Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:10:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newb question about torshops mechanics  (Read 117 times)
ZDKZAZA11 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2021, 03:07:15 PM

Hello there,

I was wondering about btc path on torshops. I registred on one of those shops, it gave me a "unique generated" (I guess) btc wallet address.
To buy stuff, I need to send btc to this address.

But what's the mechanic behind ? I mean I understand I can create my own btc wallet, send to other ppl btc wallet using their address, but how do those shops generate address like this and can recover the btc behind ?
Do they have internal mechanics that create a new wallet they own once I registred ?
So they must own tons of wallets (1 per customer) running arround ?

I'm just curious how this works.

Thanks
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 30, 2021, 03:22:02 PM

They'll make a new address for every customer they have yes but the mechanics of how this might be done can be different per place.

The simplest is creating an address and private key pair every time a user registers and storing that address with them in their account (they're all less than 40 bytes so it's not too much to store - two million is only 80 MB).

The second alternative some places kufbt use is by using the bip32 derivation to get a master private key and master public key pair. These can be used similarly with limits set things such as "only let 1000 people have an address that uses this key before getting a new one" and then set a number next to the users' database entry so they know how far down the key must be indexed to get their address.
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
November 30, 2021, 08:12:54 PM

[...]
But what's the mechanic behind ? I mean I understand I can create my own btc wallet, send to other ppl btc wallet using their address, but how do those shops generate address like this and can recover the btc behind ?
Do they have internal mechanics that create a new wallet they own once I registred ?
So they must own tons of wallets (1 per customer) running arround ?
[...]
If you ask about the wallet address in the site, it just the same process most wallet are using especially if its an HD one. Sometimes online shops do use payment processor such as btcpay server. The idea is, in every user registered the site generates a unique wallet address using the payment processor's API/program and it will be saved to their database for easy identification of every user. So yes, it may generate millions of wallet address depends on the number of the website's users.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2955

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2021, 09:04:40 PM

If you talking about behind the shop then they have control of those addresses it was generated from their own wallet it's a single wallet generated by a seed phrase.

You can generate many addresses as you like on one single wallet so if you are the owner of the shop and use a BTCpayserver as mentioned above you only need to put your master public key into BTCpayserver and let it generate unique addresses for every customer on their shop.

So if you are a customer from that shop and you have a unique address generated from that shop you don't have any control of that address what you can only do is to deposit if you want to buy anything from that shop. You can't able to recover anything from that shop only the shop owner can able to recover the BTC on that address.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3625

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2021, 03:25:59 PM
Merited by adaseb (1)

All HD wallets can generate a unique address for each user and it is used to increase customer privacy and ensure that each transaction is unique and can then be individually verified, but it is better to use the Lightning Network to avoid fees.
The way the point of sale works will determine how the system works, but some give all users the same address.
Note that some cryptocurrencies such as Ripple can use one address and add a custom tag for each transaction.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██