Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:50:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PCIe extension cables  (Read 175 times)
adiemus123 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 13, 2021, 12:35:23 PM

Anyone have any experience with these ?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-alchemy-6-2-pin-pcie-extension-cable-45cm-sleeved-white-cm-36c-bx.html
It's not the 2.0 version also.
Question is, does anyone know their compatibility with other brand PSU's or are they just generic extensions applicable to any and all ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayDDee

Activity: 1386
Merit: 220

View Profile
November 13, 2021, 01:37:27 PM

They're extension cables, they connect to an existing 8 pin cable not directly to the PSU,
so they are generic. Replacement cables that connect directly to the PSU are different for
every PSU.

adiemus123 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2021, 02:35:11 PM

Thank you for the answer brother.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 13, 2021, 02:35:37 PM

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-alchemy-6-2-pin-pcie-extension-cable-45cm-sleeved-white-cm-36c-bx.html
Question is, does anyone know their compatibility with other brand PSU's or are they just generic extensions applicable to any and all ?
I use such extension cords, I only bought them for $ 3, and now they are no more expensive Smiley
If on your cable from the power supply the 8-pin connectors are very close to each other, then this is a good solution in order not to install video cards very close.
But according to this scheme, I connect no more than two video cards with a consumption of no more than 130 watts.

https://aliexpress.ru/item/32908139311.html

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
adiemus123 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2021, 02:56:58 PM

I dont have enough PSU cables to connect all my cards and risers, so 2 3080's are forced to be really close to each other because i split 1 PCIe to power 2 splitters, so its like 3.5 - 4cm apart.
Thought those cables can make a difference and wanted to make sure it wont fry my PSU's and GPU's.
FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2021, 03:09:47 PM

The extension cable cannot damage your power supply and video card if the cables are not mixed up there. This can be checked with a multimeter.
Your contacts must be good, otherwise there may be burnout in that place due to poor contact.
For each wire from the power supply, I would not add an overload of more than 200 watts (this is about power supplies with certified 18AWG cables). I try not to exceed 150 watts.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
November 13, 2021, 03:12:41 PM

They can extend the length but you need to be careful and not exceed wattage per connector and cable.  Also the longer the connection the less watts its safe to send down a cable.  Wire size vs wattage is a hard science.  Pulling too much is a good way to damage cables, gear, or invite 🔥.    I would suggest short extension vs long … 4 inch (10 CM) extensions are available.  

But every connection is one more place prone to fail so fewer are better.  
adiemus123 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2021, 03:32:04 PM

1 PCIe cable straight from PSU can handle around 280 i think, so using 1 extender on the cable to power 2 risers which are 75 each is okay i think, that's not my concern.
I've read different pin outs in PCIe cables will most definitely burn gear, so was wondering if that's also the case with extenders, that's all.
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
November 13, 2021, 10:55:01 PM

No the pcie plug from psu will be standard as all gpus and such work on this standard.  So an extension on a pcie cable is just that…standard pcie pinout.  So should be fine.  And 75w + 75w is no issue for a pcie cable to handle so you should be good to go.

FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2021, 12:38:12 PM

They can extend the length but you need to be careful and not exceed wattage per connector and cable.  Also the longer the connection the less watts its safe to send down a cable.  Wire size vs wattage is a hard science.  Pulling too much is a good way to damage cables, gear, or invite 🔥.    I would suggest short extension vs long … 4 inch (10 CM) extensions are available.  

PCIe extension cables are mostly 15-20 centimeters long.
Of course, it is better to do without adapters and extension cords, because these are additional places for control and most burnouts occur in these places. I did not have any fires, but the contacts burned out, and I noticed this only after disassembling the mining farm in search of faults.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
adiemus123 (OP)

View Profile
November 14, 2021, 01:04:00 PM

Of course, it is better to do without adapters and extension cords, because these are additional places for control and most burnouts occur in these places. I did not have any fires, but the contacts burned out, and I noticed this only after disassembling the mining farm in search of faults.

Yeah, funny thing also, ive noticed the 8 pin connector going into the PSU was all blackened and when i touched it, it just crumbled like a dry cookie, then ive remembered i had one 3060ti riser fed by a SATA cable a while ago. Still thanking to whoever was watching over it all, because ive probably avoided burning down the whole farm and even more than that..
Probably for the best we started talking wattage and gauge, newbies who come across this might find something useful, for example, NEVER USE SATA to power GPUS or even risers, cause its not able to carry through the needed amount of watt and if overclock kicks in a reset and your GPU will demand more because its not being undervolted anymore, outcome would be really sad.
FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2021, 02:26:12 PM

Yeah, funny thing also, ive noticed the 8 pin connector going into the PSU was all blackened and when i touched it, it just crumbled like a dry cookie, then ive remembered i had one 3060ti riser fed by a SATA cable a while ago. Still thanking to whoever was watching over it all, because ive probably avoided burning down the whole farm and even more than that..
Probably for the best we started talking wattage and gauge, newbies who come across this might find something useful, for example, NEVER USE SATA to power GPUS or even risers, cause its not able to carry through the needed amount of watt and if overclock kicks in a reset and your GPU will demand more because its not being undervolted anymore, outcome would be really sad.
I use SATA raisers for video cards like 5600 xт, 1060, 470 and the like. But I do this only on high-quality power supplies and connect the plug directly to the raiser.
You are right that you do not need to use a SATA raiser for video cards such as RTX 3080.
For powerful video cards, as a rule, server power supplies with the required number of connectors are used.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
fmz89
Legendary

Activity: 1766
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 25, 2021, 05:47:48 PM

is applicable to all psu because only extending from pcie power socket male output, you cant use that directly to you psu port

only extending from male output pcie cable, if you want use for adding pcie cable directly from psu port check compatible first,

custom pcie cable service is doable if you cant find part for similiar cable

▄█▀                       ▀█▄
 ██           ▄▄ ▄▄           ██
███       ▄ ▄███ ███▄ ▄       ███
████▄   ███ ████ ████ ███   ▄████
 ██████████ ███▀ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄██████
  ▀▀███████  ▀▄█████████ ████▀▀
       ███▀▄ ██████▀▀▀ ▄▄
       █▀▄██ ████▄▄█▀▄████
        ████ ▀█████▄▀██▀
        ████ █▄▀█████▄
        ████  ▀▀ █████▀
         ▀▀█      ▀█▀
.REXX.|||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
████ ▄▀██████████  █████
██████▄▀▄▀██████  ████████
▐████████▄▀▄▀██  ██████████▌
▐██████████▄▀▄ ████████████▌
▐██████████  ▄▀▄▀██████████▌
████████  ████▄▀▄▀████████
█████  ████████▄▀ ██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|.BUY REXX.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
November 27, 2021, 04:34:21 AM

That seems like a decent brand so I would trust it, however if you are  going to be ordering from alibaba for like $3 I would be cautious at the fact that those cheap extension cables usually use a higher (thinner) guage and many times they are not crimped properly. I had this issue in the past.

Didnt want to spend lots of money from quality brands so tried these cheap ones and the issue was that they were very thin AND i noticed they were crimped poorly and bad connection at the pins.

I just ordered some wires, pins and a crimp tool and make my own from now on. Go on youtube, there are videos on how to do this.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██