Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:44:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 4GB GPUs on ETH  (Read 251 times)
IdiotCoder

Activity: 193
Merit: 26

View Profile
April 25, 2022, 05:53:35 PM

Besides, Etthereum, what coin should I mine after the merge? I get free power.
You have two options.

1: Wait until AFTER the ETH PoS merge. Wait until video card prices crash as miners go out of business then liquidate their rigs. Then buy cheap RTX 3060's for $200-250 each or RX 6800's for $300-400. With free power, you will probably make a 20%-50% per year return; then hopefully when the next GPU coin gold rush happens, you can make a 200-400% return in a year.

2: Buy video cards now and mine on them, hoping to sell them off right before the PoS merge. You're taking a risk with timing. However, PoS should take at least 6 months. Returns in today's market can be up to 300% at free power.

You can combine both these options as well. What I plan to do is mine for the next few months, liquidate, then buy back 3x as many cards after the PoS aftermath is over.

Switching over to a different coin after PoS will not work, because the resale value of your GPU will collapse overnight. You must liquidate before GPU prices crash!

Anyone using this strategy with 4GB cards?.
Those days are long gone. Mine ERG, ETC, FLUX or the best coin for the hardware. Beware that after ETH PoS, all the ETH ASICs like the Innosilicon A10 / Bitmain E9 will be mining ETC/ZIL/MTP/QKC. Your GPU will be competing against ASICs which have no other choice, so expect to make 10x less revenue than you can these days.

BTW, folks who bought ETH ASICs today will be the bagholders if PoS happens in less than a year. Imagine the value of an Innosilicon A10 Pro 750Mh miner plummeting from $14k to just $2k. They'll never get their money back even if ETH is $5000!

Only problem is I don't like selling stuff because I'm always being talked down. If I sell my six GPUs, someone will lowball me. I hate that. I sold a razor phone and the buyer gave a sob story and said it was for a senior to call 911. I tried to be firm at $50, but they kept to their sob story and only offer $30 and there were no other buyers. This is common on craigslist/ebay.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Coinfarm ventures

Activity: 182
Merit: 152

View Profile
April 25, 2022, 06:46:58 PM

Only problem is I don't like selling stuff because I'm always being talked down. If I sell my six GPUs, someone will lowball me. I hate that. I sold a razor phone and the buyer gave a sob story and said it was for a senior to call 911. I tried to be firm at $50, but they kept to their sob story and only offer $30 and there were no other buyers. This is common on craigslist/ebay.
If you know what the market value of an item is, then offer it at a fixed price. No need to argue over sob stories with the buyer.

Continue mining until somebody buys the card or rig. Selling is not easy, especially in bulk; but seeing the value of your card drop from $350 to $200 overnight is much worse, let alone when I suffered a $370 to $90 crash in 2018. I price in a 15% loss when I sell anything due to either 8-9% feeBay fees or the time I spend.

If ETH can still be this profitable after all those millions of Asic miners around the world then its possible that other PoW coins will continue from where ETH left off, its only a matter of time, once every coins are worthless to mine the difficulty will start reducing, this is where I will get in.
I don't think ASICs are more than 30% of the nethash for ETH. Even if they are, the price of the ASICs is so high that building a GPU rig is better.

You are right that it will take 'a matter of time' for a new GPU gold rush, but be prepared to make zero daily profit for up to 3 years while you wait and your rig depreciates by 20-30% per year. If there is a gold rush, your rig doubles or triples in value while the coins you HODL'd go up 3-10x.

I would also only speculatively mine coins that are cheaper to mine than just mining the most profitable coin, then trading it for the coin you want. Usually it's cheaper and more convenient to just mine the best coin, then invest the proceeds into a portfolio of speculative coins.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
April 26, 2022, 02:29:05 AM
Merited by FP91G (1)

I don’t think after Ethereum that there will be something as profitable for POW as Bitcoin and Ethereum was. And it has mostly to do with climate change.

Most projects are POS because it’s efficient. Right now with climate change, price of oil, price of electricity is very high. Look at how many people are blaming Bitcoin for climate change right now, same with Ethereum. All that hash power using tons of power to power an entire country when it could be replaced by POS instead.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
cudapop

Activity: 93
Merit: 41

View Profile
April 27, 2022, 04:19:08 AM

...I don't know how lolminer devs manage to pull this stunt, they did a very good job.

The portion of the DAG above the 4GB vram limit is stored in the system/pc ram, and DAG requests to the above-4GB limit are coursed through the PCIe data lanes since CUDA allows for consolidated access to system/pc ram via a feature called "Unified Memory". This is why the hashrate drops since all accesses to DAG data above the 4GB limit need to go through the PCIe lanes to the system/pc ram, and this is also why using a x16 PCIe slot improves the gpu's access to system ram.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 27, 2022, 11:52:52 AM

The only advantage of the PX470, Px 480 video cards with 4 GB of memory and analogues is that they are now very cheap. If you have free green energy, then these video cards have a very good payback, cheap repairs, but from the minuses, this is a small profit.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██