than on this board.

Thank you! Smiley
Meitzi

Activity: 7
Merit: 9

View Profile
September 26, 2021, 09:38:25 AM
Merited by pooya87 (2), ABCbits (2), odolvlobo (1), Pmalek (1)

I will admit, technically I dont understand what you propose. (details)

But questions is, what problem are you trying to solve?
energy? You cant save energy when it is proof of work.

Lets assume, somehow we come to agree to make Bitcoin HARDER (you know, lets burn some fuel) to solve. Lets say, we will somehow make it 10 times harder to solve.
Do you know what will happen? Bitcoin network will just ADJUST itself back where it was. (10 minute mark) It does not MAKE ANY difference.
You are making a change, which will not make ANY difference. Right?

badbbware (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2021, 11:24:26 AM
Last edit: September 26, 2021, 12:08:18 PM by badbbware

But you can try to do something like the other proof schemes and puzzles which try to be bound by memory size and the like. My proposal is quite the same, but is based on password hashing and trying to stop the chain.

Lets assume, somehow we come to agree to make Bitcoin HARDER (you know, lets burn some fuel) to solve. Lets say, we will somehow make it 10 times harder to solve.
Do you know what will happen? Bitcoin network will just ADJUST itself back where it was. (10 minute mark) It does not MAKE ANY difference.

Block time and difficulty should be no problem. I think they would adjust like the difficulty target would do with a falling hashrate.

I believe it would make a difference. The physical work is power over time. For the time where the additional input to the block is unknown, the usual proof work cannot be done. So energy is saved.

I think the drawbacks are: 1) It increases the likelihood of a 51% attack, which could be mitigated down to the speed factor 2 by creating and making accessible the fastest possible hashing hardware. 2) It makes validating the block-chain slower for the end-user. Benefits: 1) Some energy saving.

Btw: The 'attack factor' 2 for the waiting work must not affect the PoW hash rate. Working out how it benefits the attacker is tricky. I believe it depends on the length of the malicious chain the attacker aims for and the hash rate of the victims. Maybe at some time my math will be right, I don't know. Still need time for the game theory issue, that is why I also asked for some help.

Assumption: In 'normal BTC' blocks next to each other are not likely to be mined by the same party in game theory.

But it's not that unlikely to 2 blocks mined within very short interval, where usually these blocks mined by same pool.

This is true. But it does not immediately stop the idea from being of some value.

The amount of saved energy would rely on the byzantine fault tolerance, so I think at least some energy could be saved at a calculated risk.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
September 26, 2021, 08:13:12 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Right?

I think that is a bad assumption because it is actually a common occurrence, and also because your scheme would promote selfish mining -- the miner producing a block has an advantage that depends on the value of N.

But you can try to do something like the other proof schemes and puzzles which try to be bound by memory size and the like. My proposal is quite the same, but is based on password hashing and trying to stop the chain.

I believe it would make a difference. The physical work is power over time. For the time where the additional input to the block is unknown, the usual proof work cannot be done. So energy is saved.

Perhaps I don't understand something, but I agree with Meitzi. According to the design of Bitcoin's PoW, the average cost of mining a block approaches the average value of the block reward. That is why more a efficient hardware (in terms of J/hash) does not change energy consumption. How does your scheme change this design?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Meitzi

Activity: 7
Merit: 9

View Profile
September 27, 2021, 02:48:49 AM

Hypothetical question,
If you would to like install cryptography weakness,
would that be good spot? (A backdoor)
badbbware (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2021, 02:56:34 AM

Right?

Yes, I think some of these bugs I would only catch when trying to program it or really go through it. Thank you.

I think that is a bad assumption because it is actually a common occurrence, and also because your scheme would promote selfish mining -- the miner producing a block has an advantage that depends on the value of N.

But how would I know whether it makes it impossible to save energy? I believe I understand that the attacker has twice the speed, that alone is a big problem. And selfish miners go on top of that. But then I have to admit, my scheme falls apart again.

Perhaps I don't understand something, but I agree with Meitzi. According to the design of Bitcoin's PoW, the average cost of mining a block approaches the average value of the block reward. That is why more a efficient hardware (in terms of J/hash) does not change energy consumption. How does your scheme change this design?

Now I understand it. But I thought when one would try and risk attacks, and try a long pause, then miners would not be able to scale. You (the miner) need a higher peak power than you already get, which should be the maximum you can get, because the hardware isn't the limit, right? And you want the maximum amount of money already without my scheme. So, shouldn't a pause give some "power relief" at all?

But I think I do get it, it can scale at the hardware and power consumption when the price changes. But the limits (and so the scaling) are unclear to me, I personally would just try and see, if I were really interested in creating it, which I am not.

You're right, the scheme has problems.

Hypothetical question,
If you would to like install cryptography weakness,
would that be good spot? (A backdoor)

Yes, if the cryptographic safety is too much and has a cost.
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5814

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2021, 04:12:43 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

This is my understanding as well. A different way to put it: if all miners get 10x more efficient, thus hashing with the same hashrate and 10x less energy, people will run 10x as many machines, the difficulty goes up 10x and BTC consumes the same amount of energy.
This is not an issue of your proposal, but a general concept that can't really be circumvented when coins are minted using energy.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████