Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:41:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] suprminer-jdd, Open Source nVidia GPU Miner with X16RT  (Read 162 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
JayDDee (OP)

Activity: 1386
Merit: 220

View Profile
January 29, 2022, 09:28:29 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2022, 11:22:09 PM by JayDDee

I couldn't find an open source GPU miner for X16RT so I made one, sort of. It was a trivial change
to add X16RT to X16R.

It also contains some fixes for compile issues with newer compilers and some new optimizations.
Performance compared to closed source fee-based miners is unknown. Posting comparisons is welcome.

It's available as source code only with no plans for a binary release for Windows. Suprminer should build on
Windows using VS assuming it did pre-fork.

https://github.com/JayDDee/suprminer-jdd

Caveat: Support will be minimal. I am not a CUDA developper and I won't pretend to be one. I managed to port some
optimizations from cpuminer to CUDA without breaking it, but that didn't require any CUDA skills. I hope the community
will chip in with tips for OC, intensity tuning, etc.

This thread is open for discussion, on topic of course. It is self moderated only to prevent malware posts which seem to be
attacking GPU miner threads lately.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
minerja

Activity: 1248
Merit: 297

View Profile
January 30, 2022, 06:41:59 PM

Hi JayDDee,

Love that you have made a GPU miner.

For us Windows guys, who have a go at compliling under Linux (i usually use LinuxMint 20, or Ubuntu 20), would you mind putting together a more comprehensive set of installation instructions.

I know i'm a dummy, but one thing i struggle with every time, is driver and cuda installs.
I get the latest driver, then cudu ses an older one, or cuda installs but then screws up the driver, then x-org, then crashes...total nightmare !!!

Clear step wise instructions assuming a completely clean new install of LM 20 or ubu20 would be great.

Looking forward to trying it.
Thanks
J
JayDDee (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2022, 07:47:13 PM
Last edit: January 30, 2022, 08:28:52 PM by JayDDee

one thing i struggle with every time, is driver and cuda installs.
I get the latest driver, then cudu ses an older one, or cuda installs but then screws up the driver, then x-org, then crashes...total nightmare !!!

The Unbuntu multiverse repo has this problem. Updating drivers is often incompatible with the installed Cuda version.
Stick with the default "tested" driver, currently 470 IIRC,  and ensure to install nvidia-cuda-toolkit-gcc to ensure a compatible version
of gcc is used to build cuda apps. Once it's working don't upgrade anything.
Edit: make sure to disable automatic updating, I got bit by that once. After a reboot the miner stopped working because the drivers
had been updated.

Using the Nvidia repo is more flexible but a lot more difficult if you aren't familiar with building kernel modules.

Hopefully someone will update the VS project files so it can be built on Windows.

If you do get Linux setup the build procedure is the same as any other version of ccminer or cpuminer:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/JayDDee/suprminer-jdd.git
cd suprminer-jdd
./build.sh

Edit: If you have VS you should try building on Windows. The only problem is you would need to add one source file
"x16r/x16rt.cu" to the project. Then it should build, assuming there were no issues previously.

GEMIN_M4

Activity: 237
Merit: 19

View Profile
February 01, 2022, 06:24:20 AM

Is x16rt algorithm still a thing? I don't see pow coins using this algorithm anymore most especially the new PoW coins or I'm I just don't know how big this algorithm is?.

██████████████ ███████ █│     S y n t r u m     │     JOIN NOW     │█ ███████ ██████████████
►   Blockchain Infrastructure for DeFi, Gaming and NFT   ◄
██████████████       |       Twitter       |     Telegram     |      Medium      |       ██████████████
JayDDee (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2022, 06:52:27 AM

Is x16rt algorithm still a thing? I don't see pow coins using this algorithm anymore most especially the new PoW coins or I'm I just don't know how big this algorithm is?.

It's a thing, but not a big thing. It can be mined with GPUs that can't mine ETH and there's no ASIC for it yet, AFAIK.
But that could change, if there's enough demand one will be built. For now there's no anchor coin to make an ASIC
feasible, mostly shitcoins with a short life span. It can be interesting at times.

minerja

Activity: 1248
Merit: 297

View Profile
February 01, 2022, 01:16:04 PM

Thanks Jayddee, all working now Smiley
JayDDee (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2022, 05:57:17 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2022, 11:24:28 PM by JayDDee

Thanks Jayddee, all working now Smiley

Glad it's working for you. It's a shame the Ubuntu driver manager is so fragile it can't keep the system stable.

I'm still hoping for VS project file updates so I can merge them and Windows users with VS can compile.
Not necessary, the new code has been merged into one file so there are no changes required to the project.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: