Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:55:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I thought I would never get hacked...  (Read 1041 times)
Synchronice

Activity: 854
Merit: 779

Watch Bitcoin Documentary - https://t.ly/v0Nim

View Profile
September 06, 2023, 08:26:35 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Please, don't use Grammarly if you want to remain anonymous online under different names on different platforms. They record every sentence that you type, then analyze your writing ability, your writing style, manner, etc.
In order to improve your writing ability and expand your vocabulary, I suggest you to use Cambridge books, personally I love them and Thomas BJ has great books for vocabulary and idioms.
I was also using the Grammarly extension in the past but have now switched to Quillbot's platform, which, in my opinion, is far better. However, do you have a source for your statement? It sounds too far-fetched that it's gathering your data and possibly abusing it.
Here you can see it: What Information Does Grammarly Process or Collect?.
It is not a bold statement and doesn't really need source to prove it. It's simple, it's business and we all know that these companies use every piece of our data to improve their product, improve their marketing and increase their sales, also to spy on us.

I used it quite often in the past, but never bothered to read their TOS. I still have their extension installed, but as I mentioned earlier, I use Quillbot to correct any mistakes I make. I guess it's about time the Grammarly extension is permanently removed from my browser. It seems that not everything is as innocent as it looks.
Maybe we should popularize the idea of Fuck Grammarly Ask Me?
I used to believe that businesses were doing what they were saying but when I grew up and started work, I understood that absolutely everything is a lie in every industry with only a few exceptions, there are only a few, probably one in a million companies/people that really back up their words and are honest. Otherwise, not only Grammarly but even food industry is a big joke and lie when they write down Organic on their product.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ultegra134

Activity: 1554
Merit: 744

View Profile
September 06, 2023, 05:19:10 PM

I used it quite often in the past, but never bothered to read their TOS. I still have their extension installed, but as I mentioned earlier, I use Quillbot to correct any mistakes I make.
I've never heard of Quillbot before, but a quick look at their Privacy Policy isn't any better:

When you use our Services, we may also collect personal data you provide or otherwise make available to us via our Services. For example, when you use the plagiarism checker, we store a copy of your document, which includes any information contained within. When you use our Paraphraser tool, we will collect any information you paraphrase, including personal data you enter into Paraphraser. When you upload documents to our Services, we will store both a copy of the original document (or the text of the original document) as well as the paraphrased version and any information contained within. When you use our Co-Writer service, we will collect any information, including personal data, you enter into your project(s) within Co-Writer.

And alongside that they collect all the usual name, email address, IP address, geolocation, browser fingerprint, and also very concerningly, "Browsing or search history".

I guess it's about time the Grammarly extension is permanently removed from my browser. It seems that not everything is as innocent as it looks.
Good idea. You should make a habit of only having the minimum number of essential browser extensions installed, such as uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere. Every unnecessary extension presents a new attack surface and makes your fingerprint more unique.
That's interesting; however, are you talking about the extension or the browser version? Because it sounds way too farfetched and doesn't make too much sense. I was considering upgrading to their premium membership, but I'm having second thoughts. I'm only using their website and haven't installed their extension, as I'm trying to avoid more unnecessary ones that slow down the browser even more. Thus, I don't think what you said can be applied to those who are not using their extension, am I right? At least, they cannot obtain as much information as their privacy policy claims.

I'm starting to think that every website or extension is a possible threat to your security and privacy. I've become a little paranoid after suffering from a fake Google Sheets extension.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18515

View Profile
September 07, 2023, 05:34:42 AM

That's interesting; however, are you talking about the extension or the browser version?
I would presume that their Privacy Policy applies equally to all their products.

Thus, I don't think what you said can be applied to those who are not using their extension, am I right?
Everything you type or paste in to their website will absolutely be being stored as described above, and unless you are using a fresh Tor identity each time, then everything you type in will be linked to everything else you type in via cookies or your browser fingerprint.

You should try looking for an open source alternative you can download and run locally. I'm afraid I have no experience of such things so can't recommend anything.
Ultegra134

Activity: 1554
Merit: 744

View Profile
September 07, 2023, 08:19:20 PM

That's interesting; however, are you talking about the extension or the browser version?
I would presume that their Privacy Policy applies equally to all their products.

Thus, I don't think what you said can be applied to those who are not using their extension, am I right?
Everything you type or paste in to their website will absolutely be being stored as described above, and unless you are using a fresh Tor identity each time, then everything you type in will be linked to everything else you type in via cookies or your browser fingerprint.

You should try looking for an open source alternative you can download and run locally. I'm afraid I have no experience of such things so can't recommend anything.
That's interesting; however, is that really necessary? My point is that my main usage of Quillbot is limited to using it to correct some grammar and punctuation mistakes, mainly on my Bitcointalk posts or when I'm writing a formal email and want to avoid any kind of grammatical mistakes. Now that I'm thinking about it, the latter doesn't sound like a good idea anymore, as such an email might be confidential, and you're practically giving your private information away.

I'm not sure, but abandoning those kinds of services or at least using them a little more conservatively might be a good idea until I can find an open-source alternative.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x