Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:23:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Officials investigate disappearance of an estimated 1 billion alaskan snow crabs  (Read 49 times)
Hydrogen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
October 18, 2022, 11:26:08 PM

In a major blow to America's seafood industry, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has, for the first time in state history, canceled the winter snow crab season in the Bering Sea due to their falling numbers. While restaurant menus will suffer, scientists worry what the sudden population plunge means for the health of the Arctic ecosystem.

An estimated one billion crabs have mysteriously disappeared in two years, state officials said. It marks a 90% drop in their population.

"Did they run up north to get that colder water?" asked Gabriel Prout, whose Kodiak Island fishing business relies heavily on the snow crab population. "Did they completely cross the border? Did they walk off the continental shelf on the edge there, over the Bering Sea?"

Ben Daly, a researcher with ADF&G, is investigating where the crabs have gone. He monitors the health of the state's fisheries, which produce 60% of the nation's seafood.

"Disease is one possibility," Daly told CBS News.

He also points to climate change. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Alaska is the fastest warming state in the country, and is losing billions of tons of ice each year — critical for crabs that need cold water to survive.

"Environmental conditions are changing rapidly," Daly said. "We've seen warm conditions in the Bering Sea the last couple of years, and we're seeing a response in a cold adapted species, so it's pretty obvious this is connected. It is a canary in a coal mine for other species that need cold water."

Prout said that there needs to be a relief program for fisherman, similar to programs for farmers who experience crop failure, or communities affected by hurricanes or flooding.

When asked what fishermen can do in this situation, with their livelihoods dependent on the ocean, Prout responded, "Hope and pray. I guess that's the best way to say it."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fishing-alaska-snow-crab-season-canceled-investigation-climate-change/

It sounds like a scene from a hollywood apocalypse movie.

An estimated one billion crabs have mysteriously disappeared in two years, state officials said. It marks a 90% drop in their population.

"Did they run up north to get that colder water?" asked Gabriel Prout, whose Kodiak Island fishing business relies heavily on the snow crab population. "Did they completely cross the border? Did they walk off the continental shelf on the edge there, over the Bering Sea?"

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Alaska is the fastest warming state in the country, and is losing billions of tons of ice each year — critical for crabs that need cold water to survive.

They say on a good day russia is visible from alaska. Should I be glad no one is blaming Putin for this, yet?

While I'm definitely not happy about ecological disasters. My own small part of the world having its own fair share of them.

On a purely abstract level could alaskan snow crabs be considered deflationary. Fishing boats in alaska once "mined" snow crabs. Now their rewards have declined by 90%. Snow crabs are becoming an increasingly scarce resource. I wouldn't be surprised if some crazy person tried to create stablecoins and altcoins to peg HODL alaskan snowcrab deflation.

The adaptation aspect of Darwin's law suggests snowcrabs migrated closer to the north pole for colder water. I think this story will have a happy ending.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Yogee

Activity: 1540
Merit: 412

View Profile
October 18, 2022, 11:52:17 PM

They say on a good day russia is visible from alaska. Should I be glad no one is blaming Putin for this, yet?
I was looking for bitcoin mining as one of the culprits in climate change hehe.

A more detailed write up of the story can be found here https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sustainability/warming-waters-key-culprit-alaska-crab-mass-die-3014246

The article sites the heatwaves that happened in 2018 and 2019 as one of the reasons in the massive decline of snow crabs in the last four years.

I think this story will have a happy ending.
Provided that the water temperatures have returned to normal.

I wouldn't be surprised if they will cancel it again for the 2023-2024 season since it's said that they take a few more years to repopulate and grow to fishing size.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████