Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:13:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you a Linux user?  (Read 99 times)
BernyJB (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 190

View Profile
January 12, 2022, 02:40:06 PM

Just now it hit me: I haven't seen any threads on which OS's are you guys running.

I've been using different Linux distros since 2009 (Ubuntu, Crunchbang, Bunsen Labs, Viperr, Fedora, Mabox and finally Manjaro). Right now, I'm using (not liking it at all) Manjaro KDE, and testing Open Suse Tumbleweed on a virtual machine. I've been very happy with Fedora for several years, but 34 and 35 have gone straight to hell.

In any case, any more nixers around here? What distros are you guys using?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
belRiose

Activity: 15
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 13, 2022, 04:22:58 AM
Merited by BernyJB (2)

Kubuntu, for the past 4 years.

Go Linux and you can never go back.

With Windows or Mac, you get to use a PC.
With Linux, you own it.
BernyJB (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2022, 03:10:35 PM

Kubuntu, for the past 4 years.

Go Linux and you can never go back.

With Windows or Mac, you get to use a PC.
With Linux, you own it.

Hell yeah! Grin

I'ḿ surprised nobody else chimed in, though. I'd have thought, considering the obvious security differences, a lot more people would be using one Linux flavor or another...

Kubuntu I never used. I started with Ubuntu 9.10 (that is, YEARS before Unity.  Grin), and went straight for Crunchbang!. I have a soft spot for the Ubuntu universe, as it showed me the way into a world I couldn't have dreamed about a minute before. But once you get bit by the Openbox bug, it's hard to go back.   
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5814

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2022, 05:52:33 PM

I'ḿ surprised nobody else chimed in, though. I'd have thought, considering the obvious security differences, a lot more people would be using one Linux flavor or another...

Kubuntu I never used. I started with Ubuntu 9.10 (that is, YEARS before Unity.  Grin), and went straight for Crunchbang!. I have a soft spot for the Ubuntu universe, as it showed me the way into a world I couldn't have dreamed about a minute before. But once you get bit by the Openbox bug, it's hard to go back.   
I think this board is just not visited a lot by devs etc., since it contains a lot of spam probably.
My guess is that most a little bit technical people use Linux for their main or other machine, if not at least for running their Bitcoin node.

Personally, I like stable systems and I switched from Debian based distros to openSUSE a while back, after a recommendation from     mocacinno. Been loving it ever since and used in a few systems so far already. I like how less stuff seems to be preinstalled compared to Ubuntu & friends, so it results in a leaner system with less packages to maintain and better performance. That's something I like in particular, hence the choice of c-lightning over lnd as well.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
kaggie

Activity: 333
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 14, 2022, 06:57:53 PM

Just now it hit me: I haven't seen any threads on which OS's are you guys running.

I've been using different Linux distros since 2009 (Ubuntu, Crunchbang, Bunsen Labs, Viperr, Fedora, Mabox and finally Manjaro). Right now, I'm using (not liking it at all) Manjaro KDE, and testing Open Suse Tumbleweed on a virtual machine. I've been very happy with Fedora for several years, but 34 and 35 have gone straight to hell.

I avoid windows like the plague. I don't do any credit card transactions that don't have 2-factor authentication on it. I use windows for work, due to the ubiquity of powerpoint and word, but even these days, the bugs in routinely using those programmes makes them not worth it. I guess I still use windows for some gaming, occasionally, but I game very, very little these days.

I'm generally on the Ubuntu flavors. Ubuntu used to do very well, but then they changed their OS interface trying to make it into the mobile markets. I have Ubuntu on a phone! And it works for calls and internet broadcasting, although not for whatsapp. After Ubuntu changed their default interface, I moved into Linux Cinnamon. It worked like a dream, until they moved to systemd. After that, I'd find my computer's graphics card was running abnormally high all the time, and that's in every version. I have difficulties with every Ubuntu and Linux Mint upgrade, often feeling like they brick my laptops. Ubuntu and its flavours also have over the past few years given me regular errors on fresh installs, and regular warnings about those errors.

Recently, I have had the most success with Pop! OS and Devuan. I hate their default interfaces, so I normally install cinnamon (sudo apt cinnamon), which is my favorite windows manager. It looks the nicest, and is simple enough. Pop! OS works reasonably well for windows gaming, especially if you use Steam's new compatibility options. Not as good as windows itself for all games, but good enough that I don't feel the need to use windows for them. Devuan uses a non-systemd bootloading, and feels slick. Both have had issues with wifi drivers, where I have had to run some extra commands to get rtl recompiled and working. They work like a dream after that though.

I've been a linux user (and windows user) for decades. It really "came into its own" in the mid 10s though.

I once crashed a laptop of mine with an unfortunate number of bitcoin on a fully encrypted linux drive as I was simulating some memory intensive things, which corrupted the drive. (Perhaps it was recoverable, but it 99.99% isn't now.) I avoid linux drive encryption on most drives because files can be corrupted and irrecoverable too easily. Linux drive encryption has come a long way though in terms of compatibility, and is much easier than it used to be, despite its risk -- so think carefully about what you encrypt v not.
BernyJB (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2022, 07:59:34 PM

Oh, most definitely.
I know a lot of Linux users love to work endlessly on their machines, tweaking this and that, but that's not really what moves me. I want an OS to be reliable, fast, and to get out of the way while I'm working.
Since I love Openbox, I loved Mabox Linux, but I found years ago a big drawback with community projects is they lack a general direction. Loved the Crunchbang! feeling, but didn't like the non-customizable menu at all, and then somehow the repos got all screwed up, so I couldn't update. Not good.
I have downloaded OpenSuse Tumbleweed and have it running on virtualbox, but can't really find the time to test it out. I love the fact that's a rolling release, so I don't have to be reinstalling it after every 6 months like Fedora, but we'll see.

Kaggie: never had those problems with Ubuntu. Especially not my OS bricking my pc. I guess I left Ubuntu at the right time... Grin
I'd recommend you get virtualbox and start testing other distros. You sure got plenty of them to keep you entertained...
DrWho42

Activity: 262
Merit: 3

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2022, 10:29:59 PM

no but i'm open to using linux!

locus (http://locusmag.com)
PreciousH

Activity: 84
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 21, 2022, 11:25:08 AM

Yeah, I am using linux: Ubuntu i am using . In this, I think it's the most perfect to run application software and on different platforms. With this, anyone can authenticate to any system they need to use.
codemanjackson

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2022, 11:03:01 AM

Right after Windows 7 ended, I immediately switched to Linux Ubuntu, and all I can say is it is better than Windows. But there are limitations with this operating system. They still behind Windows in terms of gaming. I switched back to Windows 10 because I cannot play games like Toon Blast and Punishing Gray Raven. If only Ubuntu can run those games, maybe I didn't switch back. You can read reviews of the games here, download now!
BernyJB (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2022, 07:11:10 PM

Codemanjackson you could try running Windows on Virtualbox, that way you can have the best of both worlds.
I haven't benchmarked it, but people says it runs faster in Seamless Mode than when running natively...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: