Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:13:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I can build a more secure web wallet than any other so far.  (Read 1302 times)
Aleksei Richards (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 11:07:34 AM

If I build the following web wallet, it will be the most secure web wallet currently on the market. Agree or disagree ?

1. The client will be a 1 page backbone.js app deployed directly from the repository on github. The page would be signed with my PGP public key.

Why?

a. Because it would then be possible to write a chrome or firefox plugin to verify the wallet downloaded to your machine corresponds to the code on the repository. Blockchain.info has a form of this already but without the PGP signing.

b. If any third party such as github/cloudflare tampered with the wallet the user would be able to see and flags would be raised.

2. All javascript in plain text and easy to read. (unobfuscated).

Why ? Because the wallet is then open for peer review. Like all solutions that use cryptography peer review is the way to go.

3. No naked private keys stored on the server. No naked keys ever passed to the server.
Why ?

a. Search for “Bitcoin wallet hacked” on google then come back here.
b. Because there is no technical reason why we should ever do this again. And that includes exchanges too.

4. Users shouldn't pick their own passwords.

Why ?

a. Because a lot of users, pick either very week password or re-use passwords on other sites.
b. Because we can then pick passwords with sufficient entropy to properly encrypt private keys.

5. Users should not be able to send coins to the wallet until 2FA is enabled. All operations requiring spends should also be protected with 2FA.

Why ? To defend against malware such as key loggers.

6. A way for users to recover their wallet if the operator goes away.

Recovery procedure should be quick and simple. i.e. electrum passphrase.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1122

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:17:26 PM

I don't really understand why anybody uses web wallets. 

Use a local wallet.  Keep it encrypted.  Unencrypted keys are never stored, and keys encrypted or not never leave the local machine.  Keep it on removable media and remove it when you're not using it.  Then just run an OS more secure than Windows to keep keyloggers etc off of it.

Onar

Activity: 172
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:22:23 PM

To become mainstream a simpler solution must be made, to encrypt, save it on external harddisk and use a os securer than windows. This might apply us that are into the technology, but others its to much hasle.

I don't really understand why anybody uses web wallets. 

Use a local wallet.  Keep it encrypted.  Unencrypted keys are never stored, and keys encrypted or not never leave the local machine.  Keep it on removable media and remove it when you're not using it.  Then just run an OS more secure than Windows to keep keyloggers etc off of it.

dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 05:20:45 AM

So difference vs. blockchain.info is:

- no sending without 2FA
- GPG encryption of password

?
grau

Activity: 836
Merit: 1021

bits of proof

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 06:41:23 AM

If you really after a web wallet, then watch out myTREZOR.

It will be as easy to use as any web application with no sign-up. Your keys will be in your hand, literally, in a high security special purpose device, safe from any hacks.

http://www.bitcointrezor.com/news/2014-02-10-mytrezor-bop-bitcoin-server

Here you have its first public demo in Berlin:
http://vimeo.com/90026733
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:48:39 AM

Well you've got my attention and many others will come I'm sure.  Wallet security is always a good thing and if you can outdo the current top wallets in you opinion I'd like to know more about it.  Subscribed.
jiangkand1

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 07:59:23 AM

Use a local wallet is the safest!
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 09:34:25 AM

If your service can withstand someone stealing your wallet.dat file without losing funds, you are headed in the right direction.
timecoin

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 09:42:15 AM

Wallet security is always a problem if more secure than it is now purse, I think is definitely good.

serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 09:46:00 AM

If your service can withstand someone stealing your wallet.dat file without losing funds, you are headed in the right direction.

qt can withstands this as far as I know if you use a nice pass-phrase!

Space for rent if its still trending
timecoin

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:43:10 PM

Well you've got my attention and many others will come I'm sure.  Wallet security is always a good thing and if you can outdo the current top wallets in you opinion I'd like to know more about it.  Subscribed.
+1
Agree with what you said, I also very the attention of the wallet safe.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:52:04 PM

It will be as easy to use as any web application with no sign-up. Your keys will be in your hand, literally, in a high security special purpose device, safe from any hacks.

Agreed. TREZOR and other hardware wallets are strong security made simple, they're what's needed for bitcoin to go mainstream
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 05:21:58 PM

If you are looking to build a secure wallet, you may take a look at the 2-of-3 multi signature approaches by trustedcoin.com and bitgo.com.

CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 05:33:04 PM

Agreed. TREZOR and other hardware wallets are strong security made simple, they're what's needed for bitcoin to go mainstream

I am really looking forward to the Trezor (I ordered 2 last year) but I think it will not be for everyone. The retail price for this thing is yet TBA and I doubt that it will be anything below $100! Not much for total security if you are a "whale" and have lots of bitcoins in your wallet, but too much for the bitcoin starter.

So there is still room for another "middle security" wallet solution, easy to use for the average joe but still secure enough so that it is not easily hacked.

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
hjdt4fd1

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:55:03 AM

I am really looking forward to the Trezor (I ordered 2 last year) but I think it will not be for everyone. The retail price for this thing is yet TBA and I doubt that it will be anything below $100! Not much for total security if you are a "whale" and have lots of bitcoins in your wallet, but too much for the bitcoin starter.

So there is still room for another "middle security" wallet solution, easy to use for the average joe but still secure enough so that it is not easily hacked.
You're right, now the main wallet is safe and simple to use.
which2say

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 03:09:41 AM

You're right, now the main wallet is safe and simple to use.
Only safe and easy to use in order to be widely used, so you have to consider these two questions.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 04:02:02 AM

greenaddress.it is more secure than your suggested method.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
E.exchanger

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:03:01 AM

I think using of web wallets can never be safe so i prefer just filling mine with the amount needed at a particular time and for that blockchain is doing well so far, so i guess another online wallet is not what's needed right now. Good luck with your project though and hope to see it soon in action.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: