Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 08:07:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchange or hardware wallet ?  (Read 738 times)
Chato1977

Activity: 1148
Merit: 58

View Profile
December 08, 2021, 07:47:13 AM

I am holding my big chunks of coins in hardware wallet but i also hold some of my funds inside exchange because i love to watch the market and see what can be profitable in short term.
so yes i will be finding some good moving project and my funds inside exchange will be for buying and selling purpose .
yurekaa

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2021, 01:14:51 PM

as i know about this topic are:
EXCHANGER:
1. exchanger can be close their service, so you need to move your cryptocurrencies to another wallet
2 .maybe it will not safe like the hardware wallet, exchanger can be hacked by the hacker, and access all the control to send or withdraw the cryptocurrencies
3. but the advantage of the exchanger are, its flexible, you never save your hardware things, you just need to remember your account and it will be great if you use it portable

HARDWARE WALLET:
1. hardware wallet are the most secure wallet, you can store it and dont be afraid with hacker, they can't have access to your hardware wallet
2. but the disadvantages are, you need to save the hardware wallet in the safe place, if you lost your hardware wallet, it means you lost your coin and your wallet

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
swapSwap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
Questat

Activity: 2842
Merit: 604

View Profile
December 08, 2021, 01:52:20 PM

I am holding my big chunks of coins in hardware wallet but i also hold some of my funds inside exchange because i love to watch the market and see what can be profitable in short term.
so yes i will be finding some good moving project and my funds inside exchange will be for buying and selling purpose .
It was not a big deal which wallet you are able to use unless you know how to take care of it. That exchanges wallet is solely for trading purposes and most of us here are for that reason. But if we just plan for a long-term investment, a hardware wallet is the best choice. However, that was expensive that mostly it holds some holders not to buy it but rather to consider custodial and exchanges wallet available online.

sarmrakib

Activity: 1292
Merit: 101

Vave.com

View Profile
December 08, 2021, 02:33:58 PM

Hardware wallet is the right choice to protect the assets you have, you don't need to use the internet to access a hardware wallet. for asset security, this wallet is considered more secure because without an internet network it makes it more difficult to hack. if you use the exchange market for security it is very risky even if you use 2FA Google authenticator because it is still using the internet network
Yes ,we all know that hardware wallet is more secured than any other wallet if it is even the exchange wallet .We have seen many times that many exchange being hacked on the past ,hacker always use the smart way to hack .So it is so necessary to look into the security system always .I always use hardware wallet to store my asset and also hold a few into exchange wallet for trading .I use all the security system and i feel secured on this way i actually never faced any hacking .I just wanna suggest if you want to hold your asset for long term you may use hardware wallet to hold it .

ancafe

Activity: 1638
Merit: 694

View Profile
December 08, 2021, 03:38:06 PM

Exchange is good if u want trading .
You can still own a hard wallet if you do trading, if you don't trust the exchange to hold your bitcoin for a period of time, you can just send it to your hard wallet and send back to exchange if you need to trade again. It's quite a hassle but if you are looking for security that's the best thing to do as we never know when an exchange will scam us or will get hack and our funds will be lost forever.

well, it is indeed very useful when we will hold coins for a certain time. Personally, I like to use a hardwallet to hold my assets over the long term. Unfortunately, to date, I haven't purchased one from the hardwallet.
In terms of trading, I think it might be easier to keep it on an exchange, because considering the fee issue, it also needs to be considered. however, depending on the goal, if in the long term, then hardwallet is the best, while for trading, it is better to keep it on the exchange until we really want to hold it in the long term.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Olayinka2225

Activity: 72
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 10, 2021, 05:04:25 AM

Hardware wallet is an extra level of crypto security, it is unhackable as the user control it. It goes with you wherever you're going. Unlike exchange wallet that are prone to hackers. Some even go on maintenance when you need them most.
airdata

Merit: 501

View Profile
December 10, 2021, 09:52:39 AM

Have many difference between Hardware wallet and Crypto exchange, Only you can control your Fund Through Hardware wallet and nobody can access your wallet but Exchange means you share your everything with another person, your fund is not secure in exchange becouse second person can control your Fund.                 

......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
goinmerry
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083

View Profile
December 10, 2021, 10:09:24 AM

Have many difference between Hardware wallet and Crypto exchange, Only you can control your Fund Through Hardware wallet and nobody can access your wallet but Exchange means you share your everything with another person, your fund is not secure in exchange becouse second person can control your Fund. 

Sharing everything is not an appropriate term here. Once you use an exchange service, it's just common that you need to settle things there by transferring your funds "in order" to use what you are trying to do.

It's also irrelevant to say that it's not 100% safe when we use an exchange. It's subjective but it's not that when you use an exchange, it's already not safe. To lessen the risk, choose reputable platforms instead of using small exchanges.
airdata

Merit: 501

View Profile
December 10, 2021, 11:41:07 AM

It's also irrelevant to say that it's not 100% safe when we use an exchange. It's subjective but it's not that when you use an exchange, it's already not safe. To lessen the risk, choose reputable platforms instead of using small exchanges.
I think that my opinion isn’t totally incorrect, becouse i see some small crypto exchange did scam with his user. And for this reason we always try to use big and secure exchange. But we see that on the past Kucoin has Hacked, some days ago hacker attack Bitmart exchange so exchange means have risk. We can use exchange only for Trading purpose not as a holding wallet for our Fund.                   

......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
arditiyan

Activity: 616
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2021, 03:08:41 PM

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two methods to store your coins?
exchange and hardware have significant differences.  for exchange has the advantage of being able to see prices spontaneously and at any time but has the disadvantage of being vulnerable to hacking.  however, hardware wallets have high security advantages that can be controlled by the kpin owner.  So both of these methods have their respective advantages

Olayinka2225

Activity: 72
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 11, 2021, 06:26:18 AM

Hardware wallet, you own your it, it's safety is with you and you controls your assets yourself. Unlike exchange wallet that can get compromised anytime or even get hacked or go on maintenance the critical time you needed to deposit or withdraw.
MaDeidre

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2021, 07:37:41 AM

Many people will advise you to put your money on the exchange. But my suggestion is to put it in a hard wallet. Both have their own advantages. I prefer to put it in a hard wallet. I don't operate currency frequently, and I don't worry about exchanges being hacked.
suryogandul

Activity: 550
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2021, 07:56:59 AM

I prefer hardware wallets. because if you look at the risk of crypto assets, there is a very large risk of hacking and many cases of hacking are lost on exchanges or online wallets. I'm currently using a hardware wallet and it's safe until now for storage

AicecreaME

Activity: 2352
Merit: 454

View Profile
December 14, 2021, 01:25:20 PM

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two methods to store your coins?

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. It would just really be on your personal preference to choose which one will suit what you want and need.

Exchange Advantages:

1. Convenience - It is convenient to use in a sense that you don't have to undergo many and long processes before transacting. This is easy to install as well and most of the time free download in PlayStore or AppStore. After you download, you'll just follow a few steps to be able to make and use your account. You can access it anytime, anywhere as long as you have your gadget in you, you  can open your account.

2. Easy to learn how to use - Because of its simple interface, it is easy to familiarize and to use regardless of age bracket. Its features are mostly comprehended quickly as well as the runaround inside the exchanger platform.

Exchanger Disadvantages:

1. KYC is required - To some this is a disadvantage that's why I put it here. In most exchanges, KYC is mandatory most especially if it is a centralized one because they just follow local government protocol as well as to detect the accounts of those people who are doing illegal activities such as laundering money using their platform. This possess a risk because once you give your consent in providing your personal information to them, they could use or sell it without you knowing, despite having the agreement that they will keep your personal data private. Unfortunately, this really happens. In addition, identity theft is also possible once their security has been breached which could lead to a bigger problem in the future if ever it happens.

2. Hacking incident is frequent - I think most of us are already aware of this. Several incidents have been reported in the past up until the present regarding this issue. Exchangers, most especially the centralized ones are prone to hacking because they have weaker security protocols compared to others which is the reason why it is mostly infiltrated by hackers. Recently, coinbase has been compromised which just caused thousands of users to lose money they have their account. Despite the OTP feature and other security measures of exchangers, the hackers still manage to bypass the security with just a few clicks and viola! they were able to stole huge sum of money that cannot be returned back to the account holders.

Hardwallet Advantages:

1. Security - No doubt, hardwallet is really the best when it comes to security. If you want your assets to be safe, it is recommended to have a hardwallet that could gatekeep your assets while you are doing your own thing. Because hardwallets have a built-in and specialized chips in them, it is harder for a hacker to infiltrate your account. Once they try, they won't be able to succeed unless you give your password and seed phrase to them wide open.  

2. More coins are available and many accounts can be stored - In hardwallets, there are more options in coins. You are not limited to the usual coins but can access many coins in which you can invest and trade in. In addition, you could add more accounts depending on your hardwallet model. In some hardwallets, it has 20 maximum accounts, some 50 accounts, and so on. Of course, this varies in accordance to the price. Indeed, you get what you pay for.

Hardwallet Disadvantage:

1. Cost - Hardwallets are expensive. Most of it costs over hundred or even thousand dollars depending on the brand, model, and features. But this should not be viewed as a worthless expense because we are talking about security here. If you can afford to invest in crypto, you should also invest in security. Because once your account has been hacked, all of your assets will be compromised, be gone, and all put into waste in no time.

I hope I was able to answer your question and help you decide which one is better by laying down all the information about the two.
Pejoh Asu

Activity: 1484
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 14, 2021, 03:01:53 PM

80% of my crypto assets I store in a hardware wallet, I store assets in a hardware wallet of course for security reasons and I make cryptocurrencies a long-term investment that can change my life later, I hope there will be a significant price spike so I can sell some for venture capital .

▄▄███▄    ▄███▄▄
     ▄▀▀    █    █    ▀▀▄
    ██    ▄▄▀    ▀▄▄    ██
    ▀▄▄▄█▀▀        ▀▀█▄▄▄▀
  ▄▄█▀█▄              ▄█▀█▄▄
▄█▀     ▀▀█▄     ▄▄█▀▀     ▀█▄
██          ▀█▄▄█▀          ██
▀█▄     ▄▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀▀▄▄▄     ▄█▀
  ▀█▄▄▄▀▀            ▀▀▄▄▄█▀
   █▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▀▀█
   ██  ▀▀▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▀  ██
    ▀▄     █      █     ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▀      ▀▄▄▄▀▀
cogwise
  ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
Hyper-charge your trading with intelligent insights   ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
█████  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▀███████
█████  █████  ██▄▀█████
█████  █▀▀██▄▄▄▄  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████

█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

Obito

Activity: 1274
Merit: 293

View Profile
December 14, 2021, 04:08:07 PM

Hardware wallet all the way, you know how many exchanges in the recent years have been hacked? I don't think that you would take a chance if you know how many. But you have to also be careful though as hardware wallet can be tampered with and there's also the possibility of forgetting the password after a long time of not using it.
dificanovi

Activity: 812
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 14, 2021, 05:07:21 PM

tl;dr
  • exchange gets hacked, you're screwed
  • if you use a hardware wallet and not store your wallet's seed phrase digitally, your funds getting hacked is near impossible unless you make a big mistake

yes hardware wallets are a great choice for storing cryptocurrencies. Hackers will definitely find it difficult to hack a hardware wallet because the wallet can only be accessed by the owner, the hardware wallet will remain safe as long as the wallet owner is not careless. Hardware wallets have a slight drawback, namely that the owner of the wallet has to carry it where he wants to go because if he doesn't take the hardware wallet with him then he will find it difficult to make transactions.

milewilda
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1131

View Profile
December 14, 2021, 07:12:01 PM

Exchange is good if u want trading . and hardware is secure than any exchange because it is in your control   and no one can get access to your hardware wallet.
Whenever you done some deposit or withdraw any thing . The exchange can control it .
When you do make out some active trades then it would be sensible if you would store up your coins on an exchange for fast executions of trades but if you
are minding about your coins security then hardware wallet would be the best choice.Always mind off that as long you dont possess the keys of a certain wallet which is mostly on custodial wallets like exchange then its not totally 100% your coin or simply it doesnt really belong to you.
You know the risk behind thats why when making out decisions then this is something would really vary.

Shasha80

Activity: 1876
Merit: 318

View Profile
December 14, 2021, 08:50:44 PM

Exchange is good if u want trading . and hardware is secure than any exchange because it is in your control   and no one can get access to your hardware wallet.
Whenever you done some deposit or withdraw any thing . The exchange can control it .
When you do make out some active trades then it would be sensible if you would store up your coins on an exchange for fast executions of trades but if you
are minding about your coins security then hardware wallet would be the best choice.Always mind off that as long you dont possess the keys of a certain wallet which is mostly on custodial wallets like exchange then its not totally 100% your coin or simply it doesnt really belong to you.
You know the risk behind thats why when making out decisions then this is something would really vary.

If we look at the history where some of the major exchanges have been hacked, this should raise our awareness not to keep all our coins
on exchanges. It is better to store coins on exchanges only for trading, most of the coins we have can be stored in a hardware wallet which is
indeed the safest place in my opinion for now. Even if we trade on exchanges and manage to make a profit, I recommend that the profit
be immediately transferred to our hardware wallet. The conclusion is that it is not safe to store too many coins on exchanges, even though
the exchanges we use have sophisticated security systems, still there is no guarantee 100% safe. Because after all exchanges will always be
a target for hackers, because as we know the circulation of coins on exchanges is very large.

BIGGEST AND MOST
TRUSTED FULLY LICENSED
CRYPTO CASINO
▄▄▄▄█▄█▄▄▄▄
▄█████████████▄
███▀▀███████▀▀███
█▀      ▀█▀      ▀█
███████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████
▀▀███▀▀
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █
█   █   ▄  ███    ███   █
█▀▄▀█ ▄███▄ █  ███ █▀▄▀█
█▀ ▀██▀█▀█▀██████  ██▀ ▀█
█   ▄▀▄▀▄███  ██  █   █
█    █▄█  ██  ██ █    █
█    ██  ██  ███    █
█    █  ██  ██    █
▀▄   ▀▄██ ▄▀   ▄▀
▀▄   ▀█▀   ▄▀
▀▄     ▄▀
▀▀▄▀▀
▀▄ ▄▀▄ ▄▀
█▄ ▀█▄▄▀▄▄█▀ ▄█
▀█▀███▀███▀█▀
▄█████████████▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
▀█████████████▀
▀██████████████▀
▀█████████████▀
▀█████████▀
▀▀▀█▀▀▀
SPANISH CLUBS
OFFICIAL ASIAN
BETTING PARTNER
ACCEPT
MULTIPLE
CURRENCIES
JOIN US
boyptc

Activity: 3010
Merit: 680

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 14, 2021, 10:48:39 PM

Many people will advise you to put your money on the exchange. But my suggestion is to put it in a hard wallet. Both have their own advantages. I prefer to put it in a hard wallet. I don't operate currency frequently, and I don't worry about exchanges being hacked.
Those people that are advising to put your money into exchanges are giving you a bad suggestion.

As you hold, the advantage is in the hardware wallet and if you don't have any intention to transfer it from time to time, hardware wallet is the best keep.

While in exchange, if you're going to use it to keep your assets, it's called an exchange and it has a different purpose and your funds are in risk if you keep it there.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███