Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:02:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] AGAcoin (currency for the Amiga community and others) - Developers wanted!  (Read 32558 times)
Spekske

Activity: 673
Merit: 506

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2017, 11:42:33 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2017, 03:12:58 AM by Spekske

As a long time Amiga fan I would really love to see this coin get the attention it deserves. If the dev would be so kind to respond in here or hand over ownership I would be more than willing to review the code or have someone review it. It needs to be updated to include better diff retargeting than the current default 1440 blocks. It would also be an idea to change it from POW to POW/POS perhaps. Anyway, feel free to join the discussion here or PM me, Discord address is also included below. If there is no reply from the dev we can always take control as community of course.

Todo list:

* Website (I can host this for free)
* Wallets
* Code changes
* Block explorer

Anything else?

Pool is available at http://coincave.nl
Exchange is available at https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/Exchange/?market=AGA_LTC
Sourcecode https://github.com/sonountaleban/amigacoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mutoid

Activity: 65
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 10:15:59 PM

Those are good ideas. If we change to POS there would have to be a whole new blockchain, am I right? Then we could have an exchange program, new AGA against old AGA and the old ones are burned. Perhaps we could set up a less inflationary coin, 2 billion coins (iirc) is a bit much.
Spekske

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2017, 11:26:08 AM

As a long time Amiga fan I would really love to see this coin get the attention it deserves. If the dev would be so kind to respond in here or hand over ownership I would be more than willing to review the code or have someone review it. It needs to be updated to include better diff retargeting than the current default 1440 blocks. It would also be an idea to change it from POW to POW/POS perhaps. Anyway, feel free to join the discussion here or PM me, Discord address is also included below. If there is no reply from the dev we can always take control as community of course.

Todo list:

* Wallets
* Code changes
* Block explorer

Anything else?

Since there is no reply from the dev I suggest we take over as a community. I am already working on a website which will have all the relevant coininfo plus links to historical and current Amiga information. I have forked the Github repository so I can start looking at the code. If there are any wishes please post them here or contact me on Discord. The work will take a while but it should give this coin the attention it deserves !

Emerger

Activity: 199
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 02:22:41 PM

Todo list:

* Wallets
* Code changes
* Block explorer

Anything else?

Since there is no reply from the dev I suggest we take over as a community. I am already working on a website which will have all the relevant coininfo plus links to historical and current Amiga information. I have forked the Github repository so I can start looking at the code. If there are any wishes please post them here or contact me on Discord. The work will take a while but it should give this coin the attention it deserves !

That's great news! I suggest a few:

* Switching to merge mining with Litecoin, instead of solo scrypt mining (i.e. same as Doge). Solo-mined scrypt is a poor choice for AGA as there are any number of LTC miners that could 51% the chain. I think Merge mining with LTC would help raise awareness (and chain security & reliability) as miners of LTC/Doge can instantly add it to their merge-minined setups for practically no overhead.

* Start an official giveaway program whereby any webstore in the Amiga scene can apply for set amount of AGA in return for adding AGA as a payment option. Also offer smaller amounts to anyone developing/blogging/publishing or working in the Amiga scene. All they need to do is publish their AGA address somewhere and fill in a web form to let the project know. Giveaway should be designed to run for several years not only a few months.

* I'm not an expert but I think someone does have claim to the Amiga trademark and may contest its use if "Amigacoin" grew well known in the Amiga community. Consider re-branding away from "Amigacoin" by using "AGA" instead wherever possible -  to avoid any future problem with the use of the "Amiga" trademark. It would still be thought of as "Amigacoin" hopefully, but use "AGA" as much as possible in the branding.

Spekske

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2017, 03:18:25 PM

Todo list:

* Wallets
* Code changes
* Block explorer

Anything else?

* Switching to merge mining with Litecoin, instead of solo scrypt mining (i.e. same as Doge). Solo-mined scrypt is a poor choice for AGA as there are any number of LTC miners that could 51% the chain. I think Merge mining with LTC would help raise awareness (and chain security & reliability) as miners of LTC/Doge can instantly add it to their merge-minined setups for practically no overhead.

* Start an official giveaway program whereby any webstore in the Amiga scene can apply for set amount of AGA in return for adding AGA as a payment option. Also offer smaller amounts to anyone developing/blogging/publishing or working in the Amiga scene. All they need to do is publish their AGA address somewhere and fill in a web form to let the project know. Giveaway should be designed to run for several years not only a few months.

* I'm not an expert but I think someone does have claim to the Amiga trademark and may contest its use if "Amigacoin" grew well known in the Amiga community. Consider re-branding away from "Amigacoin" by using "AGA" instead wherever possible -  to avoid any future problem with the use of the "Amiga" trademark. It would still be thought of as "Amigacoin" hopefully, but use "AGA" as much as possible in the branding.

* I can test a merged mining setup within a week with a bit of luck, sounds like a good option.
* Giveaway also sounds good, the only practical issue would be that we would need to get the coins from somewhere.
* I agree on the trademark thing, better safe than sorry

Spekske

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 05:11:09 AM

Todo list:

* Wallets
* Code changes
* Block explorer

Anything else?

* I can test a merged mining setup within a week with a bit of luck, sounds like a good option.
* Giveaway also sounds good, the only practical issue would be that we would need to get the coins from somewhere.

I have just sent a PM to the dev which will be the last attempt, if there is no response we can safely assume he has abandoned the project and we will take over from there. I have been looking at merged mining options but I'm not sure that is the way to go. We might want to consider a POW/POS hybrid solution and change algo to Neoscrypt. To avoid any confusion, any changes we decide should NOT influence any coins already in circulation, so no burning of coins or a swap. For now I will start working on a basic website which should be done before the end of 2017. Next step will be adjusting the parameters of the current code so diff adjustment does not take 1440 blocks. After that we will see how we can get AGA moving forward. If you have any thoughts or suggestions please join me on Discord https://discord.gg/7aeVzqZ or visit my miningpool to mine some AGA  Smiley

charlie137

Activity: 1204
Merit: 220

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2017, 05:19:37 AM

that probably would be the only one ppc crypto$ wallet)

/__      ___ (  /    
\\--`-'-|`---\\ |      AXErunners
 |' _/   ` __/ / 
 '._  W    ,--'     
    |_:_._/
sujoys

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2017, 05:51:55 PM

Todo list:

* Wallets
* Code changes
* Block explorer

Anything else?

Great. If so, we will be with you. Thanks.

I have just sent a PM to the dev which will be the last attempt, if there is no response we can safely assume he has abandoned the project and we will take over from there. I have been looking at merged mining options but I'm not sure that is the way to go. We might want to consider a POW/POS hybrid solution and change algo to Neoscrypt. To avoid any confusion, any changes we decide should NOT influence any coins already in circulation, so no burning of coins or a swap. For now I will start working on a basic website which should be done before the end of 2017. Next step will be adjusting the parameters of the current code so diff adjustment does not take 1440 blocks. After that we will see how we can get AGA moving forward. If you have any thoughts or suggestions please join me on Discord https://discord.gg/7aeVzqZ or visit my miningpool to mine some AGA  Smiley

sujoys

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2017, 05:53:03 PM

Sounds great. If so, we all be with you. Thanks.

Mutoid

View Profile
December 26, 2017, 11:53:05 AM

If we go for a whole new chain I suggest we call it Neo-AGA or simply NAGA Smiley Nagas are a breed of mythological snake-people I believe.
Spekske

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2017, 05:07:18 PM

If we go for a whole new chain I suggest we call it Neo-AGA or simply NAGA Smiley Nagas are a breed of mythological snake-people I believe.
A new chain is not an option, that wouldn't be fair to everyone that has mined the coin this far. Any change should keep the existing coins.

Mutoid

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 04:57:29 AM

I agree, I just didn't think it was possible to change algorithms to an already running blockchain. The technical side of these coins are still a bit of a mystery to me.

Indeed, I'd prefer to not "scrap" the already mined coins.
Emerger

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:17:06 AM

Does anyone know, what is the current total coin supply? I have difficulty finding this without a working blockexplorer, and because it is not a statistic offered in the (quite outdated) client.

Mutoid

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 07:27:24 AM

Does anyone know, what is the current total coin supply? I have difficulty finding this without a working blockexplorer, and because it is not a statistic offered in the (quite outdated) client.

It's in the first post of this thread, 2 billion coins total. That's 2000 million.
Emerger

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 07:59:25 AM

It's in the first post of this thread, 2 billion coins total. That's 2000 million.

Sorry, I mean the current supply, as in - how many have been mined to date?

Spekske

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2017, 11:22:30 AM

I agree, I just didn't think it was possible to change algorithms to an already running blockchain. The technical side of these coins are still a bit of a mystery to me.

Indeed, I'd prefer to not "scrap" the already mined coins.

If we take our time to work out the best options for AGA it should be possible, don't want to rush into a solution that is only half finished.

Ok, question to all, we will need a website and a domainname to move this forward. Setting up the website is no problem and I can temporarily host it on a subdomain while working on it, but we need a domainname. As someone suggested we might need to be careful using the Amiga brandname, so I suggest anything that has AGA in it. If anyone has magical skills building a website feel free to jump in, like I said, I can host a page as long as needed.

To answer the question how many coins are already in circulation we will need a blockexplorer, I will see if I can set one up within the next few days so we have an answer Smiley

Emerger

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 05:50:32 PM

Ok, question to all, we will need a website and a domainname to move this forward. Setting up the website is no problem and I can temporarily host it on a subdomain while working on it, but we need a domainname. As someone suggested we might need to be careful using the Amiga brandname, so I suggest anything that has AGA in it. If anyone has magical skills building a website feel free to jump in, like I said, I can host a page as long as needed.

re: website

I'd like to suggest that we maintain the website as a project on GitHub and therefore automatically hosted by https://pages.github.com This way we can assign a domain to it later, but also have https://agacoin.github.io as an initial/fallback URL, with the added advantage that the website is easy for the community to edit and contribute towards.

To show what I mean, I've set up a free "github organization" called "AGAcoin"  (the name can be changed if needed) at https://github.com/AGAcoin with a repository that auto-generates the site https://agacoin.github.io.

Initially, I've chosen a simple theme that uses markdown although any type of static html/css/js website can replace it by editing https://github.com/AGAcoin/AGAcoin.github.io on GitHub.

If we want to use this approach then I suggest that I add whoever needs to have admin rights to https://github.com/AGAcoin, and that we migrate code repositories to it (see gitHub help). Maybe the original dev might even migrate his original repositories, which allows code to be searchable.

For https://agacoin.github.io I've just added whatever info I could find but I guess a lot is outdated and will need revision, especially if there is a new code release.

I don't have a huge amount of time to put toward this project, so I'll leave the decision up to those who do plan on working more on the code. Hosting on your own subdomain could work too but I think doing it this way would provide an easy way for the community to jointly maintain the website and other things going forward. Any thoughts?

Spekske

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2017, 06:20:33 PM

I'd like to suggest that we maintain the website as a project on GitHub and therefore automatically hosted by https://pages.github.com This way we can assign a domain to it later, but also have https://agacoin.github.io as an initial/fallback URL, with the added advantage that the website is easy for the community to edit and contribute towards.

To show what I mean, I've set up a free "github organization" called "AGAcoin"  (the name can be changed if needed) at https://github.com/AGAcoin with a repository that auto-generates the site https://agacoin.github.io.

Initially, I've chosen a simple theme that uses markdown although any type of static html/css/js website can replace it by editing https://github.com/AGAcoin/AGAcoin.github.io on GitHub.

If we want to use this approach then I suggest that I add whoever needs to have admin rights to https://github.com/AGAcoin, and that we migrate code repositories to it (see gitHub help). Maybe the original dev might even migrate his original repositories, which allows code to be searchable.

For https://agacoin.github.io I've just added whatever info I could find but I guess a lot is outdated and will need revision, especially if there is a new code release.

I don't have a huge amount of time to put toward this project, so I'll leave the decision up to those who do plan on working more on the code. Hosting on your own subdomain could work too but I think doing it this way would provide an easy way for the community to jointly maintain the website and other things going forward. Any thoughts?

Wow, that's great! Looking cool with all relevant info. Thanks !!!!!

Mutoid

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 07:14:02 PM

Sorry, I mean the current supply, as in - how many have been mined to date?

Aha, that one is harder since the coins generated each block is randomized. Perhaps they can be tallied somehow...
Mutoid

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 07:17:20 PM

Indeed a great job with such little resources! I couldn't do any better.

While we are waiting for a better block explorer I set up RPC ACE on my node: http://aga.dromland.se
It's slow and ugly and not very useful but better than nothing (I hope).

P.S. I can't code but I have some experience submitting stuff to Github and already have a user there.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: