Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:44:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would miners ever want to generate "fake" transaction volume?  (Read 664 times)
JorgeStolfi (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:41:22 AM

(Apologies if this is a stupid question)

Could it be advantageous, in some circumstances, for the miners to collectively generate "bogus" transaction volume?

By that I mean a large number of perfectly valid transactions that merely shuffle coins between two or more addresses owned by the same miner.

Presumably there is no advantage for a single miner to do this, but what about an hypothetical mining cartel that accounted for a sizable percentage of all the mining activity?

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
romang

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:48:19 AM

(Apologies if this is a stupid question)

Could it be advantageous, in some circumstances, for the miners to collectively generate "bogus" transaction volume?

By that I mean a large number of perfectly valid transactions that merely shuffle coins between two or more addresses owned by the same miner.

Presumably there is no advantage for a single miner to do this, but what about an hypothetical mining cartel that accounted for a sizable percentage of all the mining activity?

Maybe might make a news story about transaction volume going up and the price might rise a little but that's about it.

JorgeStolfi (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:43:15 AM

Maybe might make a news story about transaction volume going up and the price might rise a little but that's about it.
Normally I suppose that would be the case.  But imagine the extreme hypothetical case where transactions drop to zero (say, because all bitcoin owners decide to hold their coins, or all transactions happen in internal ledgers of "bitcoin banks" without actual blockchain transactions).  Would the miners "starve"? Or would they keep mining empty blocks?

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:56:12 AM

Normally I suppose that would be the case.  But imagine the extreme hypothetical case where transactions drop to zero (say, because all bitcoin owners decide to hold their coins, or all transactions happen in internal ledgers of "bitcoin banks" without actual blockchain transactions).  Would the miners "starve"? Or would they keep mining empty blocks?

As long as the block subsidy still exists, they will simply mine empty blocks and receive the block subsidy as a reward.

Eventually, bitcoin will need a continuous flow of fee paying transactions to provide the necessary incentive for miners to participate.  The block subsidy will fall to extremely small amounts, eventually falling to 0 BTC. If bitcoin doesn't ever reach a high enough level of acceptance and use to provide such a continuous flow of transactions, then miners will begin to shut off their equipment and the security of the network will falter.

It would not be productive for a miner to create transactions.  At best, they'd be paying themselves with their own bitcoins.  That certainly doesn't provide an incentive as they could increase their profits if they just keep the bitcoins and avoid spending resources on mining.  At worst, they would create transactions that would be confirmed by some other miner, essentially providing an incentive to other miners to try to destroy their profitability.
JorgeStolfi (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:59:09 AM

As long as the block subsidy still exists, they will simply mine empty blocks and receive the block subsidy as a reward.
Eventually, bitcoin will need a continuous flow of fee paying transactions to provide the necessary incentive for miners to participate.  [ ... ]

Thanks!

mintodev

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 12:35:00 PM

Eventually, bitcoin will need a continuous flow of fee paying transactions to provide the necessary incentive for miners to participate.  The block subsidy will fall to extremely small amounts, eventually falling to 0 BTC. If bitcoin doesn't ever reach a high enough level of acceptance and use to provide such a continuous flow of transactions, then miners will begin to shut off their equipment and the security of the network will falter.

It would not be productive for a miner to create transactions.  At best, they'd be paying themselves with their own bitcoins.  That certainly doesn't provide an incentive as they could increase their profits if they just keep the bitcoins and avoid spending resources on mining.  At worst, they would create transactions that would be confirmed by some other miner, essentially providing an incentive to other miners to try to destroy their profitability.

That's true.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:34:08 PM

Under the current rules, no.

There have been, however, many silly suggestions in this forum that would (intentionally or otherwise) give such an incentive.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
smolen

Activity: 524
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 02:11:02 AM

Yes, to establish indirect communication via blockchain between independent nodes and to artificially lower extranonce values.

Of course I gave you bad advice. Good one is way out of your price range.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: