Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 05:55:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1SPLiTKEY is a solution to prevent creators from sweeping physical collectibles  (Read 389 times)
Kialara

Activity: 549
Merit: 788

View Profile
January 23, 2023, 06:00:36 AM

Technically, if there’s only one private key that exists, and it sits under a hologram of a coin that you own, then the key is yours and yours alone - unlike an exchange that actually holds your btc for you.

Unfortunately there’s no way to know this with certainty, so the sentiment here is correct.

The tides are surely shifting in this space, and I’m interested in seeing how it all plays out.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 16960

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2023, 10:08:18 AM

One more thing: you rely on A and B not keeping and later combining those private key parts.
You're right. I didn't mention it because I thought it's obvious, and unavoidable. Funded collectibles are just not compatible with "verify, don't trust".
That would require destroying the hologram?
Or the designer keeping the partials.
Person A makes one part, Person B makes the other part. They don't know each other's data, make the collectible coins, and sell them. Everyone's happy!
8 years later, Person A meets Person B again and start talking. Person A just got divorced and lost his house. B has gambling debts. They start talking about "what if...." and it turns out both kept a backup. They join forces and empty all collectibles they ever created.
There is no way to avoid this other than trusting both A and B. Or better: you can avoid it, by not trusting any of them.

My question is does your system keep/store any data?
The answer to this question doesn't really matter: you can't verify it. A honest person would say "no", but so would a scammer.

Being closed source, there is no way to validate what it does - so thst requires us to trust you and trust the creator.
Open source software doesn't help either: you still need to trust a person.

Technically, if there’s only one private key that exists, and it sits under a hologram of a coin that you own, then the key is yours and yours alone - unlike an exchange that actually holds your btc for you.

Unfortunately there’s no way to know this with certainty, so the sentiment here is correct.
Let's call it Schrödinger's key: it may be yours, but at the same time you may have nothing or someone else may have it too. You can't know for sure until you open the box.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: