Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:43:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Saving Tip - CPU Core Speed  (Read 6488 times)
ensign_lee

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 01:36:03 PM

Being an AMD product, can CCC do this on Intel CPU's too? I just do it in the BIOS, but it would be nice to do it "on the fly".

CCC doesn't supprt Intel CPUs.My mobo is an Asus model so I can use EPU-6 utility to really reduce my CPU volts and clock speed.It's like a BIOs tweak but within windows :-)

For convenience set it to Auto.I put mine on Medium power savings (as Max power saving switches off my case fans on my PC which are needed to help cool my system down)

Takes some tweaking but it's worth it.I shaved off 35W by using that tool plus a further 10W by enabling Green Ethernet on my NIC (cable is 20m long so energy use adds up) plus 5W from disabling firewire,saved 8W by switching to SSD from system HDD and 13W by removing 2 HDDs and replacing them with 1 2TB eco HDD which uses only 3 watts (instead of using 16W from 80GB and 750GB HDDs like before)

So total energy saved is:71W from all those mods.

Pretty damn impressive for power savings huh.

My CPU is a Core i7 920
6GB RAM (CPU and RAM underclock together to save even more power)

But that then begs the question of why are you paying for an i7 920 if you are going to cripple it so much?

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 04:39:02 PM
Last edit: August 23, 2012, 10:06:15 AM by film2240

Ensign-lee,that is a good question.When I first purchased the Core i7 920 CPU,my needs were different as they were very CPU intensive like film editing certainly was as I was working on large projects and every second counted.That was back in 2009.Fast forward 2 yrs later,my needs have changed to GPGPU use thanks to optimisations in the apps I rely on for film making and editing so the CPU doesn't get used much these days.The CPU is only used (and therefore put in Turbo) when an important app I need isn't GPGPU optimised (due to laziness of the developer not using OpenCL and only using CUDA as I have a radeon)

Funny you saying that,it isn't the CPU that's cripped so much but I can understand why you would think that.A little known fact is that the X58 chipset on socket 1366 mobos (esp mine) can use up to 30W just for the chipset whereas from westmere gen and beyond (mines a nehalem) uses just around 6W which is quite a saving,then of course swapping out HDDs for 1 large one and an SSD plus disabling unneeded ports on my mobo saved the rest.The CPU was only modified a little (lowered 1.6GHZ speedstep down to 1.35GHZ which saved me a lot of power),My mobo has a lot of 'eco' settings onboard so the rest was childsplay for energy savings. :-)

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: