Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:34:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up new miner  (Read 271 times)
VRMdude

Activity: 106
Merit: 31

View Profile
October 26, 2021, 12:36:47 PM
Last edit: October 26, 2021, 02:04:30 PM by VRMdude

I just see that cmos battery is missing ! maybe (should be) the culprit.

https://ibb.co/h213xkB

Don't think that is an issue, the seller of the rig has a picture with a green light on the sata drive and no battery and is running fine. I also found out i had to put in all of the power connectors, done that and found out the real Power SW, done that as well. Same result, no signal! Driving me insane just for a product to "add GPUs." Which i expected to be done in 5 minutes, not 5 weeks.

Thanks all for your help, if worse comes to the worse, there's a PC repair shop just round the corner, I'd probably get in there, and see if they can fix it if this board can't. Worth a go myself, before getting a new item fixed! hahah

So you have a second hand mining board an "eth70 b75 v1.01", i have never owned or touched one but i offer the following:

A link to its spec page translated: https://www-dngiot-com.translate.goog/proinfo/mineboard/4.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=nui#support

A link to the spec pdf which says something about (12) lots of sockets for 24 pins atx and (13) auto on but i cant see any label for 13 on the diagram. https://www.dngiot.com/static/instructions/mineboard/ETH_B75_V1.01.pdf

As i said having little experience with this but some with similiar embedded mobos and i can confirm the IGFX can die which could cause a no post scenario. I'm not saying this is your problem please study the links above and try get the manual to determine power switch operation. However given you have followed seller advice and still not working then would it not be wise at this stage to return it as DOA?

Regarding the battery, i have seen plenty of dead or low cmos battery prevent a post but never a missing battery prevent it but it might happen i suppose and quick one to check. Be weary of pound shop CR2032 they are all fake and last a week but will work for that week lol.

If I had this problem and was not able to return it then I would do the following:

1. Press the power switch using something conductive on the pins of the mobo PWS header VERY CAREFULLY after reading the manual to satisfy myself i know where the power switch header is.

2. Determine if motherboard posts - use a plug in anaylizer already suggested and resolve the fault it shows if possible which could be as simple moving RAM around and even making sure all chips are seated correctly. If you have more than one stick of RAM then use each seperately to determine if one is faulty.

3. Determine if the psu is working correct so with system on carefully use a dc voltmeter to check cpu power connector at the mobo end and 24 pin atx power or simply get a good known psu to test the mobo with and even then check the voltages as a mobo fault could pull down voltages.

Then

If power is present and correct values measured and reaching the mobo and its not a RAM problem preventing post where noting else is connected to the mobo then you have ether a damaged mobo or damaged cpu and remotely possible corrupt cmos or bios chip.

To rule out CPU fault get a known working compatible socket LGA-1155 and test.

If CPU ok and you really want to get into fixing it then a usb chip programmer to read the bios chip and verify its contents are correct. also measure the voltage at the bios chip to rule out that problem.

Finally if not able to return it I would consider reseating the heatsink of the IGFX as in time the thermal paste gets old and crusty its possible that the GPU died already and i think they are none user replaceable being soldered to the board i.e. integrated. Before tampering with it discharge
your own static by grounding and then place a finger on the heatsinks and power on, do they get any heat at all - it gives a clue....

I have revived some intel boards by reseating IGFX heatsinks but the damage is done and they usually die pretty quickly as been overheating for a while and the IGPU on these can be the culprit but im not saying it is.

Happy hunting.

VRMdude

View Profile
October 26, 2021, 01:47:25 PM
Last edit: October 26, 2021, 02:01:54 PM by VRMdude

Hi

I recently bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mining-Rig-Case-Crypto-Bitcoin-Ethereum-Ready-To-Mine-Just-Add-Your-GPUs/255121604872

I set-up the PSU & SSD and spoke to the seller of the item, but he wasn't able to get the rig working from taking his advice. I did take his advice of sticking in 1 of the PCI cables directly into the MOBO(I asked him which slot they go, but he never answered and said any!) & I took his advice as to where the Power SW went which come with the rig, and he just said next to the empty slot! I tried all that with a version of Windows on USB stick ready to install(I've used stick to install Windows on some old PCs), and added 3 GPUs to begin with. I switched power on and the noise was louder than i anticipated(is this normal, it was like X10 the sound of a normal PC, which i can hear through walls in my house.)

I used the integrated HDMI & 1 of the GPUs but was still getting no signal to my TV. I then took out all the GPUs, and tried just the integrated HDMI and still nothing. I then tried just 1 GPU in the number 1 slot on the MOBO, still no signal. I'm presuming the power out and power in slots may have something to do with it, there are loads of those numbered(i just stuck 1 PCI in a power in, as he requested.)

Right now i'm not sure what to do, thanks for listening.

It has integrated hdmi? I see nothing like that mentioned on the spec sheet it says vga and there is shown just a vga port in the photo? Have you tried to see if its outputting a vga video signal?
Startled (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2021, 08:32:24 PM

Hi

I recently bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mining-Rig-Case-Crypto-Bitcoin-Ethereum-Ready-To-Mine-Just-Add-Your-GPUs/255121604872

I set-up the PSU & SSD and spoke to the seller of the item, but he wasn't able to get the rig working from taking his advice. I did take his advice of sticking in 1 of the PCI cables directly into the MOBO(I asked him which slot they go, but he never answered and said any!) & I took his advice as to where the Power SW went which come with the rig, and he just said next to the empty slot! I tried all that with a version of Windows on USB stick ready to install(I've used stick to install Windows on some old PCs), and added 3 GPUs to begin with. I switched power on and the noise was louder than i anticipated(is this normal, it was like X10 the sound of a normal PC, which i can hear through walls in my house.)

I used the integrated HDMI & 1 of the GPUs but was still getting no signal to my TV. I then took out all the GPUs, and tried just the integrated HDMI and still nothing. I then tried just 1 GPU in the number 1 slot on the MOBO, still no signal. I'm presuming the power out and power in slots may have something to do with it, there are loads of those numbered(i just stuck 1 PCI in a power in, as he requested.)

Right now i'm not sure what to do, thanks for listening.

It has integrated hdmi? I see nothing like that mentioned on the spec sheet it says vga and there is shown just a vga port in the photo? Have you tried to see if its outputting a vga video signal?

Thanks for the spec sheet, hopefully i can figure out how to fix it. Yeah, this board 100% has HDMI and no VGA in sight. https://i.imgur.com/TfbbwYC.jpg

I did find some extra Power_in all the way up to 12 on the inside of the board next to the PSU. Right now I have sockets plugged into every single socket, still no post. I tried only Power_in1-12 as well. Same, no post!

I do rermemeber not seeing a BIOS once on an old desktop i had which had to use VGA to see the BIOS even though it had HDMI. My mind is at ease here as there is no VGA, only HDMI.
VRMdude

View Profile
October 28, 2021, 02:33:11 PM
Last edit: October 28, 2021, 02:56:16 PM by VRMdude

I'm not sure the spec sheet i posted is going to help because the item you shared from ebay looks different to the photos you shared of it so they are different versions tho its impossible to see the version No on the ebay images. I took the model No from the images you posted and searched for it but that only confuses matters more lol. Maybe there is more than one version of the same model No but its odd.

Here is the one i posted info for https://www.newegg.com/p/1JW-00M8-00001
its got VGA and RAM in different place among other differences.

Your post anaylizer card might help but i suspect not at this stage without getting powered up... Have you tired forcing the PSU on by shorting pin 16 of the ATX 24 pin connector to ground hich is handily pin 17 or 15 right next door t0 it but its brutal be careful. see diagram linked below and work it out from above rather than below to avoid sparks and better still if never done this before remove the psu from mobo completely and attempt to hard start the psu on its own for practice to avoid sparks, fire, smoke etc which could kill your mobo.

If I bought that ebay item and received the item you shared photos of that doesnt work after following seller advice I would be sending it back for the following reasons:

1. Item not as described - Dead on Arrival
2. Item not as described - Item received is different to item listed.

If you have time and money to waste trying to get it operational then fair enough but now might be a good time to step back and review the matter before you tamper with it or run out of time to return. I think you can buy better HW new for the same or less price.
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
October 29, 2021, 04:26:01 AM

I switched power on and the noise was louder than i anticipated(is this normal, it was like X10 the sound of a normal PC, which i can hear through walls in my house.)

This is the part that worries me. I presume the noise is from the PSU fan suggesting it's getting too hot. It could be
a short on the mobo causing it to draw more power, unless the noise is a problem with the PSU itself.

Given it's a ready built rig it could be anything. It's probably best to return it if you can.

VRMdude

View Profile
October 29, 2021, 05:42:38 PM

I switched power on and the noise was louder than i anticipated(is this normal, it was like X10 the sound of a normal PC, which i can hear through walls in my house.)

This is the part that worries me. I presume the noise is from the PSU fan suggesting it's getting too hot. It could be
a short on the mobo causing it to draw more power, unless the noise is a problem with the PSU itself.

Given it's a ready built rig it could be anything. It's probably best to return it if you can.

I would agree on returning it rather than stress over aging second hand kit with little support available for it.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: