Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:30:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Metamask - new feature that detects scams  (Read 422 times)
Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1334

View Profile
April 15, 2023, 03:51:55 AM

I wonder why a dapps don't have a signature that we can try to verify if the site is legit or not, just like in Bitcoin non custodial wallet. This can prevent any people to not get scammed, as long as the site doesn't get hacked. Many altcoins project mostly ask the user to trust the project rather than giving a choice to the user to prove if it's legit or not. I think it's not that hard to implemented since we can also sign a message from ETH address.
First of all, there are so many websites and projects that want to steal your money, even if it's not a rugpull, even if they make a legit website, eventually we all know that it will end and it will not exists any longer. I personally know that it's going to hurt a lot of people and it should not really be a big deal.

I personally think that if you are investing into something that you are not certain about the website, you are already making a mistake and you should avoid that. Tons of people do that, they are looking at brand new stuff and end up losing money because they fall for the trap. These days most project devs just want to make money for themselves and not really see the project success as a priority.
Thousands upon thousands of coins have been released on this market over the years and besides bitcoin which coin was released without any premine or sale of coins for an overpriced price? Personally I am not aware of a single coin which did this, maybe this happened on the early days when the first altcoins were released, but since then the people behind those coins have cared about nothing else but the money they can earn out of the naive investors which decide to give them their money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LastKiss

Activity: 2156
Merit: 251

Binance #Smart World Global Token

View Profile
April 15, 2023, 05:43:26 AM

Few days ago Metamask announced development of new feature with the help of Opensea and Blockaid in order to help people not connect their wallets to known scams and lose all of their money that way. I am sure that people will still lose money this way, but I think that this feature will help to some degree. 
~snip~

This can be nice if the feature goes live since many of our friends lose their money causing many scammers to use a fake website to get their target wallet. I hope this can available globally and for many devices and we also need to increase our awareness from the fake website don't let something bad happen twice with our metamask wallet.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

Grim_Fandango (OP)

Activity: 82
Merit: 46

View Profile
April 15, 2023, 07:07:42 AM
Last edit: April 15, 2023, 07:20:15 AM by Grim_Fandango

This can be nice if the feature goes live since many of our friends lose their money causing many scammers to use a fake website to get their target wallet. I hope this can available globally and for many devices and we also need to increase our awareness from the fake website don't let something bad happen twice with our metamask wallet.

This feature is already live but it will help only for known scams so if you connect Metamask to unknown scam that hasnt been reported before by anyone, you wont get any warning message and you might end up getting scammed.

There is no feature that is 100% bulletproof so you should always be very careful where you connect your wallet.
Cling18

Activity: 1708
Merit: 126

View Profile
April 15, 2023, 04:39:29 PM

This feature is already live but it will help only for known scams so if you connect Metamask to unknown scam that hasnt been reported before by anyone, you wont get any warning message and you might end up getting scammed.

There is no feature that is 100% bulletproof so you should always be very careful where you connect your wallet.

If that's the case then there's still a chance for scammers to attack Metamask users because they can easily create new sites once their scam sites have been reported. There were already lots of phishing activities on Metamask and to make it 100% safer for us, we should be the ones to avoid phishing sites by being wise and observant before clicking. However, their added feature is somehow helpful to lessen the number of scams on the site but we should also be responsible to do our part.
Apocollapse

Activity: 966
Merit: 755

View Profile
April 18, 2023, 02:36:57 PM

First of all, there are so many websites and projects that want to steal your money, even if it's not a rugpull, even if they make a legit website, eventually we all know that it will end and it will not exists any longer. I personally know that it's going to hurt a lot of people and it should not really be a big deal.

I personally think that if you are investing into something that you are not certain about the website, you are already making a mistake and you should avoid that.
If you say like this, it's mean Bitcoin isn't trusted and this forum also not trusted too because these projects will end Cheesy

I don't think it's not a big deal when you have invested your money on there, it's not about the amount you have invested, but it's about the trustworthy the project is. I still think there are few legit projects which really focus about the real use case than the making money purpose.

Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1334

View Profile
April 19, 2023, 03:28:58 AM

It is not perfect but it is better than nothing, after all there are many people which do not take the time to look into the most recent scams and they can lose their money against a known scam which was outed months ago, so it has its uses, however as the majority of us knows already the best and the last line of defense are ourselves, unfortunately there are some people out there which do not take this role seriously and that is why they get scammed so often.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: