Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:04:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is doomed. Thanks IRS!!! You Ass hats!  (Read 19658 times)
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:12:45 PM

Bitcoin is not doomed,maybe taxing bitcoin is not as bad as it seams at the first sight.Once it get taxed people will be aware that is legal ,they will trust it more,buy it,make its value grow.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:23:33 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2014, 04:34:52 PM by atp1916

Bitcoin is not doomed,maybe taxing bitcoin is not as bad as it seams at the first sight.Once it get taxed people will be aware that is legal ,they will trust it more,buy it,make its value grow.

Correct, taxation is validation.  

More importantly, market players finally have a clear indication of what kind of beast they are dealing with.  As such, it is only a matter of time now before you see integration of Bitcoin payment protocol into their business models.   Clearly work must be done to iron out internal company tax compliance issues, but that is a far easier thing to stomach than paying hundreds of millions in fees a year to the current payment processing entities like mastercard, visa, amex etc.    Silicon Valley angel vc's are already investing millions into start-ups that provide solutions for all manners of Bitcoin protocol issues / applications.

With China out, out goes most of the speculation that has lead to nearly all the volatility of the price in the recent months.  The price straightens out...gets pegged at 750-825 where it should be at, people starting gaining confidence in the stability and then boom - people start buying stuff with bitcoins again.

Trust me, tax compliance services are well on their way to the market.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:47:09 PM

Thanks IRS!!! You Ass hats!
What is the highest tax rate on my Ass hat collection?  Roll Eyes
I need to make my taxes easier.

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:30:19 PM

Are there any IRS requirements for Coinbase or our local banks to report to the IRS when we move funds in/out of Coinbase (or similar services)? I'm wondering how on earth the IRS is going to know you sold a bitcoin in the first place? Or how will they know that a bitcoin you've sold was bought at XXX price, or was it one of the coins you mined?

Moreover, if we mined it shouldn't we be able to deduct the cost of electricity and the cost of mining hardware? Like many altcoin miners I've spent a good deal more on my mining hardware than I'll ever get in mining revenue, so I don't see the justice in the IRS taxing my mining revenue as if it had a cost basis of 0.

Let's say I instead use my BTC to by a Gyft card and spend it at Walmart - is there any way the IRS can possibly learn about the Gyft card purchase and use currently? Because that's the route I'm thinking of taking for any BTC I do cash out. I still think the IRS is in for an accounting nightmare if they want to try to wade through all my penny-altcoin trades at a half dozen exchanges, etc.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
atp1916
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:41:23 PM

Are there any IRS requirements for Coinbase or our local banks to report to the IRS when we move funds in/out of Coinbase (or similar services)? I'm wondering how on earth the IRS is going to know you sold a bitcoin in the first place? Or how will they know that a bitcoin you've sold was bought at XXX price, or was it one of the coins you mined?

Moreover, if we mined it shouldn't we be able to deduct the cost of electricity and the cost of mining hardware? Like many altcoin miners I've spent a good deal more on my mining hardware than I'll ever get in mining revenue, so I don't see the justice in the IRS taxing my mining revenue as if it had a cost basis of 0.

Let's say I instead use my BTC to by a Gyft card and spend it at Walmart - is there any way the IRS can possibly learn about the Gyft card purchase and use currently? Because that's the route I'm thinking of taking for any BTC I do cash out. I still think the IRS is in for an accounting nightmare if they want to try to wade through all my penny-altcoin trades at a half dozen exchanges, etc.

Coinbase is registered with FINCEN, and FINCEN can send information to the IRS.

You can write off just about every single facet of your operation.

I am going to tabulate all of my hardware costs, electrical usage each month, my internet bill, my rent.. just about everything associated with mining.  I am certain that i am obligated for 0 tax burden.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 07:09:05 PM

I am going to tabulate all of my hardware costs, electrical usage each month, my internet bill, my rent.. just about everything associated with mining.  I am certain that i am obligated for 0 tax burden.
Don't forget about computer maintenance costs (hint: make it expensive)!

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:12:46 PM

I am going to tabulate all of my hardware costs, electrical usage each month, my internet bill, my rent.. just about everything associated with mining.  I am certain that i am obligated for 0 tax burden.

ya should get a business license before april 15th us tax day and china bans bitcoin ..
atp1916
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:13:57 PM

ya should get a business license before april 15th us tax day and china bans bitcoin ..

Already did an LLC registered in Texas about a month ago: www.steeltidellc.com  Wink
J_Dubbs

Activity: 322

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:22:13 PM

Don't forget about computer maintenance costs (hint: make it expensive)!

Guys, bone up on the hobby/business laws. If you don't show a PROFIT for 3/5 years the IRS will categorize your business as a HOBBY. At that point you cannot write off expenses unless you are itemizing and there are restrictions on how much. Basically, once your business gets categorized as a hobby you get boxed in, and in either case you still need to account for the income. Right now it's almost impossible to not be projecting a loss for 2014, and those that started late in 2013 will have startup expenses that exceed mining revenue. So go ahead and tally all that stuff up, but when you show a loss it (a) increases your chances of being audited greatly and (b) puts you one step closer to having a hobby categorization.

In my opinion the IRS should not tax anything in a barter system, meaning if my mining and reinvestment into equipment is handled with all BTC it should have nothing to do with the IRS. With this the only things reportable would be taxable events, or the exchange of BTC for USD. Fantasy land, but I would have been much happier without having to account for capital gain/loss every time I buy a miner. It's really such bullshit because Bitcoin went from being convenient and fun, almost like a money simulation game, to the current state of accounting nightmare of spreadsheet madness. If I mine a Bitcoin and spend a Bitcoin the IRS wants me to pay them twice, but if I have a garden I only pay taxes when I sell the veggies, not when they grow. Bullshit, they really did ruin it, doing all my spreadsheets and meeting with an accountant confirmed this. Also, add up the hours doing all the math, and if you need to hire an accountant keep in mind they need to spend time on it and they get paid in dollars, not BTC.
atp1916
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:27:41 PM

Hum, maybe i'll just pay the tax and not even bother.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:45:05 PM

maybe you should stop mining ?? maybe that is what the us govy wants to accomplish is stop you and other americans from mining. if the us govy is taxing capital gains then they must think that bitcoin value will increase ?? or are they attempting to kill bitcoin ?? not sure if killing bitcoin is in their interest or not really since the us reserve dollar currency is on it's deathbed. i think what we have is a complex thing involving currency wars. in any case you still have two or three years to mine even if you don't make a profit ?? u could just give up the ghost and stiop mining ??
atp1916
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:53:44 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2014, 07:28:20 PM by atp1916

maybe you should stop mining ?? maybe that is what the us govy wants to accomplish is stop you and other americans from mining. if the us govy is taxing capital gains then they must think that bitcoin value will increase ?? or are they attempting to kill bitcoin ?? not sure if killing bitcoin is in their interest or not really since the us reserve dollar currency is on it's deathbed. i think what we have is a complex thing involving currency wars. in any case you still have two or three years to mine even if you don't make a profit ?? u could just give up the ghost and stiop mining ??

Shocked

That is a rather..interesting... take on things. lol
ZakCarter

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 08:20:56 PM

Well, trading bitcoin for land @ http://galtsgulchchile.com/ ...moving there and renouncing citizenship... might not be a bad idea! 
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:24:06 PM

Other countries have already integrated exchanges with few, if any, complaints from users. As a US citizen, I must jump through all sorts of loops just to purchase bitcoin. I do understand that we want to close fraudulent pathways for criminals, but those exist in fiat as well.

Any USD bought with bitcoin should be reported in tax information. But I feel that bitcoin allows for an international community and working for BTC would be a different situation.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 01:40:46 AM

It's not illegal. That's good news.

Remember, the IRS only taxes Americans. There are 248 nations.

But the USA is the richest nation on the planet...by quite some way. This will have a negative effect on Bitcoin.

LOL, which planet?Huh

Exactly, the US is bankrupt.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 01:41:38 AM

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/03/why-bitcoin-can-no-longer-work-as-a-virtual-currency-in-1-paragraph/359648/

I hate to admit it, but this story makes a lot of sense.

We can't legally trade BTC for BTC, we taxes at every level because its property not currency.....

Can someone please provide another, hopefully more positive, way to look at this?

Well, now, that all depends on how you go about it.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
bountygiver

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 02:18:31 AM

well you can always try to not associate your wallet with your identity.
No identity = they don't know who own the wallet = they don't know who to tax

For now you can profit from exchanging in other countries that doesn't tax it, but if bitcoin liquidity is higher you wouldn't need to exchange them which makes life easier too.

12dXW87Hhz3gUsXDDCB8rjJPsWdQzjwnm6
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 03:08:52 AM

well you can always try to not associate your wallet with your identity.
No identity = they don't know who own the wallet = they don't know who to tax

For now you can profit from exchanging in other countries that doesn't tax it, but if bitcoin liquidity is higher you wouldn't need to exchange them which makes life easier too.

Still have to pay taxes on "barter income", which is what that would be called.

sorryforthat

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:25:39 PM

How would something like this effect cloud mining.

Would Cex.io be the ones who automatically pull from the payout of what was mined on your behalf since they are the ones who technically own that miner? Or does it fall on us since we are the ones who "rent/own" the speed that solved that block. Now I read another reply that stated about claiming everything associated with that, I can see this as an advantage for companies like Cex.io to tax the miner (the owner of the Hash power) and then claim all the cost for a lower capital gains.

Is considered legal for a company to tax you and to not pass that tax to the IRS, since that tax is indeed not for profit of the company and if this would conflict with a claim by Cex.io for lower capital gains due to operational costs and in turn profiting from the tax they took from you.

Now considering the tax falls on us to pay, this would be an advantage since, you did pay into that speed which could be a deduction depending on how long it takes you to profit from your investment.

(This question applies to the purchase of Hash power aswell)
ensarwyckven

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 09:31:55 PM

If there was a better kind of tax system in the US, that should-would include the IRS being replaced with a much better and fairly run Federal taxing agency. The IRS should Stop harassing the American people because of their use of Bitcoin !
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: