Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:13:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How can you verify the randomness that's coming from a hardware?  (Read 1582 times)
larry_vw_1955

Activity: 1036
Merit: 351

View Profile
November 15, 2022, 03:30:26 AM

That's why I'd prefer to buy a device with open-source hardware.
then why not get the onerng. https://onerng.info/ you got something against it? seem like it checks off all your boxes. i doubt anything else comes close.
That looks very good, indeed! I wasn't aware of it; might even pick one up (even though I don't need a secure RNG right now).
I'd seen it before but i didn't appreciate all that it has to offer at the time. Now i can appreciate it more fully since there's not alot of comparable devices out there. plus the price seems very reasonable. even though i wish it was easier to get as in a domestic shipper inside the usa. apparently it would come from china so overseas shipping. not sure how much that is or how long it takes. but from my experience on ebay, things from china can come pretty fast. for small stuff. maybe you can do a review for us on this thing once you get it.  Grin

If you've never heard of Foundation Devices, you may be interested in my review of their first device; review for the latest generation is going to be posted very very soon, as well in the Hardware Wallet section.
you did an AMAZING job with the review but $299 is way outside of what I consider reasonable no matter how many features it has. it would have to be able to mine bitcoin at a profit to make me even consider it. Angry

I'd like to also mention https://betrusted.io/; they built the fully open-source Precursor so far.
Completely open-source to the very last detail.

a handheld device that costs almost $600. i guess it has its use cases but not for any average crypto user it doesnt.

Your brain won't select those 0s and 1s fully at random. It will unknowingly introduce patterns that decrease the entropy, i.e. how random your randomness really is.

Well that's why I don't rely on that method but anyhow, I got my bingo machine thing working. That, along with maybe dice and flipping a coin is all i ever need.

Quote from: o_e_l_e_o
Another analogy. I'm simply saying that although you might generate a unique string that no one has generated before, it doesn't mean that string is safe or secure.
can you give me an example of such a string that would not be safe that no one has ever generated before? you might be suprised that it's not as easy as you think. but give it a try. i'll be the judge.  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18507

View Profile
November 15, 2022, 08:17:11 AM

Well that's why I don't rely on that method but anyhow, I got my bingo machine thing working. That, along with maybe dice and flipping a coin is all i ever need.
I'm not going to get in to this argument again, but I cannot fathom why you are so hell bent on using untested, biased, and insecure methods of generating entropy when everyone is repeatedly telling you it is a bad idea.

can you give me an example of such a string that would not be safe that no one has ever generated before?
Any string you generate by manually picking 0s and 1s. It might be safe enough that your coins aren't stolen, but it will not have 256 bits of entropy and it will definitely be less safe than a properly generated string.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16565

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2022, 09:28:24 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Get one, write down a B or a W, eat it, get the next one. Repeat until nauseous. It's much faster than flipping a coin, and less boring Cheesy
But of course there probably isn't an even number of blacks and whites in the bag, and with each one you eat you reduce the odds of that color appearing again. So overall a bad system. Wink
When in doubt, you could of course apply the system where BW means B, WB means W, and BB or WW means ignore, but that means you'll have to eat at least 3 times more candy.

You should also put the candies back into the bag
Absolutely Barbaric

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5814

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2022, 03:43:47 PM

If you've never heard of Foundation Devices, you may be interested in my review of their first device; review for the latest generation is going to be posted very very soon, as well in the Hardware Wallet section.
you did an AMAZING job with the review but $299 is way outside of what I consider reasonable no matter how many features it has. it would have to be able to mine bitcoin at a profit to make me even consider it. Angry
I found it too expensive, as well - it was just an example of a fully open-source hardware device.
And nobody even cloned it yet, even though it costs $299 and should be relatively cheap to reproduce! Wink

Get one, write down a B or a W, eat it, get the next one. Repeat until nauseous. It's much faster than flipping a coin, and less boring Cheesy
But of course there probably isn't an even number of blacks and whites in the bag, and with each one you eat you reduce the odds of that color appearing again. So overall a bad system. Wink
When in doubt, you could of course apply the system where BW means B, WB means W, and BB or WW means ignore, but that means you'll have to eat at least 3 times more candy.
Manchester encoding?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
larry_vw_1955

Activity: 1036
Merit: 351

View Profile
November 16, 2022, 05:09:52 AM

I'm not going to get in to this argument again, but I cannot fathom why you are so hell bent on using untested, biased, and insecure methods of generating entropy when everyone is repeatedly telling you it is a bad idea.
i'm not trying to get you into an argument again. but it is not untested since i've tested it. it may or may not have bias but it has significantly more entropy than 256 bits in the first place. so a little bias probably won't do any harm. it is not insecure. remember, i am doing it. you're not doing it. so you don't understand it. you just think you do. your philosophy is somewhat understandable but it does tend to seem to stand in the way of doing something that maybe no one has ever done before. i'd rather do something like that then try and invent a wheel that already existed. i didn't invent everything but i'm putting the pieces of the puzzle together. and that's pretty cool. now i have to get back to my python program that seems to have a bug in it since my generated private key seems a bit too large.  Shocked

Any string you generate by manually picking 0s and 1s. It might be safe enough that your coins aren't stolen, but it will not have 256 bits of entropy and it will definitely be less safe than a properly generated string.
ok cool.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: