Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:32:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help and advice regarding recovery  (Read 313 times)
ph1980 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 7

View Profile
July 12, 2022, 10:20:59 AM

Honestly, I don't really fancy your chances... an XP machine that was reformatted to Win7 and then "used" for up to 2 years afterwards? Undecided

Also... that browser based version of PyWallet isn't really suitable for disk/image scanning for wallet files... it was more as a utility for working directly with known wallet.dat files.

If you're trying to scan the disk/image for possible files... you'll need to use the command line version.

Late replying back to this thread, been away with temp illness.

Yeah think you're right tbh. Chances look dead. The PC was used about this long after reformatting before the motherboard/cpu or whatever failed and i never bothered with it again.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ph1980 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 7

View Profile
July 12, 2022, 10:32:09 AM

Honestly, I don't really fancy your chances... an XP machine that was reformatted to Win7 and then "used" for up to 2 years afterwards? Undecided

Particularly if the friend nearly filled up the hard disk with data, or maybe even half of the hard disk. In those cases, the wallet bytes won't even be on the raw image, and you'd have to use some specialized tools to see if you can read the original (unencrypted) bytes.

It was pretty clean not many files, it was used mainly for work accounts/ quotation after formatting but i don't think the existance of any wallet.dat remains - i found and recovered a few long lost photos from the xp data and thats about it. Time to move on, the btc will just have to remain where its been since 09.

Really like to say thanks to everyone who took time to give me some advice and tips to help. cheers
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: