Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:32:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Measuring the randomness of a seed phrase  (Read 588 times)
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18512

View Profile
July 22, 2023, 02:55:42 PM

Or just feed your string to /dev/urandom instead. I believe you can do that with echo "example" >> /dev/urandom, although i don't know whether it's proper way to do it.
I didn't know you can do this.
There is a package called rng-tools, originally written by Jeff Garzik, which will do this:

https://github.com/nhorman/rng-tools
https://linux.die.net/man/8/rngd

suggests feeding it with basically a microphone or webcam.
Shot noise, as you would get from a webcam pointed at a light source, can be a source of true random numbers.
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18512

View Profile
August 03, 2023, 11:14:58 AM

But the question remains: is 99% randomness significantly better than 90% randomness?
Yes, clearly. If I can predict what you would choose 1% of the time versus I can predict what you would choose 10% of the time, then that's an order of magnitude difference.

We might not be as fast, but our brains are incredible at contemplating and imagining the concept of randomness!
They really aren't. There is no evolutionary advantage to imagining or visualizing completely abstract random numbers. There is, however, a strong evolutionary advantage to noticing patterns, sequences, order, and so on. Our brains are hardwired to be ordered and logical, which is why we are so terrible at picking random numbers and why there are tens of thousands of examples of brainwallets being hacked.
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 7494

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
August 03, 2023, 11:25:38 AM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

But the question remains: is 99% randomness significantly better than 90% randomness?
Yes, clearly. If I can predict what you would choose 1% of the time versus I can predict what you would choose 10% of the time, then that's an order of magnitude difference.

We might not be as fast, but our brains are incredible at contemplating and imagining the concept of randomness!
They really aren't. There is no evolutionary advantage to imagining or visualizing completely abstract random numbers. There is, however, a strong evolutionary advantage to noticing patterns, sequences, order, and so on. Our brains are hardwired to be ordered and logical, which is why we are so terrible at picking random numbers and why there are tens of thousands of examples of brainwallets being hacked.

I would suggest you stop reply to post with main purpose of SEO spam, which sometimes padded with AI generated text to make it less spammy.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████