Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:55:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think we have a problem with 12 seed recovery phrase  (Read 318 times)
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16587

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2023, 11:33:10 AM

Unless you are meaning finding an individual private key which can be used as I've explained above in order to create a script with a hash which matches that of your multi-sig? And actually, since there are 296 private keys on average per address for the same reason, then I suppose the chance is in fact identical.
This is what I was thinking. You just explained it much better Smiley

"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
June 04, 2023, 05:41:05 AM

I don't think it's as small as the oxygen molecule example that I gave (though I've never tried to estimate it, so I suppose I could be mistaken about that), but it definitely is plenty small enough to also be considered "not possible" by any reasonable person.
The oxygen example is an extreme one.

Absolutely.

Even if everyone in the world did literally nothing but constantly generate new wallets for millions of years, we still wouldn't get a collision. It is safe to assume the chance of a random collision is zero, just as it is safe to assume the chance of randomly suffocating is zero.

Exactly. The whole point of the analogy is to demonstrate something that the average person IS willing to say is "impossible" while pointing out that the probability is NOT zero.

It's a real-life example that people can maybe sort of grasp.  Once they're willing to accept that there are SOME "non-zero" probabilities that are realistically "impossible", it becomes a bit easier to accept that the chance of a bitcoin address collision might be one of those types of "impossible".
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: