Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:53:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20.00 BTC Lost to some sort of VOID?! HELP!!!  (Read 1728 times)
Xochipilli (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 04:22:00 PM

Honestly I'd just like the ability to purchase the items I'd originally intended ASAP and not have my money trapped in purgatory anymore...!  Huh Undecided

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/848/screenshot20110405at124r.png

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/6212/screenshot20110405at124.png

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 04:25:15 PM

You don't have the entire block chain downloaded. You generated a block that will never be accepted, and you didn't purchase anything.
Xochipilli (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 04:34:06 PM

I know I didn't purchase anything... Of course I didn't: I'd have to have a balance showing in my client in the first place to even consider that.

My main concern right now is getting the 20.00 BTC that is trapped in said block chain. MULTIPLE client restarts have slowly increased the block count, but only in small, incremental factors and I'd be here until 3 fucking AM restarting the damn thing if I wanted it to finish that way...

There's NO GOOD reason for this to be happening... The transaction record at blockexplorer.com shows it as received.
Xochipilli (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 05:04:09 PM

Here are instructions I found for re-downloading the blockchain:

* close the Bitcoin client
 * in Finder, open Library/Application Support/Bitcoin inside your home
 directory
 * copy the file wallet.dat to a safe place (don't move it, just copy
 it)
 * delete all other files in this directory (NOT wallet.dat)
 * restart the Bitcoin client

The client will show 0 blocks and will start downloading the blockchain
again.  Once your block count matches the one at bitcionwatch.com your
coins will appear in the balance.

I followed these instructions, still no success. I'm beginning to become very exasperated at the idea that bitcoin has LOST this $13 US of my money forever.

If anyone has a clue how I can recover it, please let me know...  Undecided
randomguy7

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 05:21:19 PM

I've no freaking clue what you're talking about. What 20 BTC? Maybe you could explain in detail what you did and what happend.
Xochipilli (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 05:37:11 PM

I've no freaking clue what you're talking about. What 20 BTC? Maybe you could explain in detail what you did and what happend.

I thought that's precisely what I just did...?

Fuck ME....
Xochipilli (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 05:39:30 PM

Exactly which part did I not explain in sufficient detail...?

I used coinpal to add what i thought would be 20 BTC to my wallet, but somehow the client must have disconnected during the initial blockchain download, and now it can't re-initiate. My (similarly baffled) merchant provided me with some instructions, which I quoted above before noting that they were ineffective.

Which part are you having difficulties with?
deadlizard

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 05:56:55 PM

Exactly which part did I not explain in sufficient detail...?

I used coinpal to add what i thought would be 20 BTC to my wallet, but somehow the client must have disconnected during the initial blockchain download, and now it can't re-initiate. My (similarly baffled) merchant provided me with some instructions, which I quoted above before noting that they were ineffective.

Which part are you having difficulties with?
I know you're agitated but that is the first mention of a coinpal transaction in this thread.
I tried to buy 10 bitcoins a few hours ago and they don't even have that so how long has it been in limbo
Honestly you should have waited for the block chain download and then used bitcoin faucet to test the system first.
Hindsight is always 20/20 right.
Your best bet is to turn port forwarding on in your router (3 connections isn't good) and wait for the blockchain to download
I hope it all works out for you.

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

randomguy7

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 06:31:05 PM

You forgot to tell that you bought 20 BTC at coinpal, there only were "some 20 BTC from somewhere" disappearing. Of course it makes sense now, at least your description, not the bug, that one is weird.
Sedo

Activity: 23

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 07:15:34 PM

Im not an expert myself, but if I was you, I would copy and save the "wallet.dat" from your bitcoin folder.
Then close the client and uninstall/delete bitcoin.

If you know how its done, open incoming port 8333 (TCP) for better connectivity.

Then re-download the newest version, install, and before executing, insert the "wallet.dat" (copied before) into the fresh installation.
Execute bitcoin, and wait until it has downloaded the complete blockchain ( more than 116900 Blocks).
Depending on connectivity and bandwith this can take several hours.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 07:46:13 PM

Right - your coins are available, just hold on to your wallet.dat

You don't have the block chain - that's the problem. Your client can only see the first couple blocks that ever existed, not the new ones that reference the coins that were sent to you.

Once you have the entire block chain you will have access to your coins, don't worry.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 10:05:23 PM

Well, as a temporary way to catch up, you can download the most recent nightly copy of the block-chain here:
http://bitcoin.bluematt.me/bitcoin-nightly/blockchain-nightly/

However, this will not check the validity of the blocks, so you'll have to trust that these are valid. Also, you'll then want to restart you client with the -rescan flag so that it finds the transaction (assuming the nightly mirror you download is more recent than the transaction).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: