Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:26:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The future of old gpus  (Read 221 times)
JayDDee

Activity: 1386
Merit: 220

View Profile
October 12, 2021, 09:22:11 PM

Every new PoW algorithm starts with low memory like 1GB until time pass by and they grow over 4GB just like how ETH DAG grows over 4GB today so every GPUs will always have a chance to mine new coins until DAG file grows over the GPU max memory

Every new PoW algorithm starts with low memory? Dude learn more about mining, algorithm and so on. This is complete wrong.
You are the only one who don't understand what I meant, I don't have to go too deep in details but since you got me wrong I will say more about it, what I really meant was a brand new coin will be more easier to mine with even small graphic cards that has 1GB or 2GB memory on them, for example Ethereum Classic can be mined with a 3GB GPU as we speak

You can't pretend you meant increasing difficulty instead of increasing memory usage.
DAG algorithms increase in memory usage, other algorithms don't yet still get more difficult to mine.
They are 2 very different things. The fact that all coins get more difficult/less profitable over time has
nothing to do with memory usage or increasing memory usage by the algorithm. Nice try.

Edit: Bringing this back on topic, any algo you could mine with a 1GB GPU 5 years ago you can still mine
with a 1GB GPU. The only difference is it's way less profitable and the mining software may be a little outdated.
Only wiith DAG based algos does a GPU become unable to mine it anymore.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 13, 2021, 01:06:04 PM

You are the only one who don't understand what I meant, I don't have to go too deep in details but since you got me wrong I will say more about it, what I really meant was a brand new coin will be more easier to mine with even small graphic cards that has 1GB or 2GB memory on them, for example Ethereum Classic can be mined with a 3GB GPU as we speak
To be honest, the developers decide how much memory will be enough to mine their coin.
If they decide that only video cards with 8 GB or more can mine it, then they will.
Ethereum classic will soon stop being mined on 3 GB video cards.
https://minerstat.com/dag-size-calculator
But you can still find coins for which 2GB of graphics cards are enough.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██