Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:29:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Point for Bitcoin! Point for Linux! And point for Ubuntu!!  (Read 13636 times)
ThiagoCMC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 07:49:16 PM

Guys,

Observe how ALL the ecosystem, the whole Bitcoin Economy is very close to you...

Installation of the Bitcoin Client binary or via source code, compiling it independently with little command lines. No configuration files needed.

Source: http://www.bitcoin.org/ -> Downloads - Ubuntu PPA

Creating your Bitcoin Wallet on Ubuntu Linux versions 11.10, 11.04 and earlier - 32 and 64 bits supported

1- Install Ubuntu Desktop 11.10 in your computer (Ubuntu.com);

2- Open the Terminal app and type the following commands:

Code:
sudo aptitude install python-software-properties # installs the following command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin # Add the Bitcoin Ubuntu PPA repository in your Ubuntu

sudo aptitude update # Update the package list (files under /etc/apt/)

sudo aptitude install bitcoin-qt # For desktops or:
sudo aptitude install bitcoind # For network servers like exchanges, pools, gambling, etc...

NOTE.: If the command "aptitude" isn't found, replace it with "apt-get". Or, install the "aptitude" (recommended) with: "sudo apt-get install aptitude".

Ready! Look for Bitcoin under "Applications menu" in Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop 2D, or type "bitcoin" in the search field of Ubuntu 11.10 Dashboard (Dash home).

3 - Advanced: obtaining and compiling the source code of Bitcoin:

Downloading the Bitcoin source code:

Code:
sudo sed -i -e "s/# deb/deb/g" /etc/apt/sources.list # Activate the source code repositories of the whole Ubuntu (also, check the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bitcoin-bitcoin-*.list)

sudo aptitude update

sudo apt-get build-dep bitcoin # Download the build dependencies to compile Bitcoin under Ubuntu.

apt-get source bitcoin # Download the Bitcoin source code prepared to be compiled and packaged under Ubuntu.

Compiling your Bitcoin:

Code:
cd bitcoin-0.5.0
dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -rfakeroot
ls -l ../

The Bitcoin packages of YOUR own Bitcoin binary are the files with ".deb" extention, which you can see with the command "ls -l ../" above.

Now you just need some good C / C++ / Qt developer, plus your ideas, to make your own custom Bitcoin Client!!

Best!
Thiago

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 09:07:28 PM

That is still not easy enough to bring in new people who aren't computer savvy.  We are in the age of single click install and launch on iOS/android devices.  My mother can use Excel, e-mail for work, use bluetooth on her phone, but there is no way in hell she could install and use the Bitcoin client easily.  Especially not on Ubuntu as you have described.
ThiagoCMC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 09:25:51 PM

Hi!

I'll make a new version of this guide, using only GUI.

Best!
Thiago
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 09:31:07 PM

Hi!

Best!
Thiago

We need a client that DOESN'T NEED A GUIDE.  The existence of a guide indicates the lack of a user-friendly client.

(BFL)^2 < 0
ThiagoCMC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 09:46:59 PM

Hi!

Best!
Thiago

We need a client that DOESN'T NEED A GUIDE.  The existence of a guide indicates the lack of a user-friendly client.

I'm sure that this will happen with the release of Ubuntu 12.04.

And I say more, the "Ubuntu Software Center" will have some kind of "Pay with Bitcoins" button or, when you click at the "Buy" button, a window will appear asking you which currency you want to pay (BTC / LTC / USD / BRL / etc)...

Cheers,
Thiago
damnek

Activity: 614

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 10:22:16 PM

Hi!

Best!
Thiago

And I say more, the "Ubuntu Software Center" will have some kind of "Pay with Bitcoins" button or, when you click at the "Buy" button, a window will appear asking you which currency you want to pay (BTC / LTC / USD / BRL / etc)...

Cheers,
Thiago

How certain is this?
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 10:37:47 PM

that would be awesomatic... i tend to doubt it though because i have the impression that ubuntu/canonical want to orient themselves towards the establishment...

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 11:21:21 PM

I dont see the need. I wouldnt mind if it made it in to the ubuntu repo, but lets face it, any linux newbie having even easier access to install the client isnt going to solve any of the problems bitcoin faces. He still wont have an easy way acquire bitcoins or spend them. He is not even going to find it in the repo's unless he searches for it.
 The idea that the ubuntu software center would use bitcoins for commercial apps, well, I think thats a bit optimistic Smiley.

ineededausername

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 12:04:29 AM

Hi!

Best!
Thiago

Cheers,
Thiago

How are you so sure?

(BFL)^2 < 0
BkkCoins

Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2011, 04:21:21 AM

bitcoin-qt installed and works fine (even when my older 0.4.0 version was present). However, after deleting the older version and bitcoind and then trying to also install the new bitcoind,

sudo apt-get install bitcoind

gives me:

Unpacking bitcoind (from .../bitcoind_0.5.0-natty0_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/bitcoind_0.5.0-natty0_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/bitcoind', which is also in package bitcoin 0.3.24-ppa2~natty
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/bitcoind_0.5.0-natty0_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

But /usr/bin/bitcoind isn't there so I'm guessing that some other old version file is preventing the newer one from unpacking. Any ideas how to fix this up?

EDIT - never mind. I see that an old package (bitcoin 0.3.24-ppa2~natty) was still present and once I un-installed that package the new one did install ok.

ThiagoCMC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 05:04:20 AM

Hi!

Best!
Thiago

Cheers,
Thiago

How certain is this?

Because it is open source?!  :-P

We can do it.

Just need to add multi-currencies support to it... EUR / USD / BTC / LTC / NMC

And a awesome GUI to register a domain with your namecoins!

Simple and clean.
BlackPrapor

Activity: 626
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 01:51:47 PM

Meanwhile, I was sitting on ubuntu 12.04, and had no idea what button to press, which command to write in terminal, and where the hell I could get a guide. I found this thread by accident, somewhere on google, as even bitcointalk search engine failed to show this page, when typed in "bitcoin wallet installation in ubuntu". I just installed ubuntu, and now I understand why it doesn't get adapted widely everywhere. It looks pretty, but you can't do anything with it, unless you happen to know a website, where could be a list of code that you need to execute, just to get something to work. I'm using ubuntu only for security reasons, otherwise I'd avoid it at all costs. Anyway, I'd like to thank the person who wrote this guide, and I'm sending some coins too =). It was really helpful  Cheesy

There is no place like 127.0.0.1
In blockchain we trust
gbl08ma

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 02:12:28 PM

If Bitcoin was in the main repos, it would have been much easier to install the client (just go to the Software Center and search). However, I don't think this is the case (haven't checked in a while though).

mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:38:16 PM

That is still not easy enough to bring in new people who aren't computer savvy.  We are in the age of single click install and launch on iOS/android devices.  My mother can use Excel, e-mail for work, use bluetooth on her phone, but there is no way in hell she could install and use the Bitcoin client easily.  Especially not on Ubuntu as you have described.

You are exactly right. "One click installations" are why programmers are critical right now. The changeover to FOSS systems is essential in these days. Also, "one click" P2P software is needed urgently.

Have you ever seen this?

https://github.com/tarcieri/cryptosphere
P4man

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:49:48 PM

Meanwhile, I was sitting on ubuntu 12.04, and had no idea what button to press, which command to write in terminal, and where the hell I could get a guide. I found this thread by accident, somewhere on google, as even bitcointalk search engine failed to show this page, when typed in "bitcoin wallet installation in ubuntu". I just installed ubuntu, and now I understand why it doesn't get adapted widely everywhere. It looks pretty, but you can't do anything with it, unless you happen to know a website, where could be a list of code that you need to execute, just to get something to work. I'm using ubuntu only for security reasons, otherwise I'd avoid it at all costs. Anyway, I'd like to thank the person who wrote this guide, and I'm sending some coins too =). It was really helpful  Cheesy

I agree that a single click .deb for ubuntu would be highly desirable. The fact that there isnt one, isnt ubuntu's fault, its just that no one has made a bitcoin package for ubuntu.

That said, it cant have been that hard to find out how to install from PPA.
If you go to bitcoin.org official website, in the download section click "ubuntu" you go straight to Matt's PPA page. If you dont know how to use a PPA (which is certainly understandable for a new ubuntu user) there is the "read about installing" right in front of you which guides you through the steps.

Is it a bit intimidating? Yeah, at least for someone new to linux, Im sure it is. But its not exactly mission impossible either.

Anyway, Id still like to see a .deb.

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 05:18:13 PM

Hi!

Best!
Thiago

Most people who would need a guide are using Windows, and the Windows client doesn't need a guide it's so easy to install!
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:27:15 PM

I appreciate the attempt, but you are preaching to the choir. We need to make it simple for the windows, iphone, and android crowd.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:28:19 PM

What we need is for the PPA to be installable via update manager like other programs. I don't understand why it's not a featured program in Ubuntu.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:36:27 PM

What we need is for the PPA to be installable via update manager like other programs. I don't understand why it's not a featured program in Ubuntu.
What would it take to get it included? Would blockchain bloat pose a problem? Can't run it from a typical USB nowadays.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
P4man

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:59:46 PM

What would it take to get it included? Would blockchain bloat pose a problem? Can't run it from a typical USB nowadays.

Anyone with the right skills can create a .deb package that would make installing bitcoin a single (well, double) click affair via ubuntu software center. I dont really understand why that isnt done yet, I guess someone just has to do it. Thiago, dont you know how to do this?

But to get it in to the repositories, so that is doesnt need a download (and would be updated via update-manager with 3rd party repo)  is something else entirely, Im not sure what the process is to get software in there, but for sure it would need some active maintainers at the very least.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: