Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:34:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [HELP]help me to get back my money from scammer  (Read 964 times)
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2301

View Profile
October 29, 2021, 02:34:43 PM

I agree that the earlier messages state it was to be shipped but, I am not sure what he can do if he received a pm from both buyer and seller that the coins would be hand delivered and then another set from both that the coins had been transferred in person and to release funds - what else can he do but release funds?
I would not have agreed to escrow a transaction that involved in person delivery. What if for example, the OPs account had not been hacked, and there was simply a dispute as to if the physical coin was actually delivered? There would be no way to resolve the dispute as it would be one persons word against the others.

Notwithstanding the above, if the terms of the trade changed, I think it would be prudent to delay the release of the money. This would allow for the buyer to flag something as being wrong.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 2226

EIN: 82-3893490

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2021, 02:55:33 PM

I agree that the earlier messages state it was to be shipped but, I am not sure what he can do if he received a pm from both buyer and seller that the coins would be hand delivered and then another set from both that the coins had been transferred in person and to release funds - what else can he do but release funds?
I would not have agreed to escrow a transaction that involved in person delivery. What if for example, the OPs account had not been hacked, and there was simply a dispute as to if the physical coin was actually delivered? There would be no way to resolve the dispute as it would be one persons word against the others.

Notwithstanding the above, if the terms of the trade changed, I think it would be prudent to delay the release of the money. This would allow for the buyer to flag something as being wrong.

I dont argue against your points.

I just dont see what alternative minerjones could have had if both buyer and seller appeared to agree to an in person exchange and then both parties appeared to express satisfaction with the deal.

how can you delay funds transfer if there has not been any notification that  the account was compromised and no indication of it either?

Mine BTC @ kano.is
Offering escrow services https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5154480
All Bitcoin 3D printing needs at CryptoCloaks
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2301

View Profile
October 29, 2021, 03:49:14 PM

I just dont see what alternative minerjones could have had if both buyer and seller appeared to agree to an in person exchange and then both parties appeared to express satisfaction with the deal.

how can you delay funds transfer if there has not been any notification that  the account was compromised and no indication of it either?
The point of delaying the release of the money is to wait for someone to potentially say that something is wrong. If he already knows something is wrong, there is a dispute and he should mediate accordingly.
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2021, 04:07:09 PM

The point of delaying the release of the money is to wait for someone to potentially say that something is wrong. If he already knows something is wrong, there is a dispute and he should mediate accordingly.

at the time he was told there was a physical exchange, there had been no indication of any issues. at least that is how it seems to me - that it was not until the next day that an alarm was issued when the account was identified as compromised.

Mine BTC @ kano.is
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16637

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2021, 04:12:50 PM

how can you delay funds transfer if there has not been any notification that  the account was compromised and no indication of it either?
Any last-minute change to the deal should be considered a big red flag, which justifies a delay.

bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
October 29, 2021, 05:07:43 PM

Agreed on this. It's as if the escrow is useless if the transaction is delivered in person.

On the other note, I guess this can be prevented if the involve party used a different messaging app for faster communication or the escrow has other means of way to communicate, obviously to ping on what had happened to the buyer/seller.
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2021, 06:12:33 PM
Last edit: October 29, 2021, 06:54:35 PM by MoparMiningLLC
Merited by krogothmanhattan (10), nutildah (2), morvillz7z (1), Frank AlpenCoin (1)

agreed - there is no point in escrow for an in person exchange unless the escrow is there.

the deal does appear to have been a transaction where the items would be shipped.

I am not sure of the body of the dm's that "came" from both parties that suddenly changed it to an "in person" exchange.

Perhaps it would have been better to have returned the funds to the buyer and allow them to pay the seller direct.

If that had occurred the scammer would have been the only loser here.

in further review of the dm's - several were restored by Theymos - with a disclaimer, if one party still retains the dm, then it can be restored but if all parties on the dm have deleted it then the message is gone. So there is possibility of further messages that cannot be restored if all parties deleted them.

that being said, I can see where I believe eseayan's account was compromised. The sending account should be flagged.

the incoming dm

inspection of the link

close up of the link

also - in the restored dm's were dm's to mj from eseayan stating it would be an in person transaction and then a followup stating the transaction was concluded.

notice to minerjones that this would be an in-person transaction

notice to minerjones to release funds and that coins were in eseayans possession

and a dm to eseayan and minerjones from raj thanking both for a smooth transaction.

then the dm from minerjones stating funds were released

this does not help eseayan recover his funds but it does show it was some elaborate scheme/scam on the part of raj and the "mtowfiq" account. Worth noting is that the mtowfiq account had been actually identified as an account being used to impersonate other forum members and was actually left negative feedback by minerjones about a week before the dm to eseayan was sent.

Mine BTC @ kano.is
eseayan (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2021, 08:48:25 AM

Maybe the hacker hacked my email, and my bitcointalk account password is same as that of my email account(I have changed them different passwords and applied F2A in my email account.).
You should NEVER reuse your passwords for anything again, and I hope you learned a lesson about that.
Use some password manager like KeyPass for storing and generating new strong password for each website.

Maybe the hacker instructed Trojan virus in my computer, because I had found some virus when I used windows defender to scan my computer some months ago.
It could be a false positive, but it's possible that you have some clipboard malware that could collect your passwords and any keys related with crypto.
Switching to Linux may also be a good idea so you won't need to use any antiviruses, and offline computer is much better for dealing with crypto.

Good ideas. I will try to do that now.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16637

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2021, 11:57:10 AM

You should NEVER reuse your passwords for anything again, and I hope you learned a lesson about that.
Use some password manager like KeyPass for storing and generating new strong password for each website.
I had found some virus when I used windows defender to scan my computer some months ago.
Switching to Linux may also be a good idea so you won't need to use any antiviruses, and offline computer is much better for dealing with crypto.
If you start using Keepass: don't forget to make regular backups of your password database.

As for the virus you found: I would never trust a once infected computer again without wiping it and doing a clean installation.

eseayan (OP)

Activity: 65

View Profile
November 03, 2021, 09:05:34 AM

I had found some virus when I used windows defender to scan my computer some months ago.
If you start using Keepass: don't forget to make regular backups of your password database.

As for the virus you found: I would never trust a once infected computer again without wiping it and doing a clean installation.
Yeah, I have bought a new computer to do things about cryptocurrencies. And the old one will be formatted and newly installed.
Saxoshi
Copper Member

Activity: 246

View Profile
November 10, 2021, 04:16:31 AM

Once again, sorry about your lost eseayan.

Based photos/proof, you account it's hacked through link phishing. It's almost same of the date I got some PM here and sharing to other members here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5355723.msg57746225#msg57746225  not with some virus(maybe).

NFT's Sh*t
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: