Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:16:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GeForce GT 120 only giving around 5.5 Mhash/s  (Read 2450 times)
Delocaz (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:29:36 PM

What am i doing wrong?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
paladin_avatar16

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:55:17 PM

probably nothing ...

have alook at this:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

While I didn't find your card, it will give you a general idea what to expect ...
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:06:36 PM

What am i doing wrong?
Nothing.

Delocaz (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:11:26 PM

I guess my GPU is not a good one? Should i mine with this or use CPU mining instead? (I have 3 core 2.4GHz AMD Phenom X3 CPU)
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:18:14 PM

I guess my GPU is not a good one? Should i mine with this or use CPU mining instead? (I have 3 core 2.4GHz AMD Phenom X3 CPU)

Probably with none. Your CPU shouldn't get you much more than that. Check that wiki link to find out.
Delocaz (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:25:03 PM

I guess i should abandon BitCoins until i get better specs?
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:27:28 PM

If you want bitcoins you should buy them. Mining is not profitable at the moment for most people...
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:34:18 PM

Bitcoin is not a get rich quick scheme. Sure, bitcoin mining can be profitable but only with the right hardware and of course depending on their price.

Nvidia sucks at bitcoin mining. For the same price of your card you can buy an ATI that will mine MUCH MUCH more.

As for CPU mining well, a gpu simply mine bitcoins much faster than a cpu.

But, if you want to use your CPU, you can CPU mine Litecoins and sell them for Bitcoin.

thisguy

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 05:10:21 PM

Bitcoin is not a get rich quick scheme. Sure, bitcoin mining can be profitable but only with the right hardware and of course depending on their price.

Nvidia sucks at bitcoin mining. For the same price of your card you can buy an ATI that will mine MUCH MUCH more.

But, if you want to use your CPU, you can CPU mine Litecoins and sell them for Bitcoin.

I am unfamiliar with litecoins... could you possibly provide a link or two for one to get started on mining litecoins? I have a i7 quad core computer but a not so good Nvidia card so this would be perfect for me.
unabridged

Activity: 31

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 05:29:28 PM

I am unfamiliar with litecoins... could you possibly provide a link or two for one to get started on mining litecoins? I have a i7 quad core computer but a not so good Nvidia card so this would be perfect for me.

here is a link to the main litecoin thread with lots of information:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47417.0

here is a guide to get started mining at pool-x.eu:
http://pool-x.eu/gettingstarted
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 09:35:18 PM

Even a good nvidia card would not be good as a ati card in bitcoin mining.

As for selling litecoins https://vircurex.com/

Please note that litecoins aren't bitcoin and well selling them for bitcoin is a good idea if you have a good cpu but i can't guarantee for the price  Cheesy

dark_st3alth

Activity: 33

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 11:35:42 PM

Take a look at the link in my sig if your wondering why.
racerguy

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 12:59:36 PM

you make a decent amount of btc's by mining litecoins and selling them for btc's.
apso

Activity: 36

View Profile
December 10, 2011, 02:05:04 PM

Bitcoin mining was profitable a few years ago, but now that new blocks requires more and more calculations, only people with crazy rigs who doesn't have to pay for electricity may earn some money with this method.
paybitcoin

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

1h79nc

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2011, 01:43:19 AM

Yes, with the 5.5 MH/s, you could only expect to make 0.15 BTC / month, with your GPU running 24 / 7. Difficulty is just too high to mine without specialized hardware.

http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: