Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:00:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Futurebit Apollo BTC Custom Linux Install - Node  (Read 475 times)
n0nce (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2022, 09:08:49 PM

Hi N0nce,

I followed the steps you outlined to install bitcoin-cli.  Doesn't appear to have worked, unfortunately.  I am getting the same error after installation in the debug file and when I ran bitcoin-cli echo 'hello world', I got the following:

error: Could not locate RPC credentials. No authentication cookie could be found, and RPC password is not set.  See -rpcpassword and -stdinrpcpass.  Configuration file: (/home/futurebit/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf)

I'm thinking I don't actually have bitcoin-cli installed as when I entered the command sudo install -m 0755 -o root -g root -t /usr/local/bin bin/bitcoin-cli, the command line simply reloaded to the base user and nothing was communicated about installation.
No, no, that all looks good. It just means Bitcoin Core is running as a different user. I get that when running bitcoin-cli as a different user than the actual Bitcoin Core bitcoind daemon.

I seriously hope it isn't the case, but it is possible that on default Futurebit OS, Core runs as root. To verify, try sudo bitcoin-cli getinfo.

If my suspicion holds true, you would need to create RPC credentials like the error message suggests.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btctotoro

Activity: 10
Merit: 4

View Profile
November 16, 2022, 09:15:40 PM

Ran it, here is the result  Sad

error: Could not locate RPC credentials. No authentication cookie could be found, and RPC password is not set.  See -rpcpassword and -stdinrpcpass.  Configuration file: (/root/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf)
n0nce (OP)

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2022, 10:18:51 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2022, 10:32:49 PM by n0nce

Ran it, here is the result  Sad

error: Could not locate RPC credentials. No authentication cookie could be found, and RPC password is not set.  See -rpcpassword and -stdinrpcpass.  Configuration file: (/root/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf)

Here is how to create RPC credentials:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin.git
cd bitcoin
git checkout v23.0
cd share/rpcauth/
python3 rpcauth.py the_username_of_the_user_you_want cleartext_password_unique_long

It will output a hash that you want to store (e.g. in a text file) for the very last step. You can trash that afterwards.

Then delete shell history:
Code:
history -c
history -w

Finally add this line to the Bitcoin configuration file (in your case at /root/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf)
Code:
rpcauth=the_username_of_the_user_you_want:hash_that_you_had_to_store_for_this_step

After these changes, reboot Apollo and cross fingers Cheesy
You should be able to access bitcoin-cli from any user now, as long as you specify -rpcuser=<user> -rpcpassword=<password>.

Lightning will need to know those parameters as well, though.
Add to lightningd.conf and reboot again:
Code:
--bitcoin-rpcuser <user>
--bitcoin-rpcpassword <password>

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀