Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 08:26:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Found old paper with password hints... btcrecover help w/ python errors  (Read 493 times)
PawGo
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1367

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 07:27:36 AM

-snip- I am wondering how to enable GPU?
Add --enable-gpu argument to your command.
That's assuming that you've successfully installed pyopencl and your GPU is supported.

b2352351, could you paste here the command you launch? In which mode you use btcrecover? Maybe in the one where GPU is not supported (or gives very limited performance improvement).
What is "password"? Is it for a seed or brainwallet?
b2352351 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 01:37:22 PM

-snip- I am wondering how to enable GPU?
Add --enable-gpu argument to your command.
That's assuming that you've successfully installed pyopencl and your GPU is supported.

b2352351, could you paste here the command you launch? In which mode you use btcrecover? Maybe in the one where GPU is not supported (or gives very limited performance improvement).
What is "password"? Is it for a seed or brainwallet?

Code:
python btcrecover.py --wallet wallet.dat --tokenlist tokenlist.txt

But now I am going to add

Code:
python btcrecover.py --enable-gpu --wallet wallet.dat --tokenlist tokenlist.txt

and expand my password/token list.

Also I'm pretty sure my wallet.dat file is intact. It still says modified in 2013 in the properties and opens fine inside of the latest version of bitcoin core. Has there ever been any cases of wallet.dat files saying wrong password after being copied from the original machine? Or would you get a file corruption error within bitcoin core long before that? I really thought I'd be able to get it on the first pass. Now I just gotta sit down and expand the tokenlist a little bit.
PawGo
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 01:43:03 PM

If the problem is to find wallet.dat password, I think hashcat is a much better solution.
I think it is easier to configure search parameters (at least for me)...
https://hashcat.net/hashcat/

You would simply prepare a configuration using masks:
https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=mask_attack

b2352351 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 01:55:27 PM

If the problem is to find wallet.dat password, I think hashcat is a much better solution.
I think it is easier to configure search parameters (at least for me)...
https://hashcat.net/hashcat/

You would simply prepare a configuration using masks:
https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=mask_attack

Well I somewhat understand how to configure tokenlist and am cracking at about 10,000 checks per second now on the GPU so I'm not sure why I'd need to switch to hashcat. I think I just need to refine my tokenlist now.
PawGo
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 02:20:29 PM

Well I somewhat understand how to configure tokenlist and am cracking at about 10,000 checks per second now on the GPU so I'm not sure why I'd need to switch to hashcat. I think I just need to refine my tokenlist now.

Ah, ok, good luck then!
I think you have many hints, so your chances are really big!
b2352351 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 04:11:36 PM

Dang so i'm up to about a million guesses. No go yet

I have about 90 words on each line. I duplicated 1, 2 and 3 into the first line, 2nd line and 3rd line so my guesses have tripled. Still no go. I really thought I was going to get it.

I'll keep refining the list and thinking of more possibilities.

Would there be a way to input single characters? like break it down even more? for example first line ^1^ would have every character/letter/number/symbol I think is possible in the password. that would be three characters long, the first part of the password. Then do the same thing for the middle 4 characters, and then again for the last 3 characters. Would this be a huge password list? I don't mind letting it run, it took about 1 or 2 min for 1 million guesses.

Also, it says its using GPU but now I'm not seeing my GPU get maxed out. I'm pretty sure the first time I was doing it I was seeing GPU take up a lot more resources like 80 or 100% usage in task manager.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18515

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 04:18:34 PM

Would there be a way to input single characters?
Absolutely. Just add more lines with the same ^1^ at the start of each entry, changing the 1 to the number of the character position in the password. I would also use the argument %[chars] rather than list every character as its own entry, as it will be much easier for you to write and edit. So for example, if you think the first character might be A, B, C, a, b, or c, then rather than writing this:

Code:
^1^A ^1^B ^1^C ^1^a ^1^b ^1^c

You would just write this:

Code:
^1^%[ABCabc]
b2352351 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 04:48:44 PM

Would there be a way to input single characters?
Absolutely. Just add more lines with the same ^1^ at the start of each entry, changing the 1 to the number of the character position in the password. I would also use the argument %[chars] rather than list every character as its own entry, as it will be much easier for you to write and edit. So for example, if you think the first character might be A, B, C, a, b, or c, then rather than writing this:

Code:
^1^A ^1^B ^1^C ^1^a ^1^b ^1^c

You would just write this:

Code:
^1^%[ABCabc]

Thank you Mr. Wizard
b2352351 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 06:22:33 PM

I'm actually a little confused at this point. I've ran a few variations of the commands you've given me and it seems to be starting with 3 characters and testing that out to 10 characters.

I want it to test only 10 character possibilities, but with every character involved in the 1st position, 2nd and 3rd(last 1/3) last part of the 10 digit character sequence.

Any ideas?
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 06:54:00 PM

Ahh, my bad. Yeah, when you have a list of tokens like this, it will try all possible ways of combining them, including selecting no tokens from a given line. First of all, make sure that you have ^1^ up to ^10^ in front of every token. Then, add --min-tokens 10 to your command in the terminal.
b2352351 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 07:08:13 PM

Ahh, my bad. Yeah, when you have a list of tokens like this, it will try all possible ways of combining them, including selecting no tokens from a given line. First of all, make sure that you have ^1^ up to ^10^ in front of every token. Then, add --min-tokens 10 to your command in the terminal.

Okay now it's guessing ABCXXXXXX

I want it to guess all characters in the first three spaces, combined with all possible characters in the 2nd space, and all possible characters in the 3rd or last part of the password. Brake it down into 3 sections, hopefully this makes sense?

Thanks again for all the help. I really do appreciate it.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 07:36:51 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2022, 08:02:09 PM by o_e_l_e_o

Not really following you. Can you share your tokens file? PM me if you would prefer (and I can provide a PGP key for encryption if you would prefer).
b2352351 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2022, 11:00:01 PM

password format is

xxx1:23xxx

and if there's 20 different characters that could represent xxx, and 50 characters that could represent 1:23, and 20 different characters that could represent the last part, xxx I want to be able to guess 20 characters for each x x x and then 20 possible characters in each middle position of 1:32, and 20 characters for the each of the characters in the last x x x

hopefully this makes a little more sense.. I'm thinking this is going to generate a lot of guesses.. But I am willing to wait.

I do have a moderate GPU but I'm not sure if it's using it correctly. The guesses haven't seemed to slow down, but now in task manager it is not reporting any usage on the GPU while attempting to crack. I'm pretty sure when I first started it stated around 80% usage on the GPU.
PawGo
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2022, 08:27:29 AM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (4)

Do you mean something like that?

Code:
^1^%[ABC...Zabc....z]
^2^%[ABC...Zabc....z]
^3^%[ABC...Zabc....z]
^4^%[0123456789]
^5^%[:!@#;]
^6^%[0123456789]
^7^%[0123456789]
^8^%[ABC...Zabc....z]
^9^%[ABC...Zabc....z]
^10^%[ABC...Zabc....z]

depends what are you "special characters"
And you should fill correctly "a..z" part
b2352351 (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2022, 01:39:27 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2022, 02:32:49 PM by b2352351

Do you mean something like that?

Code:
^1^%[ABC...Zabc....z]
^2^%[ABC...Zabc....z]
^3^%[ABC...Zabc....z]
^4^%[0123456789]
^5^%[:!@#;]
^6^%[0123456789]
^7^%[0123456789]
^8^%[ABC...Zabc....z]
^9^%[ABC...Zabc....z]
^10^%[ABC...Zabc....z]

depends what are you "special characters"
And you should fill correctly "a..z" part

I'm gonna try this in combination with the  --min-tokens 10 command o_e_l_e_o suggested

EDIT: It now looks like it's doing what I was intending! Now I'm still not sure if GPU is being utilized. I think i'm going to brake it down a lot simpler using this method to reduce password list size. I use enablegpu command but task manager shows 0% usage on GPU now.. But it doesn't seemed like it has slowed down.
b2352351 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2022, 12:40:38 PM

I do have a moderate GPU but I'm not sure if it's using it correctly. The guesses haven't seemed to slow down, but now in task manager it is not reporting any usage on the GPU while attempting to crack. I'm pretty sure when I first started it stated around 80% usage on the GPU.

I don't know how accurate is task manager to monitor GPU usage, but it might be because known CPU bottleneck on btcrecover[1-3]. Have you tried different software such as GPU-Z[4] to monitor GPU usage?

[1] https://btcrecover.readthedocs.io/en/latest/GPU_Acceleration/#performance-tuning-background
[2] https://github.com/3rdIteration/btcrecover/issues/184
[3] https://github.com/3rdIteration/btcrecover/issues/119
[4] https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

I actually tried hardware monitor and it's actually reporting a higher percentage and higher temp. I cranked up the fans. I've done 2 or three new password lists and still nothing but I have some more to generate.

I was running one list for 4 hrs at 10k/Ps but it started to eat up like 20gb of ram lol.

I've seen some people using the --global-ws and --local-ws commands when they have larger lists. I'm guessing this helps allocate resources? Can anyone describe how these two commands work and the numbers associated with them? Thanks again everyone.
b2352351 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2022, 07:50:09 PM

Ok I'm running into some issues.. I guess I didn't really understand how the syntax worked, but i'm running some password lists and double checking if certain combos are being spit out but theyre not..

So I've gone ahead and broke it down into the 3 basic parts of the password.

If I have 40 guesses for each third of the password, then how would I write it to test all 40 combinations in each slot against the previous?

example

Password part 1 line 1: possibilities = 123 or 4567 or 8910
Password part 2 line 2: possibilities = 123 or 4567 or 8910
Password part 3 line 3: possibilities = 123 or 4567 or 8910

I want to test every possible combination available on each line

So.. ex.
123 123 123
123 123 4567
123 4567 4567
123 4567 123

But in all reality I have 40 total 3-4 character sequence combinations for each "line" of the password.
PawGo
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2022, 07:59:38 PM

Please see that documentation page, especially part about anchors:
https://btcrecover.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tokenlist_file/

There’s very similar case, where they specify tokens for the end and beginning (and even for the middle)
I guess it would be:
Code:
^1^abc
^1^cde
^2^987
^2^654
Etc.
b2352351 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2022, 08:30:27 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2022, 11:07:30 PM by b2352351

Please see that documentation page, especially part about anchors:
https://btcrecover.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tokenlist_file/

There’s very similar case, where they specify tokens for the end and beginning (and even for the middle)
I guess it would be:
Code:
^1^abc
^1^cde
^2^987
^2^654
Etc.

Ok I'll try this, I had my token list setup where all ^1^'s were on the same line and only had 3 lines but 40 guesses on each line..

edit: I now have 29 lines total ^1^ through ^10^ with 2-5 possibilities for each ^1-10^ notation.

Are you sure this format wont do something funky though? It's not even starting to count or crack after a while. Usually it starts counting right away. Maybe it counts # of password variations with cpu before cracking with gpu? Because listpass does not use gpu, list pass is not counting passwords either - also stuck right before stuff starts to load. The number must be really big, it is taking about 20% cpu right now.

How does --global-ws and --local-ws work? I heard some people use that with larger lists... Wondering if I'll need that. One of my old larger lists was like more than 100 million I think and it almost started taking up 20gb ram after 4 hours so I'm guessing global and local commands prevent that much usage? I can afford to give it 20gb ram but I'm afraid it would have kept climbing at only 4 hrs before I quit the run.
b2352351 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2022, 11:55:15 AM

How does --global-ws and --local-ws work?

You need to learn a bit about OpenCL to understand how those works. One thing i know, it's related with how much btcrecover use GPU VRAM (which also affect brute force speed).

I heard some people use that with larger lists... Wondering if I'll need that. One of my old larger lists was like more than 100 million I think and it almost started taking up 20gb ram after 4 hours so I'm guessing global and local commands prevent that much usage? I can afford to give it 20gb ram but I'm afraid it would have kept climbing at only 4 hrs before I quit the run.

I don't remember about RAM usage, but --global-ws and --local-ws is strongly recommended to improve brute force speed for large list password/token. You'll need to test best number for your device though.

For some reason my most recent word list took forever to launch. It got stuck after the

Code:
*          Security: Warning                *

Wallet Type: btcrpass.WalletBitcoinCore
Wallet difficulty: 40,829 SHA-512 iterations

part. Before it even says "counting passwords" I come back hours later to find it only guessed 24,000 passwords out of 93,000 possibilities. I was zipping through 100k lists in 10 seconds before. I will restart my machine maybe..

Also, for the global and local commands. Do I need to associated numbers with each of those commands? I don't recall reading anything that could actually explain what the numbers were, just that you need to adjust them in tandem.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: