Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:27:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Old AntMiners in 2022  (Read 489 times)
btc123thatthere

Activity: 131
Merit: 29

View Profile
December 03, 2022, 01:06:23 AM

I dare say that in many situations, an aircon running on heating would be a better heater than an old miner, because of typical COP, eg. using 1000 watts to do the same amount of heating as a 3000w fan heater / oil heater / miner. Not to mention floor space usage / noise.
Eg. a miner that's 96 TH/s, 2400 watts, 1.5% pool fee, would lose about $3.14/day @ $0.15/kwh power cost, compared to a small aircon using say 800 watts to pump 2400 watts running 24/7 would cost about $2.88/day (of course if your aircon never stops running, it's undersized.)

Modest/excess wattage spent on lotto mining sounds good.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6258

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2022, 02:06:58 AM

I dare say that in many situations, an aircon running on heating would be a better heater than an old miner, because of typical COP, eg. using 1000 watts to do the same amount of heating as a 3000w fan heater / oil heater / miner. Not to mention floor space usage / noise.
Eg. a miner that's 96 TH/s, 2400 watts, 1.5% pool fee, would lose about $3.14/day @ $0.15/kwh power cost, compared to a small aircon using say 800 watts to pump 2400 watts running 24/7 would cost about $2.88/day (of course if your aircon never stops running, it's undersized.)

Depends on the use case. I am sitting in the back room of my condo with a 1 board S9 at the moment keeping the temp here above 72f [22c] BUT since I have 1 zone heat I get to keep the rest of the place at 66f [19c] I just have 1 zone heat / aircon for here so although a lot less efficient, it is cheaper to run.

In the bedroom I have a 2 board 400w give or take L3 running on a LTC / Doge lotto pool. So far got a few doge blocks over the last couple of winters. But when I am sleeping I am not heating the rest of the place.

I rotate through old miners depending on what is working and if I have sold any over time.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
paramind22 (OP)

Activity: 2632
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2022, 04:51:45 PM

Depends on the use case. I am sitting in the back room of my condo with a 1 board S9 at the moment keeping the temp here above 72f [22c] BUT since I have 1 zone heat I get to keep the rest of the place at 66f [19c] I just have 1 zone heat / aircon for here so although a lot less efficient, it is cheaper to run.

In the bedroom I have a 2 board 400w give or take L3 running on a LTC / Doge lotto pool. So far got a few doge blocks over the last couple of winters. But when I am sleeping I am not heating the rest of the place.

I rotate through old miners depending on what is working and if I have sold any over time.

-Dave

How much BTC are you making per one week of leaving it on?  What pool do you use?

fennic

Activity: 126
Merit: 39

View Profile
December 07, 2022, 09:03:17 AM

I have some AntMiners S7's and below.  

I have not used them for two years.

I used to use the Bitcoincash guy's site but not sure going to use them again.

Any ideas on good exchanges for older miners?   I'm using them in winter for primarily a heat source.   I figure it will cut down a bit from full price of heat.  
You can use https://Bestbuy.com and also https://Amazon.com to sell this Antminer. Beacsue I think that now Antminer S7 is useless to mine crypto. As you are saying that for heat purpose, I think jester would be better cause it uses so much electricity.
And also if you have cheaper electricity ⚡ than you can use it for heating purpose too.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Bet2Dream ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬  Get Free Bal($) When You Register! Join Now!  ▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬  Referral & Mining Program | Event & Daily Rewards! | Bet2Dream NFT Club! ▬▬▬
paramind22 (OP)

Activity: 2632
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2022, 03:57:03 PM

I have some AntMiners S7's and below.  

I have not used them for two years.

I used to use the Bitcoincash guy's site but not sure going to use them again.

Any ideas on good exchanges for older miners?   I'm using them in winter for primarily a heat source.   I figure it will cut down a bit from full price of heat.  
You can use https://Bestbuy.com and also https://Amazon.com to sell this Antminer. Beacsue I think that now Antminer S7 is useless to mine crypto. As you are saying that for heat purpose, I think jester would be better cause it uses so much electricity.
And also if you have cheaper electricity ⚡ than you can use it for heating purpose too.

People don't seem to have learned that electricity is the same for any electronic device or a heater per amount of heat generated.

The same amount of electricity is used per degree of temperature increase. 

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6258

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2022, 03:26:23 PM

-Dave

How much BTC are you making per one week of leaving it on?  What pool do you use?

It's not on all the time, depending on the outside temperature and a few other things it's on at most 1/3 of the day.
Figure it's generating about $0.30 a week on ViaPool BUT it's not for generating money. It's about spending less money on heat.
300 Watts is 300 Watts I can turn it into heat with a space heater or I can turn the same 300 Watts into heat and a few cents. By the end of the winter I can buy myself a lunch.

With the LTC / Doge lottery pool I would have been better just PPS mining somewhere, but it's not as much'fun'

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀