Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:29:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will governments force DEXs to comply with KYC/AML laws?  (Read 159 times)
waybesuricata

Activity: 1778
Merit: 345

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 09:49:19 AM

After the Terra/LUNA incident, governments started to take regulation/KYC/AML issues more seriously. Looking back, I can say that they were right. Although it is contrary to the blockchain structure, I think there should be a control mechanism.

▄▄███▄    ▄███▄▄
     ▄▀▀    █    █    ▀▀▄
    ██    ▄▄▀    ▀▄▄    ██
    ▀▄▄▄█▀▀        ▀▀█▄▄▄▀
  ▄▄█▀█▄              ▄█▀█▄▄
▄█▀     ▀▀█▄     ▄▄█▀▀     ▀█▄
██          ▀█▄▄█▀          ██
▀█▄     ▄▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀▀▄▄▄     ▄█▀
  ▀█▄▄▄▀▀            ▀▀▄▄▄█▀
   █▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▀▀█
   ██  ▀▀▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▀  ██
    ▀▄     █      █     ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▀      ▀▄▄▄▀▀
cogwise
  ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
Hyper-charge your trading with intelligent insights   ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
█████  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▀███████
█████  █████  ██▄▀█████
█████  █▀▀██▄▄▄▄  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████

█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
June 10, 2022, 01:50:17 PM

Arguably, you can say that the underlying of the trading protocol itself is decentralized, but in the altcoins world, I don't think most people really bother to run nodes on their own. And here comes another problem, the third-party node/endpoint/api platforms. Let's say in case the DEX won't comply, well those third-party platforms can manually block or censor, a specific address that is unknown since they operate in a centralized way and surely will comply with the current regulations.
That sucks. I've thought crypto/Blockchain tech was all about decentralization and censorship-resistance. Blocking access to some tokens would make the aforementioned "DEXs" no different than any ordinary centralized exchange. While it's still possible to trade directly via smart contracts, not everyone knows how to do it.

That's the thing. In order to gain censorship resistance for using the platform, users must run their own node and use the DEXs app in their own local environments.

With censorship on the web interface, governments will be able to successfully enforce KYC/AML laws.  That wouldn't had been possible if the interface was hosted on an alternative network that's decentralized by design (eg: Maidsafe, ZeroNet, etc.). Regulations seem to be increasing in the crypto sector, so we haven't seen the worst yet. Who knows what will mainstream governments do next? Just my thoughts Grin
Actually, noting the link I mentioned, if users just run the app on their own or visit via decentralized/IPFS web without directly editing the code, they are still using the censored/restricted/blocked codebase.

So it is necessary, that in the worst case scenario, the interface must be forked in order to remove the code that contains to blocks some specific countries or tokens.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1363

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
June 14, 2022, 01:31:22 AM

That's the thing. In order to gain censorship resistance for using the platform, users must run their own node and use the DEXs app in their own local environments.

Actually, noting the link I mentioned, if users just run the app on their own or visit via decentralized/IPFS web without directly editing the code, they are still using the censored/restricted/blocked codebase.

So it is necessary, that in the worst case scenario, the interface must be forked in order to remove the code that contains to blocks some specific countries or tokens.

Well, people aren't that tech-savvy or knowledgeable about crypto to set up their own node in order to use DEXs freely without restrictions. They will take the easier approach (which is using DEXs directly through third-party APIs) than all the other way around. It's a good thing DEXs are open source, or we would've been toast by now. Expect regulations to increase in order to prevent as much people as possible from gaining access to the world of crypto. The Russia "sanctions evasion", money laundering activities on the Blockchain, and the Terra/LUNA collapse will be the perfect excuse for governments to increase regulatory pressure.

At the core level, people will still get freedom thanks to the decentralized and censorship-resistant nature of crypto/Blockchain tech. But don't expect everything else to be the same (especially centralized exchanges) because of the reasons mentioned before. I have no problem with increasing regulations as long as decentralization wins in the long run. Just my thoughts Grin

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: