Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:03:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I need to get to the bottom of this myself  (Read 290 times)
pawanjain

Activity: 2688
Merit: 715

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
April 19, 2023, 04:37:24 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, are developers or tech experts the only ones that can detect if a crypto wallet is simply fully open source or not? Can a random human who knows too less about a crypto wallet detect if it's open source or closed source? If yes please share me a way, I am tired of people saying a wallet is open source and some other are arguing that it's closed source, I need to get things done myself.

What and what to deep dive into to real if the wallet is open source? Or there is something else I need to learn first.

If the wallet is open source then it would be hosted on public repositories.
There might be many contributors as well if its in development stage.
Some companies do create softwares and then make it open source.

Closed source softwares will not be completely available to the public users.
There will be some kind of restriction implied on the software.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
doomloop

Activity: 2296
Merit: 581

View Profile
April 19, 2023, 05:06:31 PM

Sometimes, under download sectino, website put the Github code of their open-source code. Easy way to check whether a program is open-source or not, is to check their license. Another method is to just google: Is [programname] open source? If answer is yes, then look for their source code. By the way, if you don't trust their executable file and only want to run what you see, then learn how to run from source. Electrum, for example, comes with a tutorial.

By the way, name the wallet you want to know if that's open-source or not, we will help.
I'm pretty sure that he would have shared the name of the wallet within the opening post if he really wanted to, but since he didn't do that, he probably didn't want to disclose that information publicly for any reason that he might have. Also, I didn't understand your reference about checking the license of the software to know if it's open-source or not.

I also don't think that one needs to first Google if a wallet or any program or project is open-source or not, all they need to check is their website and to try and find their repository which contains the source code. If one understands a bit of coding and can identify if they have their source code open to the public, they can identify whether the project is open-source or not.

Synchronice

Activity: 868
Merit: 787

Watch Bitcoin Documentary - https://t.ly/v0Nim

View Profile
April 20, 2023, 12:12:52 PM

I'm pretty sure that he would have shared the name of the wallet within the opening post if he really wanted to, but since he didn't do that, he probably didn't want to disclose that information publicly for any reason that he might have. Also, I didn't understand your reference about checking the license of the software to know if it's open-source or not.
What's the point of disclosing that information? Am I in danger if I publicly state that I use Bitcoin Core or Electrum? That makes no sense.
If software comes with General Public License or MIT license, for example, this means that the software is open-source.

Sometimes, under download sectino, website put the Github code of their open-source code. Easy way to check whether a program is open-source or not, is to check their license. Another method is to just google: Is [programname] open source? If answer is yes, then look for their source code. By the way, if you don't trust their executable file and only want to run what you see, then learn how to run from source. Electrum, for example, comes with a tutorial.

By the way, name the wallet you want to know if that's open-source or not, we will help.
I also don't think that one needs to first Google if a wallet or any program or project is open-source or not, all they need to check is their website and to try and find their repository which contains the source code. If one understands a bit of coding and can identify if they have their source code open to the public, they can identify whether the project is open-source or not.
I have never said that one needs to first Google if wallet is an open-source or not. First step, according to my quote, is to check it software's website if they include GitHub url.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀