Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:15:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Managing a medium of exchange  (Read 4318 times)
ToddMarshall (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2011, 01:56:29 PM

I've just begun to look into BitCoin as I'm interested in seeing a change to our current management of our medium of exchange, the dollar.

I didn't have to look very far to sense that BitCoin does not understand the management of an exchange medium.

First: You need to know what the media represents. In a medium of exchange, the media is "promises to complete trades". Thus, new media is created when someone makes a promise and media is extinguished when that promise is kept and the trade is complete. BitCoin seems to have no knowledge of trading.

Second: The manager of the exchange medium is ultimately responsible for broken promises. This is necessary to preserve the integrity of the exchange medium. The manager must observe the relation:

DEFAULT = INTEREST + INFLATION

When someone DEFAULTS on a trading promise, the medium manager must absorb that DEFAULT to maintain INFLATION at zero. From the relation we can see that the manager does this by collecting INTEREST equal to DEFAULTS.

Observation: The failure of BitCoin was obvious when the master of ceremonies of Gavin's presentation commented that he himself had "bought some BitCoins and they had already trippled in value". The media in a properly managed medium of exchange never changes value.

Todd Marshall
Plantersville, TX; USA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stakhanov

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 02:57:40 PM

Bitcoins are not "managed". That's precisely one of the things that make them useful.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 03:04:15 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2011, 01:50:14 PM by barbarousrelic

I've just begun to look into BitCoin as I'm interested in seeing a change to our current management of our medium of exchange, the dollar.

I didn't have to look very far to sense that BitCoin does not understand the management of an exchange medium.

First: You need to know what the media represents. In a medium of exchange, the media is "promises to complete trades". Thus, new media is created when someone makes a promise and media is extinguished when that promise is kept and the trade is complete. BitCoin seems to have no knowledge of trading.

It seems you are conflating 'money' with 'credit'.  A promise to pay is credit. The architecture of Bitcoin does not require credit, although individuals are free to promise each other a future payment in Bitcoin.

Second: The manager of the exchange medium is ultimately responsible for broken promises. This is necessary to preserve the integrity of the exchange medium.

This is not how Bitcoin is set up. If Adam borrows 50 BTC from Bob and promises to return the payment, Adam is the one responsible for repayment, not any manager of the money.
When someone DEFAULTS on a trading promise, the medium manager must absorb that DEFAULT to maintain INFLATION at zero. From the relation we can see that the manager does this by collecting INTEREST equal to DEFAULTS.
Inflation can also be kept at zero by having the lender absorb the default. He accepted this risk when he lent the money.

Observation: The failure of BitCoin was obvious when the master of ceremonies of Gavin's presentation commented that he himself had "bought some BitCoins and they had already trippled in value". The media in a properly managed medium of exchange never changes value.

Todd Marshall
Plantersville, TX; USA
Bitcoin is not actively managed, so call that 'improper' if you wish. While we bicker on here about whether it would be better to have new Bitcoins created for a longer time, or forever, the fact that they are created in a predictable and unmanaged way is perhaps the founding principle of what Bitcoin is about. If you don't like this, Bitcoin is probably not something you're going to want to use.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
deadlizard

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 03:07:30 PM

The media in a properly managed medium of exchange never changes value.
I was going to insult you but it seems a little bit cruel after this statement
kind of like teasing the special kid at school ......  Undecided

Point me to a medium of exchange that has never changed in value and I will eat my hat.

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

db

Activity: 279
Merit: 261

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 04:42:27 PM

Point me to a medium of exchange that has never changed in value and I will eat my hat.

Also, changed in value relative to what? Anything? Then no two things may ever change in value relative to each other.
ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 09:48:17 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2011, 10:03:27 PM by ryepdx

Your failure was obvious when didn't ask "tripled in value in relation to what?" It's nonsensical to say "never changes value," unless you mean "in relation to itself," in which case you're spouting inane tautologies. The value of things are always changing in relation to the medium used to measure value, and in relation to past values as well due to supply and demand. If the dollar falls, for example, everything else rises in value when measured by the dollar; if supply and demand for everything but dollars remains constant for decades and demand for dollars rises, then everything else will fall in value against the dollar.

And allow me to echo everyone else here by saying that the lack of a central manager is one of the great allures of bitcoins for me. The Bitcoin Project aims only to make a readily tradable digital analogue to a commodity. You can build anything on top of that layer if you like, but to build those layers is outside the scope of the Bitcoin Project's vision. Those layers are left as an exercise for the user, so to speak.

The utter wrongness and pomposity of your comment is appalling. I do hope I've misunderstood you.

Edit:
Sorry for stomping on the newbie. Certain things make my brain hurt. I can't be held liable for what I type when my brain hurts, can I?
­­­Atlas_

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 10:23:37 PM

I believe you need to reread on what Bitcoin actually is.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2011, 10:40:24 PM

Who is more likely to be mistaken, some guy that hasn't been studying Bitcoin for very long and came up with some objections off the top of his head or the entire Bitcoin community that has been debating the merits of the system for over a year? I think you should do some more research before making wild accusations.
Anonymous

April 05, 2011, 11:36:48 PM

Oh how the statists and central planning whackjobs rage........

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 11:39:05 PM

Huh

­­­Atlas_

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 11:58:23 PM

Huh

He's just critiquing the man's proposed "solutions" of currency management.
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 03:07:17 AM

Subscribing because I just can't believe I read what I did.

eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 03:27:58 AM

Edit:
Sorry for stomping on the newbie. Certain things make my brain hurt. I can't be held liable for what I type when my brain hurts, can I?
There seems to be a lot of that going around lately.  This is one of the reasons I believe it would be a great idea to have our own stackexchange site, specifically for answering questions in a dedicated environment.  For one thing, it would clearly distinguish the consistent non-stompers for the newbies' benefits.  To anyone who hasn't already subscribed to the proposal, please do that.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 05:57:47 AM

There seems to be a lot of that going around lately.  This is one of the reasons I believe it would be a great idea to have our own stackexchange site, specifically for answering questions in a dedicated environment.  For one thing, it would clearly distinguish the consistent non-stompers for the newbies' benefits.  To anyone who hasn't already subscribed to the proposal, please do that.

Let's make a distinction here. There are brainwashed central banking and debt based economy lovers who come over this forum to "enlighten" us with whatever rationalization of this wretched system they came up with to make it all fit in their head. Those people don't intend to use Bitcoins nor do they understand it. Those you can bash.

Then there are newbies, who have a genuine interest in Bitcoin and are trying to understand it. Those you should be nice to.

eMansipater

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 09:02:40 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2011, 09:34:59 AM by eMansipater

There seems to be a lot of that going around lately.  This is one of the reasons I believe it would be a great idea to have our own stackexchange site, specifically for answering questions in a dedicated environment.  For one thing, it would clearly distinguish the consistent non-stompers for the newbies' benefits.  To anyone who hasn't already subscribed to the proposal, please do that.

Let's make a distinction here. There are brainwashed central banking and debt based economy lovers who come over this forum to "enlighten" us with whatever rationalization of this wretched system they came up with to make it all fit in their head. Those people don't intend to use Bitcoins nor do they understand it. Those you can bash.

Then there are newbies, who have a genuine interest in Bitcoin and are trying to understand it. Those you should be nice to.
Listen goatpig, you can probably count me as a "brainwashed central banking and debt based economy lover" myself--although I don't think existing monetary systems are optimal or sustainable I also think they're a hell of a lot better than nothing (Note what the OP himself says about the dollar in his very first sentence).  But that hasn't stopped me from embracing BitCoin as an incredibly powerful technology once I understood it, and it's also led me to ask very useful questions, in my own language, that have helped me understand it better.  Bitcoin is new, poorly explained, and counter-intuitive.  When it comes to helping newbies, check your idealogy at the door and if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all.  If you've no respect at all for the post, then don't feed the trolls.  Having a different perspective doesn't mean you can't learn to play nice with others--and my guess is most stompers aren't going to be writing a Ph.D explaining why they know what the hell they're talking about instead of just holding opinions anytime soon.  All I'm saying is have a little bit of respect for yourselves people--there's no need to go crazy on someone just to feel self-important.  Patiently and kindly explaining why someone is wrong (if you know!) will go a long, long way.  And if you're not able to do that, get cracking on launching the stack exchange proposal so we can have a newbie safe-zone for people to work at understanding BitCoin in peace.

@ToddMarshall if you're still around I believe there are actually valid answers to your concerns.  A lot of smart people have taken a pretty close look at BitCoin and found that it either solves a different problem than they thought it did, or that it solves the one they thought it didn't in an elegant and unexpected way.  I'll be happy to answer anything that's phrased as a question if that claim makes you curious.  BitCoin is counter-intuitive.  But I've also come to believe that it works, so ask away!

edit: fixed some unnecessary snarkiness myself Embarrassed

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 09:26:35 AM

Ok Mansy!

Considering the first thing you learn about Bitcoin is that it is decentralized, I guess this guy is a troll and I fed him. Mea culpa.

no to the gold cult

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 11:38:13 AM

Second: The manager of the exchange medium is ultimately responsible for broken promises. This is necessary to preserve the integrity of the exchange medium. The manager must observe the relation:

Todd Marshall
Plantersville, TX; USA

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 01:32:16 PM

Be nice, y'all.  Todd emailed me directly and I steered him here because I don't have time to talk about economic theory with everybody who emails me these days.

Todd:  if you were designing a new currency, what would it look like?  Are you imagining a LETS-like system of credit?

Bitcoin is designed to be like a scarce natural resource, which is pretty conservative, really-- scarce natural resources have a long history of being used as currency.  I don't know enough about the alternatives to know whether or not they could work as an Internet currency-- the LETS systems I've heard about all rely on local interactions and trust to keep people from cheating.

PS: I'm going to move this thread to the Economics forum.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2011, 08:32:11 AM

Todd Marshall
Plantersville, TX; USA

Todd,

I think of four uses for money; Store of Value, Medium of Exchange, Unit of Account, and Stabilizing Demand (by governments manipulating the supply of money).

With bitcoin, as you've probably gathered, the amount of bitcoin produced is preset and not subject to “management”. This makes it a desirable store of value. If it ever gets easy to go into and out of bitcoin it becomes a great medium of exchange due to ease of use and anonymity properties.

It's only when you start thinking of bitcoin as the unit of account (salaries and prices) for the wider economy that stabilizing demand through managing the supply of bitcoin is an issue. I think most people interested in bitcoin don’t feel that that is a desirable use of bitcoin. They’re happy the total demand in the economy is something that cannot be nudged up or down by producing or destroying the currency their wealth is stored in.

As has been said elsewhere, bitcoin will probably never be the unit for setting salaries or prices in the real economy. Business loans will not be denominated in bitcoin and interest rates will not be driven by inflation or deflation in bitcoin. So I guess bitcoin will not be the "change in the dollar" that you desire.

On the other hand these forums are a great place for discussing "what if" variations building on the core technologies of bitcoin. What properties do you think bitcoin should have to consider it a replacement for the dollar? Why would it be any better than the dollar if it can be "managed"?
Gluskab

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2011, 01:36:26 PM

*Grunch*

"I knew the failure of the dollar was inevitable once I bought some in 1912 and they had (officially) lost 98% of their value not even 100 years later."
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2011, 02:57:14 PM

Hmmm, was hoping Todd would reply.
Going to follow this to see what happens. I'm hoping he just had some misconceptions.
Talking about managed and bitcoin in the same sentence.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 12:57:52 AM
Last edit: April 10, 2011, 01:11:48 AM by markm

Maybe once you scale up / fast foward management might look less infeasible.

Imagine PolitCoin, an alternate blockchain different only in its initial starter block and the port number it uses and the IRC channel it uses, with all "major" nations and multinationals running full clients backed by mega custom-chip dedicated computing facilities.

Would they even need to operate as a friend to friend network in which only such powerful entities are "allowed" and few but their own intelligence services manage to "sneak into"? Maybe they would outcompute even the largest pools grass root bitcoin-type currencies including the original Bitcoin manage to put together? So much so that who cares if people play "mining" instead of playing national or state / region govt-run lotteries?

Maybe you could end up with about as many actually significant mining facilities as there are currently sovereign nations on Earth, and they could fight wars about how to manage it just like they have historically tended to do about almost any "significant" commodity / store of value / medium of exchange?

Just how hard *is* it for a coalition of superpowers to "manage" bitcoin{|-type currencies} if they choose to devote their military-industrial complexes to doing so?

Which would be harder, setting up inviolate private networks for their mining centers to use for Politcoin, or going with open networks allowing any tom dick or harry who might not even be a sovereign nation nor a multinational worth more than many sovereign nations?

(Part of the point here is that various features of the protocol might be just as handy between "individual nationstates / multinationals" as between actually-individual "individuals"...)

-MarkM-

P.S. I am actually tooling up to pseudo-simulate such ideas at http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/ by equating a "nation or multinational (aka player)"'s block-processing capability to computer technology level multiplied by number of research labs...

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
ffe

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 02:46:26 AM

Just how hard *is* it for a coalition of superpowers to "manage" bitcoin{|-type currencies} if they choose to devote their military-industrial complexes to doing so?

If their military and intelligence communities are involved they would target current bitcoin miners and shut them down as well as introduce their own mining capacity. This becomes easier as mining is handled by fewer and fewer entities on the p2p network.

As miners specialize further and expand they become more vulnerable to rules and regulations targeting bitcoin. A large miner with a big investment will comply with a law that dictates the use of a client that includes this or that special rule the powers that be want to introduce. The law would probably be backed by criminal provisions.
Gluskab

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 03:13:32 AM

If their military and intelligence communities are involved they would target current bitcoin miners and shut them down as well as introduce their own mining capacity. This becomes easier as mining is handled by fewer and fewer entities on the p2p network.

As miners specialize further and expand they become more vulnerable to rules and regulations targeting bitcoin. A large miner with a big investment will comply with a law that dictates the use of a client that includes this or that special rule the powers that be want to introduce. The law would probably be backed by criminal provisions.

I'm fairly new to understanding the exact technical nature of bitcoins, but if that happened then nobody would have to accept his blocks and someone else would just take his place, right?
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 03:52:21 AM

Maybe once you scale up / fast foward management might look less infeasible.

Imagine PolitCoin, an alternate blockchain different only in its initial starter block and the port number it uses and the IRC channel it uses, with all "major" nations and multinationals running full clients backed by mega custom-chip dedicated computing facilities.

Would they even need to operate as a friend to friend network in which only such powerful entities are "allowed" and few but their own intelligence services manage to "sneak into"? Maybe they would outcompute even the largest pools grass root bitcoin-type currencies including the original Bitcoin manage to put together? So much so that who cares if people play "mining" instead of playing national or state / region govt-run lotteries?

Maybe you could end up with about as many actually significant mining facilities as there are currently sovereign nations on Earth, and they could fight wars about how to manage it just like they have historically tended to do about almost any "significant" commodity / store of value / medium of exchange?

Which would be harder, setting up inviolate private networks for their mining centers to use for Politcoin, or going with open networks allowing any tom dick or harry who might not even be a sovereign nation nor a multinational worth more than many sovereign nations?

(Part of the point here is that various features of the protocol might be just as handy between "individual nationstates / multinationals" as between actually-individual "individuals"...)

-MarkM-

P.S. I am actually tooling up to pseudo-simulate such ideas at http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/ by equating a "nation or multinational (aka player)"'s block-processing capability to computer technology level multiplied by number of research labs...

Why would the average person switch to the new coin when bitcoin is already established? The only reason I can come up with is force. Perhaps that's what you meant by "devote their military-industrial complexes to doing so", but if they are going to use force, why bother with the coin? Perhaps to give the illusion of freedom?
ffe

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 04:11:27 AM

I'm fairly new to understanding the exact technical nature of bitcoins, but if that happened then nobody would have to accept his blocks and someone else would just take his place, right?

If they do it to the top n miners and (with the added capacity they can add)  they control 60% of the network capacity then they control the longest block chain and the rules that govern what a valid transaction is.

They would be subtle of course and only change things that would affect a minority so most users would not complain. (For example freezing the assets of a terrorist whose public keys they've identified.)
Gluskab

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 04:21:57 AM

If they do it to the top n miners and (with the added capacity they can add)  they control 60% of the network capacity then they control the longest block chain and the rules that govern what a valid transaction is.

They would be subtle of course and only change things that would affect a minority so most users would not complain. (For example freezing the assets of a terrorist whose public keys they've identified.)

Do you mean, "if you've got nothing to hide, you should never be worried?"

“Attempts to undermine the legitimate currency of this country are simply a unique form of domestic terrorism.  While these forms of anti-government activities do not involve violence, they are every bit as insidious and represent a clear and present danger to the economic stability of this country.  We are determined to meet these threats through infiltration, disruption, and dismantling of organizations which seek to challenge the legitimacy of our democratic form of government.”
ffe

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 04:24:15 AM

Do you mean, "if you've got nothing to hide, you should never be worried?"

“Attempts to undermine the legitimate currency of this country are simply a unique form of domestic terrorism.  While these forms of anti-government activities do not involve violence, they are every bit as insidious and represent a clear and present danger to the economic stability of this country.  We are determined to meet these threats through infiltration, disruption, and dismantling of organizations which seek to challenge the legitimacy of our democratic form of government.”

Yeah. What he said!!
eMansipater

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 04:28:54 AM

Roll Eyes You americans always think everything is about you.  Why an international project on the internet would be considered an attack on american currency is beyond me.

Gluskab

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 04:31:23 AM

Roll Eyes You americans always think everything is about you.  Why an international project on the internet would be considered an attack on american currency is beyond me.

You could have said the same about a sovereign nation trying to sell oil in euros instead of dollars; that doesn't mean the US gov't won't stick its nose in and look for scapegoats anytime something goes wrong.  The same can be said for any other gov't, but the US gov't just tends to be most 'vocal' about it.
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 04:34:29 AM

You americans always think everything is about you.

That's ignorant and prejudiced.
deadlizard

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 05:04:47 AM

You americans always think everything is about you.

That's ignorant and prejudiced.
and true

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 05:09:00 AM

Roll Eyes You americans always think everything is about you.

It usually is, in my experience.

Why an international project on the internet would be considered an attack on american currency is beyond me.

For starters, because the US $ is the international reserve currency by both treaty and defacto results of the second world war.  And because Satoshi has personally made allusions to this intent, not the smallest of which is encoded permanently into the genesis block.

Take a look for yourself.  Just because Americans always assume that everything is about them doesn't logicly lead to the conclusion that they are generally wrong.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 06:59:25 AM

Re 777's "Why would the average person switch to the new coin when bitcoin is already established? The only reason I can come up with is force. Perhaps that's what you meant by "devote their military-industrial complexes to doing so", but if they are going to use force, why bother with the coin? Perhaps to give the illusion of freedom?"...

Oh sorry, did I say Politcoin? Silly me, I meant, of course, Federal Reserve Bits...

-MarkM- (New? Nonsense! Federal Reserve Bits have always been good, whether printed on paper or encoded in a blockchain! Wink)

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 05:47:33 PM

You honestly think the US government won't consider it an attack on their currency if it hurts it? They're going to use the Child Porn, Terrorist, Drug Dealer and Money Launderer labels too.

Can Bitcoin survive an outright attack on the US? Sort of.

What if the US says "Anyone with Bitcoin connections is a terrorist" and freezes all their bank accounts.
They already did that with Hwalla after 9/11 and it wouldn't surprise me at all.
All the legitimate world partners would most likely abandon bitcoin.

Honestly I'd love to see how it happens if Bitcoin is big enough, if it happened too early it wouldn't be nearly as exciting.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
QuantPlus

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 06:37:20 PM

What if the US says "Anyone with Bitcoin connections is a terrorist" and freezes all their bank accounts.
They already did that with Hwalla after 9/11 and it wouldn't surprise me at all.
All the legitimate world partners would most likely abandon bitcoin.

BitCoin could be rendered de facto illegal in the USA...
By one senator slipping in one paragraph into a 5,000 page bill...
In the dead of night before the Christmas Holidays.

That's how online poker became de facto illegal in America.

BitCoin is probably technically illegal in Russia, etc...
Places where virtually all enterprise-grade encryption is illegal.

But virtual, decentralized, crypto currencies are a Game Changer...
You can expect to see a Global Shadow Economy spring up...
Centered on MANY such crypto-currencies that will be easily convertible...
Because there will be Market Makers...
Some will come, so will go... but THIS IDEA is here to stay.

Todd, are you OK?
eMansipater

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2011, 08:48:06 PM

Todd kind of got all jumped on.  I don't know if he'll be back.

For the rest of you, if a rolling eyes smiley face can't introduce some jocularity the whole internet is in trouble Wink  Let's try again.

Roll Eyes You americans have no sense of humour about yourselves.  Always so serious Undecided .

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 04:54:10 AM

Roll Eyes You americans have no sense of humour about yourselves.  Always so serious Undecided .

What can I say?  This is serious business.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: