Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:47:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We shall separate commercial exchanges from investment exchanges  (Read 343 times)
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 15, 2023, 10:27:41 PM

I usually use the first kind of exchanges, to be honest, as I don't need to store money on any centralized services and only transfer it when selling for fiat. There are still some risks here, as you can't be sure the exchange will follow through on their part, so some regulations are needed. But I agree with the op that the regulations should be harsher for those exchanges that hold the money of their clients, might use it for their own purposes (like FTX), and offer more services.
I think the names in the original post are a bit confusing, though, which is probably why many people won't get the difference right. I think I got it right, but only because I have experience with both types of platforms.

Yes, commercial exchanges, or simple swap shops. Investment exchanges or cryptocurrencies portfolio managers.
I wasn't sure what were the most correct words, but I hope everybody understood what I meant now.

There's no doubt regulations are coming, there already there in many countries, but regulators shall make the difference which I made. some easy KYC shall be all that's needed for swap shops, but big companies like Binance shall be much more tightly regulated.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gunhell16

Activity: 1694
Merit: 476

View Profile
June 15, 2023, 11:14:40 PM

We know that mostly in the field of cryptocurrency there are many users of exchanges that can really be said to be able to withdraw a large amount of money without seeing who made that transaction. And maybe this is one of the reasons why the country's government wants to know about it on exchanges like Kucoin, and Binance.

And the reason investors prefer to use exchanges is that their identity is hidden even if they make large transactions that do not involve the government. In short, traders remain anonymous using exchanges in the crypto business.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

FrozenBit

Activity: 657
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 16, 2023, 03:57:40 AM

Cryptocurrency exchanges have many differences between each other, and those with escrow operations, crypto lending and many other activities are receiving special attention in regulation. A number of countries have enacted regulations and laws to monitor the operations of cryptocurrency exchanges in order to protect investors. However, international regulation of cryptocurrency exchanges still needs more time for regulations to be developed and uniformly applied.
There are still risks when trading cryptocurrencies on exchanges, and investors need to do thorough research before making investment decisions. Investing in cryptocurrencies is a risky action and there is no guarantee of success. Therefore, I encourage investors to invest as much money as they can afford to lose if there is an unforeseen price change.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
June 16, 2023, 04:22:01 AM

I don't get the point of your forum thread.
All crypto exchanges are regulated(or they should be). It doesn't matter if they offer just "crypto to fiat and vice versa" financial services or crypto trading/leverage/margin trading financial services. The authorities might distinguish them, but they are both regulated. In both types of crypto exchanges the users have to submit KYC verification, just like in all fiat financial services.
It doesn't matter if you are using a commercial or an investment bank, in both cases you have to submit KYC verification.
Separating the exchanges into different categories isn't our job. I guess that they are already separated by the regulators.

regulation is not just about "KYC"
yes with bitcoin defined as a currency then businesses offering services to move it are defined as financial businesses that should be regulated.. but there are many regulations. many policies and many services/features of regulations involved

for instance the difference between a non-custody swapshop. vs a custodial portfolio manager investment firm. is that the second version would need some CONSUMER PROTECTION INSURANCE

yep many dont realise that regulations are "suppose" to be to protect consumers. and so thats exactly what they should be.

EG
an insurance company can be part of a 5 of 6 multisig of an exchanges reserves cold wallet(3 exchange executives, 3 insurance agents). and for a premium insure that value should it get hacked.
with the insurer having control of collateral(exchange reserve decisions) the monthly premium can be quite low as its not simply able to be stolen internally by the portfolio manager, because the insurer has signing control over cold wallet->hotwallet movements which are audited

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
irhact

Activity: 616
Merit: 749

View Profile
June 16, 2023, 05:43:12 AM

We have about the same differences between commercial banking and investment banking, and there are many economists arguing about the need to separate (or unite) these 2 activities. We shall have the same discussion with cryptos exchanges.
Many legislators around the world are talking about regulating exchanges, this is what they should talk about first.

All big centralized exchange in the market has this two quality so they fall into the category of be regulated. It would be great if we can separate this two types of exchange just as you said because they are tempting to newbies to us when combined. It's because the options of margin and future trading are available to everyone that's why we're having individuals losing money on this type of trading that they're not familiar with.

Those known commercial exchange should stop allowing  traders without any experience or proof to show that they're professional traders before they start trading using their exchange. If regulations comes then that should be one of the things they should be looking into to protect traders.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2023, 11:53:36 PM

for instance the difference between a non-custody swapshop. vs a custodial portfolio manager investment firm. is that the second version would need some CONSUMER PROTECTION INSURANCE

Juts like banks.

I don't have much money at banks, but I'm happy to know that if one of my banks goes bankrupt, I won't lose my funds, because there's a safety net to protect me. That safety net also includes substantial requirements for banks (well, not substantial enough in my opinion), to prevent bank managers from using customer's money to play Russian roulette with stocks.

Myleschetty

Activity: 1155
Merit: 78

View Profile
June 16, 2023, 11:59:11 PM

The may be good but it seems inappropriate to me and I think the cryptocurrency enthusiasts have to put an end to imitating the idea of the banking sector because already have enough crypto projects claiming to be decentralized where as they still operating in the bank sector way and enslaving the investment.
Enough of that what we have is CEX and DEX no Commercial or Investment exchanges
Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1512

View Profile
June 17, 2023, 07:06:05 AM

It seems people here aren't familiar with banking regulations, so I advise them to read the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_Banking_Act

Just as I approve those regulations on banks, I wish to get the same on exchanges. It would be good for us, as it would leave simple exchanges unregulated.

If you really want to see how stringent the regulations got, see what was passed after the housing market crash in 2008. You would be surprised at how much banks are able to get away with knowing they have federal regulators that will jump in if they need liquidity. As of March of 2020, U.S. banks literally can loan/invest 100% of depositor funds through the fractional reserve banking system -- they don't need to keep a single cent of client funds on hand. Doesn't sound like they're highly regulated with that type of freedom.

Be specific, what exact regulations are you suggesting? Establishment of an FDIC type insurance program?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
June 17, 2023, 07:44:34 AM

If you really want to see how stringent the regulations got, see what was passed after the housing market crash in 2008. You would be surprised at how much banks are able to get away with knowing they have federal regulators that will jump in if they need liquidity. As of March of 2020, U.S. banks literally can loan/invest 100% of depositor funds through the fractional reserve banking system -- they don't need to keep a single cent of client funds on hand. Doesn't sound like they're highly regulated with that type of freedom.

Be specific, what exact regulations are you suggesting? Establishment of an FDIC type insurance program?

something that will break your mind
banks dont lend out depositors money.. .. are you shocked??

they CREATE money when they set up mortgages. yep thats right new money.
they were limited to only create new value to a ~% of inflation against total value on deposit.

thats where i think you got confused about the fractional reserve part. they dont borrow deposits. they create a X% of new value compared to deposits when they create mortgage loans

the other different "fractional reserve system" was something else. it was where when people deposit bank notes to get bank account balance..  those bank notes were to be burned when creating electronic account balance.
but banks then had to have small <10% (of the electronic bank balance) to hand in the form of new bank notes to honour account withdrawals. which is where the banks then bought (at face value) crisp new bank notes. which meant the US Mint(treasury) got money for the fractional reserve
however due to most people now using visa/mastercard for payments instead of cash via ATMS the % of fractional reserve has decreased to nearly nothing

the treasury(us mint) didnt like getting less and less income and are now making a CBDC to replace the need for banks and visa/mastercard where the treasury again takes more control of citizens accounts and takes any fee's or investment plans they can create from CBDC

and now you should be fully uptodate of how the system has and does and will work

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
June 17, 2023, 09:38:43 AM

It seems people here aren't familiar with banking regulations, so I advise them to read the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_Banking_Act

Just as I approve those regulations on banks, I wish to get the same on exchanges. It would be good for us, as it would leave simple exchanges unregulated.

everyone must have different opinions about banking, I think, where people switch to dicrypto investment because they are fed up with the government setting a wealth tax that is equal to people who have a lot of wealth with the wealth of small people,

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2023, 03:43:56 PM

they were limited to only create new value to a ~% of inflation against total value on deposit.

thats where i think you got confused about the fractional reserve part. they dont borrow deposits. they create a X% of new value compared to deposits when they create mortgage loans

the other different "fractional reserve system" was something else. it was where when people deposit bank notes to get bank account balance..  those bank notes were to be burned when creating electronic account balance.
but banks then had to have small <10% (of the electronic bank balance) to hand in the form of new bank notes to honour account withdrawals. which is where the banks then bought (at face value) crisp new bank notes. which meant the US Mint(treasury) got money for the fractional reserve
however due to most people now using visa/mastercard for payments instead of cash via ATMS the % of fractional reserve has decreased to nearly nothing

the treasury(us mint) didnt like getting less and less income and are now making a CBDC to replace the need for banks and visa/mastercard where the treasury again takes more control of citizens accounts and takes any fee's or investment plans they can create from CBDC

and now you should be fully uptodate of how the system has and does and will work

Yep, banks create money, and some people have tried to make the same thing with so called stable coins, which were supposed to be backed with hard currency (well, fiat currency, because the US dollar is not that hard...) but which were not.

Additionally, some investment exchanges have launched schemes where it is possible to borrow BTC. I would not bet (unless they become properly regulated) that these coins are fully backed with customer deposits.

That's another reason to stick to the simplest swap shops...

Bananington

Activity: 1414
Merit: 344

View Profile
June 19, 2023, 04:13:35 PM

The topic itself is decisive on its own for the simple fact that it clearly states the services in its terms.
Both commercial exchanges and investment exchanges should be best suited per individual need at the moment and not be a 'who does what best' kinda option in dire situations.
If an idea like this commercial exchange should last, it may be because it is fast, doesn't get congestion, strictly regulated , lower fees and a 24hour service incase I need to perform a transaction in the middle of the night. It is worse with region based service.

I also think an investment exchange serves across borders of both international and local transactions, like a dual purpose system where I can trade, invest, and exchange between currencies/swapping. If it is decentralized, it serves as the main reason for crypto existence, regulators need not be inclusive as it disrupts the truth in what decentralization stands for.
Both exists as it stands and it boils down to per individual decision on what serves best with consideration on safety, ease of use and anonymity.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
Blitzboy

Activity: 1218
Merit: 556

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
June 20, 2023, 04:38:56 AM

Indeed, banks' ability to create money via loans, not simply lending depositors' funds, resonates with me. Yet, remember, this sits within a governed system, vulnerable to issues like inflation if mishandled. The fractional reserve system, while partly correct in your depiction, lacks depth. True, banks hold a modest portion of total deposits as reserves, but it's more intricate than you suggest.

Regarding CBDCs, their ascent is noteworthy but not a game changer. They won't oust banks or decentralize currencies like Bitcoin. Cryptocurrencies offer an escape route from conventional finance, giving a financial autonomy that inherently centralized CBDCs may not rival.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2023, 09:12:25 PM

Now that the subject is pretty well explained, I'd like to see some BTC webzine making an article about it.
Come on, it happens some days that there aren't much news. Many bitcoiners need to know about it.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: