Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:37:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hide the public keys on wallet.dat files  (Read 373 times)
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 16663

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2022, 12:07:58 PM

Delete your wallet and use file recovery tool for recover wallet file then using wallet every time.
That's the dumbest thing I've read today. You don't throw your wallet in the trash bin at home, do you? With the risk of someone emptying (or overwriting) it?

n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5829

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2022, 11:19:48 PM

Delete your wallet and use file recovery tool for recover wallet file then using wallet every time.
That's the dumbest thing I've read today. You don't throw your wallet in the trash bin at home, do you? With the risk of someone emptying (or overwriting) it?
I hope it's trolling, because it did crack me up! Cheesy
But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, no.

Regarding the topic at hand, in my opinion a wallet.dat should be handled like a seed phrase or private key, i.e. with extreme caution, including no cloud uploads and no transfers without prior AES encryption.
It's easy to do anyway:

Code:
openssl enc -aes-256-cbc -salt -in wallet.dat -out wallet.dat.enc
openssl enc -aes-256-cbc -d -in wallet.dat.enc -out wallet.dat

So whether it includes addresses in plaintext or not, doesn't really matter.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
takuma sato (OP)

Activity: 295
Merit: 425

View Profile
September 20, 2022, 06:37:38 PM

replying to @o_e_l_e_o

If they tell you to decrypt, you'll have to decrypt, or face consequences of not decrypting. This is the problem with full volume encryption. If you use a simple encrypted volume file to put the files in there, they would be able to find it eventually once they check around your stuff since they do dumps of your entire drives. I thought this wasn't happening until i've read people getting stopped randomly on airports and border controls and so on. You can check it out on reddit.

About a safe box. I live in an apartment. There's no space for a proper safe box setup, or at least something strong enough that would resist and couldn't be moved. I've been considering hiring a storage safe thing spot, so im physically diversified too. Of course you would need to trust that no one breaks in there, that the place is well secured, that no employees are able to get in and steal stuff.. I will look at the market for this type of service. Hiring a storage room thing (like the ones seen in the American TV program "Storage Wars") to store an USB pendrive is overkill, so it would need to be a safe. Does anyone here hire such a service?

About hidden volumes, I have read about them quite a bit back then and discarded it because it was not clear to me that it would save your ass in a situation where you would be forced to decrypt. It may trick the computer illiterate thief but vs an informed attacker they may find out you are hiding something. Now knowing that you are hiding something would make it worse. Or perhaps it was a hidden OS inside a hidden volume that has flaws and it's fine for a simple volume. I remember reading about limitations of hidden volumes on Truecrypt mailing list or some site years ago and some claimed it's best to not do it and just claim you forgot the password, but against a 5$ wrench attack by some goons the hidden volume would save you for sure. It's one of those things.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: