Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:28:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to actually mine Bitcoin (SHA256) on modern GPUs  (Read 667 times)
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 7463

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
January 08, 2023, 09:58:26 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

The only real reason this would still be used is for fun or if you have somehow access to a botnet or malware and can run this for free on the victims computer. But even then it is not really profitable and also very illegal for just a small profit. Still nice that it can be done, since CPU mining is the form of mining that satoshi Nakamoto intended for bitcoin. As far as I know he never really though about asics.

Even those who create malware/botnet would mine different coin (usually Monero) which could be mined with CPU at profit.

Imagine if someone re-wrote older code or created new code for a GPU / CPU miner program that was able to improve the efficiency drastically of GPU's/ CPU's to compete with smaller Asics. Then what would you say?

Impossible? I don't believe so. Does such code exist currently? No...  But one doesn't know for certain what the future will bring.

If it's truly possible, Intel would rather optimize source code of their dedicated GPU[1] driver and modify existing open source SHA-256 mining software rather than creating ASIC[2].

[1] https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/discrete-gpus/arc.html
[2] https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/blockchain/custom-asic-product-brief.html

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████