Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 04:06:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Solo mine testnet bitcoins with bfgminer, Bitcoin Core, and a CPU/GPU  (Read 1293 times)
Cricktor
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1189

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
June 02, 2024, 11:05:40 AM
Merited by vjudeu (1)

It seems that one or more entities already throw some spare ASICs to mine in Testnet4, hell, for whatever reasons. It takes just one to force others to follow that path and leave everybody else without ASICs behind. Anyway, in a trustless PoW scenario miners can do what they're are able to with their gear, you can't control that. Why wouldn't history of Testnet3 repeat in Testnet4?

Does it make sense to drive difficulty up to levels where only few dare to waste money for energy for a worthless-by-design-and-intention coin like tBTC? I don't think so.

It would be more fun for participants to be able to mine Testnet4 with CPU cycles in a truely decentralized fashion. But that's not gonna work with human mindsets unfortunately. Only if we had an ASIC-resistant hashing algorithm for Testnet4, but then Testnet4 would diverge from Mainnet too much.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 6389

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2024, 12:03:29 PM
Merited by vjudeu (1)

It seems that one or more entities already throw some spare ASICs to mine in Testnet4, hell, for whatever reasons. It takes just one to force others to follow that path and leave everybody else without ASICs behind. Anyway, in a trustless PoW scenario miners can do what they're are able to with their gear, you can't control that. Why wouldn't history of Testnet3 repeat in Testnet4?

Does it make sense to drive difficulty up to levels where only few dare to waste money for energy for a worthless-by-design-and-intention coin like tBTC? I don't think so.

It would be more fun for participants to be able to mine Testnet4 with CPU cycles in a truely decentralized fashion. But that's not gonna work with human mindsets unfortunately. Only if we had an ASIC-resistant hashing algorithm for Testnet4, but then Testnet4 would diverge from Mainnet too much.

Makes you wonder if a very minor change (yeah I know there is no such thing as a minor change) but setting a max difficulty in testnet and known EOL would help.
So yeah mine all you want with whatever ASIC you have as of Jan 1 2025 testnet 4 is going to become testnet 5 and Jan 1 2026 testnet 5 goes away and becomes testnet
And so on.

It's not like the old testnets will stop working just new ones will start.

Not going to happen and there are probably 100s of reasons why it's not a good idea but it's at least a thought.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
vjudeu

Activity: 755
Merit: 1778

View Profile
June 10, 2024, 01:05:23 PM

Why wouldn't history of Testnet3 repeat in Testnet4?
Of course it will repeat on testnet4. But, as I said in another topic, the solution is to improve the code in your Bitcoin Core node, not in your mining equipment. Think about it, and use proper rules, to always work on blocks with minimal difficulty.

Does it make sense to drive difficulty up to levels where only few dare to waste money for energy for a worthless-by-design-and-intention coin like tBTC?
Of course it doesn't make any sense. However, as long as testnet rules are quite close to mainnet ones (in both: testnet3 and testnet4), those coins are doomed to get some value over time. And then, it is all about having enough support for more frequent resets.

It would be more fun for participants to be able to mine Testnet4 with CPU cycles in a truely decentralized fashion.
It is already possible. There are quite frequent block reorgs, but besides that, it works even on testnet3.

setting a max difficulty in testnet
There already is a max difficulty, but nobody reached it yet, even on mainnet. Each hash is just a 256-bit number, and if you create SHA-256 hash of almost all zeroes, then you will reach the max.

and known EOL would help
This one we have as well, currently set into year 2106 or year 2038, depending on Bitcoin Core version (some of them are buggy).

mine all you want with whatever ASIC you have as of Jan 1 2025 testnet 4 is going to become testnet 5
Well, if you reset things more often than every four years, then you have no chance to test any halvings, and then you can permanently set basic block reward into 50 tBTC.

It's not like the old testnets will stop working just new ones will start.
We already have something like that in signet: anyone can just pick a new signet challenge, and it will start a brand new network. And if you pick OP_TRUE, then it is more or less the same as testnet4, but without 20 minute block rule.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████