Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:06:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do exchanges steal your coins when locked out?  (Read 203 times)
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 18, 2021, 11:01:17 PM

I'm wondering if exchanges can cash in your coins if you get locked out of their exchange. 

Depending on what type of exchange it is. Decentralized Exchanges (DEXs) cannot do this because they have no access your private keys. Centralised exchanges theoretically can do this, because usually only they have access to private keys. In other words, when you keep your money in a centralized exchange, the money isn't really in your hands. You just have access to them.

If you can locked out from decentralized exchange, i doubt it's really decentralized.

In fact, it would be strange if someone will blocked someone else's funds on a decentralized exchange Smiley

However, I think that what I wrote makes sense if, for example, we ourselves connected our address to DEX and lost our private keys in some strange way Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Darker45
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1857

🙏🏼Padayon...🙏

View Profile
October 19, 2021, 02:19:01 AM

Is there some kind of backup for google authenticator?

~snip~
And of course, as I mentioned above, good 2FA apps will let you export an encrypted database of all your codes which can be used as a back up.

So I guess Google Authenticator must be a bad 2FA app as far as this standard is concerned.

I took a quick search if it is possible for a Google Authenticator user to export an encrypted database of the codes to be used as a back up. It seems it's not at all possible. What is allowed in Google Authenticator is to export 2FA accounts in another device. That will serve as a backup but you need to have another smart phone for that. As opposed to the one you mentioned, a USB stick is enough.

ETFbitcoin mentioned about obtaining the database file right from the device's storage itself, although it requires an app that reads SQLite files. I don't know if this is possible with iOS, though.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
October 19, 2021, 07:13:41 AM

we ourselves connected our address to DEX and lost our private keys in some strange way Wink
If you lose your private keys and lock yourself out of your address, then that has nothing to do with the DEX you are trading on. A true DEX never has control of your coins and therefore cannot seize them.

So I guess Google Authenticator must be a bad 2FA app as far as this standard is concerned.
Pretty much. Google Authenticator works as an 2FA app, but it is missing a lot of the features that better apps have such as this encrypted export and import function. Add that to the fact that it is closed sourced and owned by Google, and that should be more than enough to convince you to switch to a different app at some point.
Swapzone_pr

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2021, 09:48:32 AM

I'm wondering if exchanges can cash in your coins if you get locked out of their exchange. 

Decentralized exchanges (the ones without without a central authority) can't do it, they do not know your private keys. So I would advice you to rather use them.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: