Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:54:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I repair a power supply  (Read 207 times)
DevFile90 (OP)

Activity: 227
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 07, 2022, 05:53:14 PM

Once a power supply dies is there anything I can fix inside to probably make it start working again? This power supply refuse to on again I thought it was my motherboard until I try another power supply in the motherboard and it works, I checked the dead power supply fuse with a meter but still intact.

██████████████ ███████ █│     S y n t r u m     │     JOIN NOW     │█ ███████ ██████████████
►   Blockchain Infrastructure for DeFi, Gaming and NFT   ◄
██████████████       |       Twitter       |     Telegram     |      Medium      |       ██████████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
April 07, 2022, 09:25:00 PM

Once a power supply dies is there anything I can fix inside to probably make it start working again? This power supply refuse to on again I thought it was my motherboard until I try another power supply in the motherboard and it works, I checked the dead power supply fuse with a meter but still intact.

Dont even try, power supply is very dangerous.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Lafu
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 3016

View Profile
April 08, 2022, 02:05:59 AM

If you are not an electrician that knows what maybe to do with that , then you should be throw it away and get you a new one.
Even if you can repair it or some electrician that you know its not the same as a new one and you never know what will happen after it was repaired.
In the worst case your other hardware can be destroyed an damaged. Buy a new one .

devil2man

Activity: 759
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 08, 2022, 06:47:44 AM

In theory it is possible if you know about electrical things but in my opinion it is risky it could then go into short circuit and burn the other connected components or even catch fire
verbakalim

Activity: 1176
Merit: 618

View Profile
April 08, 2022, 07:00:25 AM

Power supplies are devices that have a serious electrical load. Especially power supplies used in mining.  If you are not an expert in technical issues, do not try the topic of repair.  Please note that you will be doing the repair work directly under the voltage of 220 volts.  This product, which is necessarily malfunctioning, has an authorized service.  Ask them for help.  They will solve your problem in a short time.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Crypt0Gore

Activity: 812
Merit: 260

View Profile
April 08, 2022, 08:50:04 AM

You won't ask this question if you are a qualified engineer, don't bother trying to fix something that you know nothing about, its dangerous, you can cause more damage to other PC components, go and buy another power supply.

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█                             █
   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          █
            ▄▄████████▄▄     █
     ▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄   █
          █████▀▀  ▀▀█████▄  █
          █████      ██████  █
          █████▄▄  ▄▄█████▀  █
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████████▀   █
            ▀▀████████▀▀     █
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀          █
█                             █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
ROLLBOTS
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
   PLAY NOW   
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1025

View Profile
April 08, 2022, 10:43:06 AM

People will tell you many times that it is dangerous, but that's not the point. I am an engineer and I communicate with other engineers who repair various equipment. It is very difficult to diagnose a breakdown in good power supplies, because there is no documentation. I gave power supplies to a good master for repair, and out of 5 he was able to subdue only 1, and spent a lot of time.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
VRExpress

Activity: 263
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 08, 2022, 12:26:02 PM

You are better off buying a new PSU, if you have opened the PSU and the fuse is still intact just go to a store nearby and buy another, don't do anything stupid thinking you can repair a dead PSU they are very complicated.

██████████████ ███████ █│     S y n t r u m     │     JOIN NOW     │█ ███████ ██████████████
██████████████       |       Twitter       |     Telegram     |      Medium      |       ██████████████
FomoMiner

Activity: 26
Merit: 5

View Profile
April 08, 2022, 05:23:40 PM

as already mentioned, without strong knowledge in electricity & electronic, I would advice you to not even try because of real danger during reparation and after.
Now I see maybe one exception for this rule: if it is only a fan related issue. If it is just your fan that stopped turning but your psu still work, replacing the fan is imho feasible.
I have encounter the problem where the fan stopped working but gpu still fed. I used an external fan controller to which I connected the fan and this psu is still functioning right now.
but tbh if I could I would have bought another psu. for the moment all is good and I hope it will still be ok
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
April 08, 2022, 06:29:23 PM

as already mentioned, without strong knowledge in electricity & electronic, I would advice you to not even try because of real danger during reparation and after.
Now I see maybe one exception for this rule: if it is only a fan related issue. If it is just your fan that stopped turning but your psu still work, replacing the fan is imho feasible.
I have encounter the problem where the fan stopped working but gpu still fed. I used an external fan controller to which I connected the fan and this psu is still functioning right now.
but tbh if I could I would have bought another psu. for the moment all is good and I hope it will still be ok

Yes, related to the fan, I also agree to open it and unplug the old fan and then put a new one, you dont need to put an identical fan, put another one, need to be a strong fan here, at least 2000 rpm on top of it to make it blow the hot air away and cool down the psu components, how do you know if is the fan? The safety circuit will trigger if the temperature is higher than allowed, meaning your psu will turn off, that is called "The Overheat Protection (OHP)" and by the way I have done that to a friend of mine.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 1699

View Profile
April 09, 2022, 03:21:08 AM
Merited by nc50lc (1)

The only part you can safety repair of a PSU is the fan. You can open it up and you will see it’s a regular case fan. Buy the exact same one. Since it’s PWM you need to make sure it’s a similar model since the PSU will control the fan speed. If you can’t get the same fan just hook up the +12V and GND pins and it’ll run at full speed. Since it’s a case fan they aren’t that loud.

I wouldn’t try and repair it. Usually it’s something burnt or something exploded like a capacitor. You will most likely hurt yourself because you won’t discharge it and you will shock yourself since those big capacitors can store charge for a very long time. Just get a new PSU.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 1059

View Profile
April 09, 2022, 05:32:54 AM

the fan or maybe the fuse that might be blown due to a power surge..but if you replace the fuse, test it on low value gear first.

you wouldn't know if there are components that degraded during the failure, they will later fail after the PSU is (if) fixed...what will the next PSU failure brings with it? a couple of GPUs? LOL. throw that ticking time bomb away LOL

today the value of GPUs and power supply are very very far almost up to 10x the worth of a PSU, if you plug 3 GPUs that's 30x the worth of the PSU..you wouldn't dare! LOL

even brand new top of the line PSU should be tested on low value gear first, i had an experience with ax1500i that fucker killed a motherboard and a RAM straight from the box, good thing that board and ram was brand new too, so they are RMA'd with the PSU.
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1025

View Profile
April 09, 2022, 07:28:57 AM

Do you really think that modern powerful power supplies are like this? Modern circuits are very complex and in my country power supplies are not repaired under warranty. Faulty power supplies are sent to the manufacturer's warehouse, and the manufacturer, after checking, gives a new power supply.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
FloppyPurpleGherkin

Activity: 306
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 09, 2022, 10:16:04 AM

Dont even try, power supply is very dangerous.

This.
DevFile90 (OP)

Activity: 227

View Profile
April 09, 2022, 12:47:07 PM

Do you really think that modern powerful power supplies are like this? Modern circuits are very complex and in my country power supplies are not repaired under warranty. Faulty power supplies are sent to the manufacturer's warehouse, and the manufacturer, after checking, gives a new power supply.
I found 3 capacitors that have a swollen head, can this make the PSU not to turn on? I checked the fuses its still good 👍, a good picture this is.

Cuda911

Activity: 110
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 09, 2022, 12:48:47 PM

You can get a used PSU for 25-45$ this was how I source for computer parts in my country, I dont go to the store to buy new parts, even GPUs and others can be found at lesser price.

batsonxl

Activity: 1194
Merit: 26

View Profile
April 09, 2022, 06:00:01 PM

please send it to me i will gladly repair that
StormHawk

Activity: 219

View Profile
April 10, 2022, 06:28:00 AM

You can replace the capacitors if you have a soldering iron and also spare parts from another dead PSU, make sure you replace capacitors with the exact voltage and UF number on the bad ones but I doubt this will bring the PSU back to life.

Nhazwrath

Activity: 290
Merit: 39

View Profile
April 10, 2022, 10:15:46 AM

I found 3 capacitors that have a swollen head, can this make the PSU not to turn on? I checked the fuses its still good 👍, a good picture this is.

Yes if you know how to solder. This is a real skill if you haven't done it before look up some videos on YouTube I'm sure theres tons.  Its fairly easy but can be screwed up if you are not aware theres Wrong ways to solder.
be aware that being BAD at soldering can damage the circuit board and other components.  Watch those videos and practice on some junk first.

Know how to make sure the larger caps are drained

Know that most DC caps have a positive and negative post.  Don't reverse them.  Dont assume that the only the caps with popped tops are bad.   good probability that they Are the only ones bad but its not always the case.

BTW I have repaired a fair bit of equipment just from replacing those cheap Chinese caps.    I've always called fuse protected circuits fantastic since they always protect the fuses from blowing  =>  Mostly monitors though.  Ive rarely fixed power supplies for PC's Mostly due to having spares and time.

GEMIN_M4

Activity: 237
Merit: 19

View Profile
April 10, 2022, 11:45:01 AM

Judging with my engineering knowledge a bad capacitor can make a power supply not to turn on, there will be shorts on the board and that will stop the whole PSU to supply, Changing the capacitors is the first step to take here but don't do it if you don't have any skills in this field.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: