Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:39:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain-based torrent tracker?  (Read 4736 times)
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 12:49:31 PM

That is quite short- magnet links for example, for movies at popular torrent sites however are many times longer then that. I'd post here an example except for obvious reasons. :-)
As I test I found a long magnet link from a movie site. I took just the hash from that link (the string of hex digits after '?xt=urn:btih:') and searched for that in the DHT network via btdigg.org. This pulled up the correct file information, including a shorter magnet link (without the 'tr' tracker links). This seems to imply that just requiring the hash is fine. I did the same for searching for the archlinux iso (hash e940a7a57294e4c98f62514b32611e38181b6cae) and it came up.

This does seem to indicate however that namecoin isn't needed for storing information since the DHT already has it. Maybe the namecoin provides the "unique identity that can be followed to provide files I'm interested in" aspect.

I didn't know about BTdigg, indeed that sounds like the've already solved the question we were asking. Although perhaps the namecoin blockchain- being merge mined with Bitcoin is more robust?

more or less retired.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dego

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 01:27:35 PM

There are some other threads/links about this subject, please check out:

http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=613
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=127980.0

rgds
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 02:10:16 PM

I've created a "btm/testing" name for testing. It should show in about block 93985 where you can see it the magnet links it has posted with:
Code:
namecoind name_history btm/testing

You can list the "btm/" namespace with:
Code:
namecoind name_filter "^btm/.+"
hehe I got it.

You have set up something like a youtube channel.

Now there needs to be a website that scans that namespace, does a name history on the names, and provides it in a pretty format.

a website? I thought the whole point was doing it without a website. what about a beautiful command line tool? or a simple gui app?

That is quite short- magnet links for example, for movies at popular torrent sites however are many times longer then that. I'd post here an example except for obvious reasons. :-)
As I test I found a long magnet link from a movie site. I took just the hash from that link (the string of hex digits after '?xt=urn:btih:') and searched for that in the DHT network via btdigg.org. This pulled up the correct file information, including a shorter magnet link (without the 'tr' tracker links). This seems to imply that just requiring the hash is fine. I did the same for searching for the archlinux iso (hash e940a7a57294e4c98f62514b32611e38181b6cae) and it came up.

This does seem to indicate however that namecoin isn't needed for storing information since the DHT already has it. Maybe the namecoin provides the "unique identity that can be followed to provide files I'm interested in" aspect.

I didn't know about BTdigg, indeed that sounds like the've already solved the question we were asking. Although perhaps the namecoin blockchain- being merge mined with Bitcoin is more robust?

saw this for the first time, too. also there are other websites that do store plenty of illegal stuff and somehow manage to stay online.

one advantage I see with this besides being totally nerdy is that you can build some reputation for your "channel".

BitcoinSuite

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 05:12:06 PM

Isn't this the kind of thing namecoin should work well for?

-MarkM-

Given that the blockchain is compatible with btc it is not a question which one could but which one should. Great idea if you ask me but I can see a lot of hate coming from purists vetoing use of btc blockchain for storage - makes sense. With that in mind it'd be really cool to see someone try this with namecoin chain or testnet.
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 11:04:39 PM

a website? I thought the whole point was doing it without a website. what about a beautiful command line tool? or a simple gui app?
Yeah, command line tool/gui would be good. A website with a read only view would be good for initial uptake though for those not wanting to install namecoin just to see what it's all about.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:53:33 AM
Last edit: February 01, 2013, 06:12:50 AM by marcus_of_augustus

Namecoin can provide the unique ID look-up to the DHT and the sendtoname facilities that are the most crucial and subject to censhorship ...

this is a great idea and application for namecoin btw.

Edit: also suggest use general namespace id "fs" (fileshare)
e.g.
Code:
namecoind name_new fs/somecoolmovie

Code:
namecoind name_firstupdate fs/somecoolmovie <txid-rand> '<json-value>' 

and etc.

doublec
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 06:16:43 AM

Code:

Code:
The problem with using the filename/title as the namecoin key is people will squat them, or set them to fake values.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 07:10:24 AM

Code:

Code:
The problem with using the filename/title as the namecoin key is people will squat them, or set them to fake values.

Hmm, yeah you're right about that ... so maybe have the user put there PseudoNym in the name field so it can gain trusted-rep for posting authentic links and have one of the fields in value describe the file content in human-recognizable, searchable form?

Code:
namecoind name_new fs/filesharedude

Code:
namecoind name_firstupdate fs/filesharedude <txid-rand> '{.... "vd": "some_cool_video" ... "ad":"some_cool_audio" ...}' 

(plus map to hash value/link)

Each Nym could have however many links fit into allowed data size (and historic linkages using name_history), and Nyms get reputation rating with upvoting via namecoin sendtoname function. Any user could command control if as many reputable Nyms they like.

doublec
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 09:48:50 AM

Each Nym could have however many links fit into allowed data size (and historic linkages using name_history), and Nyms get reputation rating with upvoting via namecoin sendtoname function. Any user could command control if as many reputable Nyms they like.
Right, that's the approach I've been suggesting. I think it should work.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 03:46:06 PM

combine with this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=140473.msg1495784#msg1495784  and you have a decentralized facebook kind of thing
danilaplee

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2023, 03:49:16 PM

So I have built one, I'am using couchbase p2p to distribute an encrypted nosql database that can be shared even over bluetooth and all torrent files are stored in the couchbase attachments so its not even magnet link based but you can distribute those essential torrent files. The webtorrent protocol is used to scale to platforms such as ios and web where no torrent client is available as of yet.

join me at starpy dot me
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: