Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:35:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adopting cryptocurrency in our travel business?  (Read 421 times)
Richardv (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 08:17:48 AM

We run a vacation rental travel business and accept all manner of mainstream payments: 90% of cards plus PayPal, wire and the very occasional cheque! I estimate that about 12,000 see the payment checkout pages per year at the moment.

We are considering adding a bitcoin solution via an API. From what I can see there are about 1m cryptocurrency users (this is all new to me) and will therefore not be appropriate for 99%+ of our clients. We would promote it, blog it, discuss on Linkedin etc as we do with other elements of our business. I am worried it may confuse the average person.

I'm looking for opinions and ideas and also a simple way of explaining to people that this is also perhaps something they should address for the future. Understanding how it works has taken me quite some time and the economic theory and link to mainstream currencies is still in global discussion

Has anybody got a link to an idiots guide I can plagiarize. Some of our guests still don't have email!

I get the impression that many people are just hoarding coins in the hope of the value going up, rather than trading them or using them for purchases?? Is this true as its means trading/payment in the real world is not the priority for many?

I'd also like to hear everybody's thoughts on adopting a currency online. We can use bitpay api, but as we are really new to this, any thoughts advice, direction is welcome. The only business I could see relevant to our industry of any note is 9flats.com. http://blog.9flats.com/9flats-accepts-payments-with-bitcoins/

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 08:34:34 AM

Sounds like bitpay might be a reasonable option because that would allow you to integrate bitcoin into your existing payment options easily.
Running your own bitcoin payment mechanisms would probably offer more flexibility, but to do it securely and seamlessly requires a bit of technical experience.

I don't know whether adding some bitcoin-related services on top of the rental business is an option for you, something like rental cars or selling tickets for events at vacation destinations. I could imagine that for some hard-core bitcoin users a vacation that can be paid fully or mostly with bitcoins would be attractive. But adding such services probably requires significant organizational changes, so you should only do that if it fits well into your structure.

Onkel Paul

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: