Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:49:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AntMiner maintenance  (Read 224 times)
MelG (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2021, 04:26:09 PM

Hello dear miner friends,

I wanted to ask what to expect from Antminer maintenance? On top of my head I have a few questions:

1. What are the parts that break most often and for what reason?
2. Can the breakage be avoided for adding UPS or voltage stabilizer, etc?
3. What is the easiest way to get spare parts and are they expensive?
4. What would you say would be an average lifetime for a miner and can this be extended (does it make sense cost wise) with spare parts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 6359

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
July 12, 2021, 12:34:54 AM
Merited by stompix (1)

It depends on the miner version, the most common would be the chips themselves, there is no exact reason as to why that happens, it just happens, and it happens more often on some gears than the others, it's also common for PSUs to die.

Unless your voltage is out of the specified range labeled on the miner's PSU which is usually (220-240) it makes no sense to add those, or at least, the cost outweighs the benifit.

Buy them online, from places like Alibaba or Zeusbtc, some are cheap some are expensive, but that should be the least of your concern, the question is, will you be able to fix it yourself? if it's just a matter of a dead PSU or a dead fan, anyone can replace those, if it's a bad chip then you will need a lot of skills and tools to fix it.

4. What would you say would be an average lifetime for a miner and can this be extended (does it make sense cost wise) with spare parts?

It depends on the model, Some S9s have been mining non-stop since 2017, some S17s died after 2 months, it all depends on the quality of the miner and pretty much your luck, of course, keeping them clean and cool will at least in theory give them a longer lifespan, but the things you can do to "extend" their lifespan are pretty limited to taking good care of them, there isn't something you can buy and install on them that will magically make them live longer.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
vanessacummings

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2021, 09:58:38 AM

I have faced the same issue and clearly have no idea why it occurs in the first place. Maybe the miner’s version is pretty old. I’ll try to upgrade mine and see it still occurs or not
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
July 26, 2021, 01:29:49 PM

I have faced the same issue and clearly have no idea why it occurs in the first place. Maybe the miner’s version is pretty old. I’ll try to upgrade mine and see it still occurs or not
If you are talking about losing all chips on a board from the 2nd stage DC-DC regulator failing, firmware version is irrelevant. With gear that has been resold, odds are the previous owner(s) over-clocked the hell out of them before reselling them. To put it mildly that is very hard on the miner and drastically shortens the life of hardware that is often not that well built to begin with...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
GFDhd

Activity: 56
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 27, 2022, 03:52:16 AM

Hello dear miner friends,

I wanted to ask what to expect from Antminer maintenance? On top of my head I have a few questions:

What I'm trying to tell you is that the most commonly damaged parts are different for each different miner. The good news is that recently the zeusbtc Youtube channel released an introductory video for "Easily damaged parts of ASIC miner", which I think will solve your problem.
Here is the video channel for wearing parts: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg1kmGkrRa7XRmF02Qln3FpYYXXElgOc7
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: