Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:36:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Warning]: New Mystic Stealer targets 40 web browsers and crypto wallets  (Read 216 times)
icalical

Activity: 1372
Merit: 268

Graphic & Motion Designer

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2023, 10:25:01 AM

Just read the link provided by OP at the bottom here https://inquest.net/blog/2023/06/15/mystic-stealer-new-kid-block.

I try to find how to spot if my system is compromise, but there is no easy way to detect that, usually we can spot a malware by its process name on the 'Task Manager' (on windows) or Activity Monitor (for Mac). But in the article there is no way do such thing to spot the malware, the only thing to do was trace the network route, whether or not our browser send some data to certain server, which might be just few easy step for some people, but for someone that are not too savvy with networking that will be quite tricky to do.

Yamane_Keto

Activity: 476
Merit: 487

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2023, 01:05:16 PM

Targeted Cryptocurrency Applications represent a mixture of closed and open source wallets, which means that the target is not cryptocurrency wallets, but the operating system. Your use of the Linux operating system will reduce these risks a lot.Do not install applications from unknown sources, random clicking on links and similar tips are still good solutions for such viruses, but I think that antivirus services prepare such lists of wallets to give fragmented solutions and thus higher returns for them.
UchihaSarada

Activity: 448
Merit: 141

View Profile
June 24, 2023, 04:09:19 AM

Targeted Cryptocurrency Applications represent a mixture of closed and open source wallets, which means that the target is not cryptocurrency wallets, but the operating system.
When they successfully infect your computer, they can collect many types of data and can analyze data they steal from your devices to do further steps. Like stealing your online accounts, your exchange accounts or accessing your cryptocurrency wallets and moving your coins and tokens.

They can do it instantly with your compromised cryptocurrency wallets or they can simply note it down, add it to their real time tracker tools and wait till a day your wallets have a big IN transaction then they will steal that big amount.

Your use of the Linux operating system will reduce these risks a lot.Do not install applications from unknown sources, random clicking on links and similar tips are still good solutions for such viruses, but I think that antivirus services prepare such lists of wallets to give fragmented solutions and thus higher returns for them.
Linux is less targeted by hackers than Windows and it is better to use if you are using cryptocurrency wallet.
Linux Mint https://linuxmint.com/

Even you use Linux, don't do everything, install many softwares on a computer you store your wallets. Have air-gapped wallets to store your cryptocurrency is best on whatever operating system.
TravelMug

Activity: 2646
Merit: 838

View Profile
July 02, 2023, 01:38:15 AM

It's obvious that this are cracks software from Warez and most likely it might continue some form of malware.

Same for Torrents, you might not be aware but this criminals can attach malware too to the movies or anything that you downloaded.

So the moral of the story is that you shouldn't download from unknown sites, simply as that.
Can it be applied with GIFs?

I remembered I read that GIFs can be used to attach malwares and those GIF files can infect our devices too. That writer recommends that we should limit ourselves in using GIFs. Like in Telegram, we should turn off automatic download features to avoid potential threats.

How to stop Telegram Auto-download

Yes, I think GIF's too can be attached and put a malware by this criminals. Like in this report: Hackers can now sneak malware into the GIFs you share. So no one is safe, everybody should do their due diligence right now. You can't just open anything in the web without our crypto not compromised as it is not the top target of criminals as it is easy to hide once they stole our crypto as transactions are irreversible.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
cryptomaniac_xxx

Activity: 1512
Merit: 566

View Profile
July 02, 2023, 10:08:57 AM

Targeted Cryptocurrency Applications represent a mixture of closed and open source wallets, which means that the target is not cryptocurrency wallets, but the operating system. Your use of the Linux operating system will reduce these risks a lot.Do not install applications from unknown sources, random clicking on links and similar tips are still good solutions for such viruses, but I think that antivirus services prepare such lists of wallets to give fragmented solutions and thus higher returns for them.

Yes, but the thing is not everyone is fond of using Unix or Linux flavor as a OS because it's not user friendly like Windows.

So most likely this is the target audience of this stealer and for us crypto users, very hard to really get away of not using Windows. And with that, we really need to be very careful as others have said. Clicking links or even downloading is not a safe practice.

Always go with the official website if we want to download something.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: