Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:52:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin100 & water.org, et al.  (Read 1333 times)
Bitcoin 100 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 08:44:41 AM
Last edit: December 17, 2011, 05:13:14 PM by Bitcoin 100

I wish to thank bithobo for creating, with my input, the following image. For his efforts, I'll be donating 5 BTC to the very next Bitcoin100 wallet--starting soon.

Most of you may be wondering what this is all about, and what the hell this image has to do with it.

Quite frankly, I barely have a clue, too. But upon first seeing bithobo's handiwork here, I couldn't rest till he completed what I envisioned, above.

What you're viewing is a mock-up of the obverse side of a two-sided Bitcoin bill. Before I proceed, allow me to state that the vanity address is fake, but possibly important to the talking points of this thread. If this were a real bill, as bithobo sees them being one day, that vanity address would match the large QR code within the image which, by the way, does work and links to the water.org website. On the other bills created, he has the URL on the side directed toward bitcoin.org, whereas I suggested water.org in this example, again, up for discussion on this thread. The QR code above the Bitcoin symbol links to bitcoin.org and, it too, is functional. The water.org logo in the image was acquired from their website. Note the same blue hue from the logo is used in the two number ones, which also incorporates  the color orange, represented in the Biitcoin logo. That same shade of orange is carried over to the texts on the right side of the overall image.

But enough of the design elements. The question remains, what the heck are we going to do with it? Hence this thread. This image in my mind kept pulling at me, and I felt that someway, somehow, this can be utilized by Bitcoin in general and, moreover, Bitcoin100 in particular. Yes, I have some ideas, but I also felt that during any articulation, my thought process would get lost in translation. Therefore, I made the conscience decision to have the community discuss what direction, if any, should be taken in respect to this image which represents a physical Bitcoin bill--if it were real.

Feel free to discuss the design elements, as well as what you would like to see changed and why. Also, ask questions, thus allowing me to pick my brain to conjure up answers.

The one thing I like to bring to your attention is picture, if you will, this type of bill uniquely designed for other nonprofit organizations, let alone the myriad of corporate institutes.

Note the vanity address, albeit being fake.

Here's hoping you enjoyed the image, regardless if you opt to not join the conversation.

~Bruno~
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2011, 05:08:37 PM

Sorry for the bump via this using name, but wanted to make sure it wasn't missed. I would love to see a discussion centered around this idea.

Perhaps, if something like this were an actual card, it may be distributed to passers-by during some formal function, having no value, but bringing awareness to Bitcoin as a donation option.

If an actual bill, possibly they're exchanged by the nonprofits, or corporate entities, for fiat, to be used in the Bitcoin community.

Again, I'm just brainstorming here, hoping the community provides a direction, whereupon I'll jump back in, adding my comments as well.

~Bruno~
bitstarter

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2011, 06:20:49 PM

Hmm you just spurred an idea.

If the "charity" involves feeding of kids/familes if we include a card/and or bill with their initial donation that from there on out someone could feed their wallet address with  donations for them to convert to their currency. The only downside is  don't know how many have access to computers? anywho here is how I envision it...

Of course we could do a website where it says:

abcperson/family   picture of the person/bio   wallet address

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2011, 07:07:30 PM

I'm headed off to work but will be giving this some thought. (The main purpose of this post is to subscribe to this thread and give it a little bump.)

Still around.
Bitcoin 100 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 07:30:16 PM

I'm headed off to work but will be giving this some thought. (The main purpose of this post is to subscribe to this thread and give it a little bump.)

Thank you kindly edd, for the bump and for giving it further though. Drive safely!

Hmm you just spurred an idea.

If the "charity" involves feeding of kids/familes if we include a card/and or bill with their initial donation that from there on out someone could feed their wallet address with  donations for them to convert to their currency. The only downside is  don't know how many have access to computers? anywho here is how I envision it...

Of course we could do a website where it says:

abcperson/family   picture of the person/bio   wallet address

Slightly different tangent than I had it mind for this, but what you did outline is something I've considered, saving it for another day. In brief, there are charitable organizations that let you know the exact person (normally a child) your donation helps. I'm planning on listing as many of those as possible. Hopefully, the results of our efforts, once implemented, will further along Bitcoin via the direct connections made with them. Stay tuned, for further development on this idea--coming soon.

~ ~~~~~~~~

Any other thoughts on this card? Design? Usage? Bad idea, because...? Wish I would have thought of it, but...?

~Bruno~
Bitcoin 100 (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 02:46:11 AM

Due to the overwhelming responses, I'll try my darndest to comment on everybody's post.

Seriously, is every one have a severe case of the Mondays, though it's Saturday, keeping the creating juices from flowing?

~Bruno~
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 05:32:52 AM

I don't get it.

Do you plan of giving out bitcoins, then pressure the recipient to transfer those same bitcoins to the charity illustrated on the bill?

In any case, you appear to be breaking the paper currency metaphor.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Bitcoin 100 (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 06:52:21 AM

I don't get it.

Do you plan of giving out bitcoins, then pressure the recipient to transfer those same bitcoins to the charity illustrated on the bill?

In any case, you appear to be breaking the paper currency metaphor.

Then let's not look at it as a paper currency. Let's look it as a business card or a calling card or some other type of card. It's the impact of the image and the relative information on the card that strikes me as a powerful tool. In this example, it's water.org. For another example, it could be for The Salvation Army, or AARP, or for Girl Scout Cookies, or Alpaca Socks, or for Ron Paul, or for any Super Pac.

I know that this idea looks crazy on the surface, hence asking for a dialog to see where this can lead us. Perhaps nowhere but, then again, perhaps toward a direction not yet thought of. Case in point, you offered up concern(s), whereupon I felt they were valid, so I offered up a new direction. A direction that didn't necessary come to mind prior to reading your post.

All in all, I'm excited about this idea, yet don't know which direction to take it. All I ask is stare at the image for about a minute and let the creative juices flow. I know it sounds corny, but...

~Bruno~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: