Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:51:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Driver issues with MSI RX 470  (Read 101 times)
CryptoKiraly (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 23, 2022, 03:34:04 AM
Merited by nc50lc (1)

Had a dreaded W10 update hit my personal PC overnight and now I can't get a driver to work on my MSI 470.

I am not mining with this but I previously was on another machine and so it does have the standard strap method BIOS mod on it.  In the past, I was able to get it to work after an update by using DDU but having no luck this time.  This is what I have tried with about 5-6 different Radeon drivers, including most recent for 470's (22.2.2 & 21.10.2) and even some really old ones like 19.9.2 & 17.12.1

- Reboot to safe mode
- Run DDU 18.0.4.9 & reboot
- Install Radeon Driver package

First few times I just rebooted right away but wasn't working so...

- Tried running Pixel Patcher 1.4.12 directly after driver install (before rebooting)
- Found values and success patched & signed driver

Rebooted afterwards but still no luck (getting the super wide & large graphics on screen) and the dreaded Code-43 showing up in Dev Mgr.

So, was wondering if anyone running 470's (either mining or not) on W10 could share what drivers they are currently using. Really baffled by this as I've done it dozen of times successfully both on this personal PC & many mining rigs (before moving those to SMOS).

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptoATM

Activity: 368
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 23, 2022, 03:39:23 AM

Just get rid of the dreaded windows 10 update, you can easily uninstall the last windows update under settings/update or switch OS for hiveOS because that's the perfect place to run AMD graphic cards for mining.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1038

View Profile
February 23, 2022, 01:02:31 PM

Had a dreaded W10 update hit my personal PC overnight and now I can't get a driver to work on my MSI 470.

For my Rx 470 I used Atikmdag patcher 1.4.7. Maybe new versions have support for more graphics cards, but this was the last version that worked stably before I started using Hive OS.

If this does not help, then you can flash the original BIOS and mine with a lower hashrate, but you will not have problems after the updates.

If you have a mining farm, then use Hive OS.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
February 23, 2022, 01:50:47 PM

For my Rx 470 I used Atikmdag patcher 1.4.7. Maybe new versions have support for more graphics cards, but this was the last version that worked stably before I started using Hive OS.

If this does not help, then you can flash the original BIOS and mine with a lower hashrate, but you will not have problems after the updates.

If you have a mining farm, then use Hive OS.

No has nothing to with more support. Newer versions of Atikmdag patcher is only for supporting newer driver versions. But the idea flashing the original bios is a good point to start.
waywoos2

Activity: 62
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 23, 2022, 06:09:46 PM

Where can I find a trusted site for newest version?
JangoUnchained

Activity: 185
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 23, 2022, 07:34:21 PM

Where can I find a trusted site for newest version?
Start using HiveOS and kiss your problem bye bye.

CryptoKiraly (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 23, 2022, 07:53:56 PM

Thanks for the tips and feedback. to clarify, I am NOT mining on this GPU, just using it for graphics on my personal PC. All of my mining rigs have been on SMOS for many months for just this reason of continual problems with Windows/Radeon drivers.

I think the best option at this point would be to flash the 470 back to original timings, but I have long lost my records of those timings that i took a snapshot of before flashing.

What would be the recommended method to flash back to factory timings?  It's been about 5 years since I strapped these 470's and I'm sure things have changed a lot since then.

Thanks again!
maXonja

Activity: 75
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2022, 11:39:33 PM

Download BIOS from TechPowerUp database and flash it
Just be carefull when downloading the BIOS, first check eith GPU-Z which memory your graphics card has (samsung/hynix/elpida/micron)
FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2022, 12:01:25 PM

Thanks for the tips and feedback. to clarify, I am NOT mining on this GPU, just using it for graphics on my personal PC. All of my mining rigs have been on SMOS for many months for just this reason of continual problems with Windows/Radeon drivers.

I think the best option at this point would be to flash the 470 back to original timings, but I have long lost my records of those timings that i took a snapshot of before flashing.

What would be the recommended method to flash back to factory timings?  It's been about 5 years since I strapped these 470's and I'm sure things have changed a lot since then.

Thanks again!
The problem is not in the timings, but in the fact that you changed the settings of the original BIOS.
If you have MSI RX-470-ARMOR-4G-OC
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/Radeon-RX-470-ARMOR-4G-OC
then I can give you my original bios. The video card has Samsung memory.But it is better to always keep the original bios.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
batsonxl

Activity: 1196
Merit: 26

View Profile
February 25, 2022, 10:50:52 AM

Lately i got some 470 in my hand gpuz showed hynix memory i said ok but card was acting wierd then opened it and saw memories are samsung Smiley so i downloaded from techpowerup samsung memory bios and flashed now working without any issues. maybe you also have same problem
FP91G
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2022, 02:25:00 PM

Lately i got some 470 in my hand gpuz showed hynix memory i said ok but card was acting wierd then opened it and saw memories are samsung Smiley so i downloaded from techpowerup samsung memory bios and flashed now working without any issues. maybe you also have same problem
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/190672/sapphire-rx470-4096-161012
Memory Support
  4096 MB, GDDR5, Autodetect
  4096 MB, GDDR5, Elpida EDW4032BABG
  4096 MB, GDDR5, Hynix H5GC4H24AJR

You need to carefully study this parameter. I'm not 100% sure, but if you use such a BIOS on a video card with Samsung memory, then the video card can turn into a brick.It is better to use a bios from the manufacturer, but if there is no bios with suitable memory, then you can use a bios from a similar video card from another manufacturer. If your video card has 2 fans, then choose a video card with 2 fans from another manufacturer. But don't forget the risks.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██