Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:08:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The kind of hard disk to keep your bitcoin blockchain data on Laptop  (Read 294 times)
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1970

View Profile
December 03, 2022, 02:54:23 AM

I bought my desktop SSD on 08.03.2018 according to the invoice in my email, HDD Sentinel says 1689 days and 15 hours of power on time, so, you can safely put 5 years minimum there.
Great 5 years is enough, I just upgrade my laptop into M.2 NVME SSD and Ram from 8 to 16 GB, I don't use that NVME for blockchain but for OS.
After I tried, that look something different when download blockchain, maybe because of Ram, and I upgrade dbcache into 4096 Mib. So what  else should be I do to improve performance?

I was once a victim, I stored a private key with JSON file on an SSD that follows my OEM gaming PC from abroad two years ago, I reconnect the SSD to my new PC in January of this year and it isn't working, after few trials the SSD forcefully worked but EMPTY.
it is deeply regretted you lost the private key, how could this happen?, how you keep the SSD?, is in a damp cupboard?

Everything with SSD's is variable - I had one die after a week once, I've had some last years, others last a few months.

The real key with SSD's is to not buy the cheapo ones. Tongue

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████