Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:18:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [privacy] How many Bitcoin chips are out there?  (Read 544 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ChipMixer

Activity: 456
Merit: 956

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1935098

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2022, 11:39:45 PM

Maybe easier for humans who use money because of similar values?)  Smiley

Are you sure?

£1 = 20 shillings (20s).
    1 shilling = 12 pence (12d).
    1 penny = 2 halfpennies and (earlier) 4 farthings (half farthing, a third of a farthing, and quarter farthing coins

1 BTC chip = 20 shilling chips
1 shilling chip = 12 pence chips
1 pence chip = 2 halfpennies chips = 4 farthings chips
may use half and third and quaret farthings if BTC price go up

LoyceV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 16673

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2022, 02:55:16 PM

I understand the 1 2 3 8 16 32 64 numbering.

But it makes you wonder why CM did it. I am sure there are other BTC0.128 chips out there, but I would imaging that there are several orders of magnitude more addresses with BTC0.1

Just for anonymity using more common amounts would be logical. With that in mind @LoyceV how difficult would it be to see how many BTC0.1 BTC0.2 BTC0.5 BTC1.0 and BTC2.0 addresses that meet the criteria.
i.e. I don't care about an address with BTC1 if it got 4 deposits go get there, so the same as how CM would have done it vs their amounts.

I could probably download your data and have one of the programmers I deal with whip something up, but if you have something close to it already it might not be worth it to have them do it.
Well, that's disappointing: I don't know what happened, but my output data isn't exactly the same as I got last time. I replaced some of the values (0.128 turned into 0.1, etc.), so I can't compare all data now. I was hoping to reproduce the same results, but also don't want to dive in deeper so I can't tell what went wrong. The numbers I checked were about 40% higher.
That being said, it's very clear there are much more "chips" with round numbers. I'll run the data again with a more complete data set, but it's going to take a while again.

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6304

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2022, 03:29:55 PM

I understand the 1 2 3 8 16 32 64 numbering.

But it makes you wonder why CM did it. I am sure there are other BTC0.128 chips out there, but I would imaging that there are several orders of magnitude more addresses with BTC0.1

Just for anonymity using more common amounts would be logical. With that in mind @LoyceV how difficult would it be to see how many BTC0.1 BTC0.2 BTC0.5 BTC1.0 and BTC2.0 addresses that meet the criteria.
i.e. I don't care about an address with BTC1 if it got 4 deposits go get there, so the same as how CM would have done it vs their amounts.

I could probably download your data and have one of the programmers I deal with whip something up, but if you have something close to it already it might not be worth it to have them do it.
Well, that's disappointing: I don't know what happened, but my output data isn't exactly the same as I got last time. I replaced some of the values (0.128 turned into 0.1, etc.), so I can't compare all data now. I was hoping to reproduce the same results, but also don't want to dive in deeper so I can't tell what went wrong. The numbers I checked were about 40% higher.
That being said, it's very clear there are much more "chips" with round numbers. I'll run the data again with a more complete data set, but it's going to take a while again.

Debugging software can be fun. :-)
And the things that take hours / days to run before giving an error are even more fun :-)
Or not.....

1 BTC chip = 20 shilling chips
1 shilling chip = 12 pence chips
1 pence chip = 2 halfpennies chips = 4 farthings chips
may use half and third and quaret farthings if BTC price go up

Yes, but just pointing out that at least with things like BTC / crypto in general .01 or .0025 or anything like that just seems to be a bit more what people are expecting then 0.128
Not saying one is better then the other, just at least in my view it is what people are expecting.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
hZti

Activity: 966
Merit: 642

Magic

View Profile
December 12, 2022, 08:11:40 PM

[
I took Blockchair's Bitcoin data, and used the following assumptions:
  • Any address with a deposit of 0.001, 0.002, 0.004, 0.008, 0.016, 0.032, 0.064, 0.128, 0.256, 0.512, 1.024, 2.048, 4.092 or 8.196 BTC can be a chip.

Sorry maybe I miss something here, but I have many addresses with the amounts that you state above and none of them is supposed to be a chip. They can be change addresses or addresses that were used for one specific transaction. I get the data that you show, but as far as I understand the criteria on how a "chip" is recognized is a bit imprecise.[/list]
LoyceV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2022, 08:48:47 PM

I have many addresses with the amounts that you state above and none of them is supposed to be a chip.
That's the beauty of it: anyone can make chips. You can't even know if they came from ChipMixer or not.

ChipMixer

Activity: 456
Merit: 956

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1935098

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2022, 11:51:01 PM

Yes, but just pointing out that at least with things like BTC / crypto in general .01 or .0025 or anything like that just seems to be a bit more what people are expecting then 0.128
When ChipMixer was created 1 mBTC was 1 Pound. You want to mix 60 Pounds - you deposit 60 mBTC. Your largest chip is 32 mBTC. How much is it worth? 32 Pounds.
Can you deposit .0025? How much mBTC is that? 2.5 mBTC? Then you cannot because 0.5 mBTC will be donated.

There are chips called "common chips" sized 250 mBTC, 500 mBTC, 1000 mBTC (1 BTC). You can "commonize" 256 mBTC into 250 mBTC while donating 6 mBTC.

LoyceV (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2022, 10:26:12 AM

And the things that take hours / days to run before giving an error are even more fun :-)
Or not.....
I tried again:
Image loading...
This is the total of all address types. See tmp.loyce.club/chips for the raw data.
People love round numbers Cheesy

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6304

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2022, 03:05:57 PM

Or not.....
I tried again:
Image loading...
This is the total of all address types. See tmp.loyce.club/chips for the raw data.
People love round numbers Cheesy

Yes we do vaguely remember something from when I was back in school about humans being hard wired to deal with it better.

Makes you wonder how many of these .1 .25 ans other round numbers really are collectables. I know I mentioned that I have made a bunch over the years if I did it then I'm sure 100s of other people did too.

Along with all the other cold storage type things that have come out over the years.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀