Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:25:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: does anyone know why vtc is so strong  (Read 3295 times)
V8x8d

Activity: 212
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:12:24 PM

Vertcoin community is full of GPU miners and few investors, they flee to Vert because they cannot compete with incoming ASIC Scrypt machines. There is no real users (like many altcoins). These miners and investors don't want to sell, they HODL and dream that someday their coins will increase by 100 folds.

You clearly spend very little time reading the VTC forums.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ymer

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:17:23 PM

I seem to be thinking very childish and elementary on this, but couldn't you stop ASICs by making the algo REQUIRE a GPU or CPU?  Have some sort of hardware detection process, and if you don't run a certified AMD/NVIDIA GPU or Intel/AMD CPU then it won't give you work/shares. 

I'm not sure if that is really possible in the realm of mining, just something I thought of the other night.

Pls stahp posting
Coindgr

Activity: 1034
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:20:41 PM

isn't x11 or the heavycoin algo better? your vga run much cooler comapred to scrypt-n

I think most of people didn't realize the advantages of this algo, it keeps your GPU much cooler, and your power bill is much lower, because it draws less power from the wall.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
.Anonymous and Untraceable.
ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord 

▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
slaveforanunnak1

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:11:09 PM

Vertcoin is what litecoin was supposed to do and failed at. Period.
eddilicious (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:33:45 PM

i'll give vertcoin mining a try.  thanks, people in this thread.

no, it is not making money. it is just a last resort that GPU miner can rest. Angry
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:13:19 PM

does anyone know why vtc is so strong

Yes. Because this guy did a video on it saying he's been researching coins for weeks and decided Vert was the only one he'd invest in. Then the video got an airing on BrotherJohnF's "Bitcoin Channel". Within 25 hours of it appearing, the price started rising. (Unjustifiably).

Now that that video's fading into history, it will start to dump again and you'll be able to get some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJN3sHLZS0
coastermonger

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:21:43 PM

I think the shift to ASIC resistant coins is interesting, but also an inherently misguided unless the coin offers some other substantial benefit to owning it.  Darkcoin for instance, is very asic resistant with the X11 algorithm, and yes it draws less power and allows the GPU cards to mine cooler at higher hashrates, however this alone would be uninteresting to me.  

But Darkcoin is also fixated on making it's privacy features trustless and native to the client, offering additional benefits that other open ledger cryptocurrencies can't provide.  The idea of trying to "taint" or blacklist darkcoins just isn't feasible, and you'd never need to trust or a 3rd party service for coin mixing.

Beyond that, it's reward schedule is limited not by halvings, but by very gradual 7% annual reductions in the block reward.  One to watch if you ask me.

Bitrated user: Rees.
slaveforanunnak1

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:21:58 PM

Yes. Because this guy did a video on it saying he's been researching coins for weeks and decided Vert was the only one he'd invest in. Then the video got an airing on BrotherJohnF's "Bitcoin Channel". Within 25 hours of it appearing, the price started rising. (Unjustifiably).

Now that that video's fading into history, it will start to dump again and you'll be able to get some.

Rofl
Yes... And nothing to do with the fact that scrypt asics just came out.....
And Iraq has WMDs lol
eddilicious (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 10:09:17 PM

the video has only been viewed 2000 times. that can pump a coin 3x? could not even finish watching the video, is that a research for 5th grader? geeee, I should post a video on youtube to pump something, or anything

Huh
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 10:15:43 PM

try bidding for three days, cannot get any, too long for a pump. it is like something is happening  Angry

btw, I really hate those endless Icelandcoin, spaincoin, greececoin and stuff. can someone just end it? soon we will start to see Alabamacoins, buffalocoins.

scrypt miner pre-orders started and they sold like 2 million worth or something and they are reported to be WAAAY faster than gpu's..
so scrypt coins may be dropping in value soon.. i have been mining VTC for a couple months now and have dropped my scrypt coins and bought some VTC.

here is a link to the scrypt asic pre-order story posted recently..
http://www.coindesk.com/scrypt-asic-race-intensifies-knc-scores-2m-preorders/

FUD first & ask questions later™
AmpedGoose

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:36:07 PM

try bidding for three days, cannot get any, too long for a pump. it is like something is happening  Angry

btw, I really hate those endless Icelandcoin, spaincoin, greececoin and stuff. can someone just end it? soon we will start to see Alabamacoins, buffalocoins.

Yeah, just hoping that folks don't start making even sillier stuff like LeBron James coins, Justin Beiber coins, Miley Twerker coins...etc.  Smiley  Hmmm, do the mutant ninja turtles have their own coin yet?
porcupine87

Activity: 546

hm

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:40:41 PM

Vertcoin golden days starts when Scrypt Asic's come

Why does a coin get more valuable when you can't mine it with ASICs? It doesn't make any sense. ASICs make the coin more secure. This is like saying that some internet connections are DSL-proof, so only modem 56k can use it and therefore it is more valuable...

The alternative to ASICs is POS - for now. (let's see what the future brings)

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
ballot

Activity: 969
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 08:47:39 PM

i dont think vtc and other coins has that algo are asic-resistant
because they just doubled an default integer value and thats all i am sure by a new fw old scrypt asics can hash scrypt-n coins
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 09:05:49 PM

Why does a coin get more valuable when you can't mine it with ASICs? It doesn't make any sense. ASICs make the coin more secure. This is like saying that some internet connections are DSL-proof, so only modem 56k can use it and therefore it is more valuable...

real simple.. do you gpu mine Bitcoin ? of course not nobody does and if you did your a moron.

and to the other guy ya the asic resistance is built into how it works and you clearly don't know how it does so go read up on it.
i'll give you a hint.. it changes over time.

when asics take more of a strangle hold on all the scrypt clone i have no doubt at all that Vertcoin will become far more popular and valuable.

FUD first & ask questions later™
porcupine87

hm

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 09:31:46 PM

real simple.. do you gpu mine Bitcoin ? of course not nobody does and if you did your a moron.
So? How does it make a coin valuable when some old miners with GPUs can mine it? Would Bitcoin be at 10 000$ if it would be ASIC proof? Just think about it. What makes a coin valuable? Are this the cheap transaction? Independency from state or banks? transaction time? Anonymity? Or is it because you can mine it?

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 10:07:33 PM

What makes a coin valuable? Are this the cheap transaction? Independency from state or banks? transaction time? Anonymity? Or is it because you can mine it?
as long as we're talking about independence from banks, the rise of the cloud mining, datacentre mining, and the concentration of hash power results in just another centralized currency.  i think 2014 is the end of the home miner for bitcoin as serious miners move to a few dedicated mining farms.  meet the new boss, same as the old boss.  

Part of the value of the coin resides in its resilience to attack.  a distributed blockchain is more secure than a blockchain controlled by a handful of entities.

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 10:11:11 PM

i dont think vtc and other coins has that algo are asic-resistant
because they just doubled an default integer value and thats all i am sure by a new fw old scrypt asics can hash scrypt-n coins
and then vtc presumably changes the N value again, or changes algorithms. 

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
porcupine87

hm

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:43:18 AM

What makes a coin valuable? Are this the cheap transaction? Independency from state or banks? transaction time? Anonymity? Or is it because you can mine it?
as long as we're talking about independence from banks, the rise of the cloud mining, datacentre mining, and the concentration of hash power results in just another centralized currency.  i think 2014 is the end of the home miner for bitcoin as serious miners move to a few dedicated mining farms.  meet the new boss, same as the old boss.  

Part of the value of the coin resides in its resilience to attack.  a distributed blockchain is more secure than a blockchain controlled by a handful of entities.

If you want to reach a higher level of security, there is no way that every normal PC can mine it. Miners want to make profit and look for more efficient mining hardware. It is even more efficient to have a GPU or CPU farm instead of one graphic card in a gaming PC.
Let's assume, the current hartrate of Bitcoin gets divide to individuals with the same hashrate, one GPU with 600KH/s(a 7950). We have now 40 000 000 000 000kh/s, so this would be 67Mio. individuals. Each of them would get 0.000054btc every day. Depeding on your country you need 0.002-0.005btc electricity.

So now, tell me, how this should work.

nagatlakshmi

Activity: 616

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 10:17:44 AM

Grin Grin Grin  Cheesy

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: